Weight Distribution Hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #1

Weight Distribution Hitch?

Me again...

With my GMC 1500 I did not need a weight distribution hitch for my 17B trailer, whereas I did have one years ago when I had a 17' Boler and a Pathfinder.

Will I need this type of hitch for a Toyota Tacoma and my 17B?

What do all you out there with Tacomas and 17B use? I'd love to hear about your set up. Thanks.
eskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nadia - we had Reace install a WDH when we picked up our 17B. I have towed without it on and greatly prefer using it. It makes the Tacoma and 17B feel like one unit more than a truck towing a trailer. We both feel like the ride is much better with the WDH installed - much less porpoising. The one we have is the standard WDH not the newer more expensive Andersen model. Our old "crude" one works very well for us, but seems to be an object of derision here lately

I would have to look in the manual again, but I think for our year Toyota recommended a WHD.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I did not get a WDH when I bought the 17, and the trailer tows fine. That said, I'd like to experience towing WITH a WDH to see the comparison.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I did not get a WDH when I bought the 17, and the trailer tows fine. That said, I'd like to experience towing WITH a WDH to see the comparison.
I was the same towing my 19 with my Pilot. I had no issues at all without the WDH. Last year I put it on as a curiosity, and due to the fact that I wanted my wife driving more, and it did make a difference to the ride. It kinda removed some of what I refer to as 'trailer action'. Something I do not consider unsafe at all, but for someone not used to towing, a WDH might give them a bit more confidence.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
You can come try out ours when we get back. We're having ETI install the Andersen WDH.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
Hi: For 3 years, I towed our 17B with my Tacoma (Access Cab, 4*4, V6, tow package) without a WD hitch. The 17B was glued behind the truck including in high winds. No problems with either sway or porpoising. Switched to a 19 last year which catches the wind more than the 17. Consequently, I added sway control (the weight distribution part of the hitch doesn't have much to do as the tongue load is well within the truck's capability). The Tacoma manual recommends sway control for trailers over 905 kg and weight distribution for trailers over 2265 kg. While the 17 is a bit heavier than 905 kg, based on my experience, I'd try pulling the trailer without sway control and see how it feels. ps. big benefit of the Tacoma and 17B is U turns, the trailer is a little shorter than the truck, so if the truck can do a U turn, the trailer can to! Great news if you're like me and make wrong turns a lot. It's the one thing I miss having moved to a 19.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Page 227 of the 2014 Tacoma owners' manual says to use a weight distribution hitch if the gross trailer weight is over 5000 pounds.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...df/sec_2-5.pdf

This is the same recommendation given for my Tundra, so I wonder if it really is just a blanket statement they make for all trucks?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I looked at the 2008 Tacoma online manual and under trailer towing it says: " We recommend you use a weight distributing hitch when towing to keep your vehicle level with the ground." I can't find any other mention of weight with that recommendation. As far as sway control is says: "If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 907 kg (2000 lb.), it is necessary to use a sway control device with sufficient capacity."

So Nadia, I guess it depends upon what year Tacoma you end up with, as far as what Toyota recommends.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I could, I would do without the WDH. It's heavy and a PIA to use. But, since my RAV drops two inches without it and the ride is significantly improved with it, I use it.
I'd try without first. At least that way, you'll appreciate the improvement when you use it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
This is the same recommendation given for my Tundra, so I wonder if it really is just a blanket statement they make for all trucks?
Probably. It likely goes with a hitch weight limit of 500 pounds without WD, and an assumption that hitch weight is 10% of trailer weight. If you have more hitch weight than that, they want to counteract some of the load transfer from front to rear with a WD.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If I could, I would do without the WDH. It's heavy and a PIA to use. But, since my RAV drops two inches without it and the ride is significantly improved with it, I use it.
I'd try without first. At least that way, you'll appreciate the improvement when you use it.
And if you find the truck's rear drops too much without WD, but you are still within the rated rear axle capacity of the truck, you can try airbags to boost the truck's suspension before resorting to a WD system.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
As far as sway control is says: "If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 907 kg (2000 lb.), it is necessary to use a sway control device with sufficient capacity."
That one is definitely a standard blurb in all Toyota manuals. I generally don't suggest disregarding manufacturer's instructions, but that one I ignore. I even checked with Toyota (regarding my Sienna van), and they said the statement no longer applied (yet they still kept printing it...).
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I towed a Escape 19 without a WDH, my tow rig was a big Tundra.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #14

thanks for all the information, it has been very helpful!
eskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My WDH is easy to use and very effective at improving the ride quality. Takes about two minutes longer to hook up as compared to no WDH. My tug is an FJ Cruiser and I would not tow my 19' for any significant distance without it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote