Weight Distribution Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Weight Distribution Question

I'm looking to swap out our stock 20lb propane tanks with 30lb propane tanks. I have the E2 fastway weight distribution hitch for our 21C. Do I need to be concerned with the extra weight or does the E2 fastway take care of that?

As always - thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you have an accurate scale reading on your tongue weight and you are within spec on your tow vehicle limit, then adding the weight of the bigger tank and the additional propane should be calculable and as long as you can tighten the hitch to compensate I can’t see a problem. Measure your distance on your front fender curve to the ground before you add the weight then adjust to pull the fender rim back down after the additional weight is added to the tongue
Iowa Dave
Old 11-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Thanks Dave. I don't have a tongue scale, but perhaps I should get one. The E2 Fastway does not use chains so I don't see a way (easily) to adjust the bars. I think I need to do some research on some of the terms you mentioned and probably the whole setup. I got fairly lazy about it with our 19 as we never changed anything and we have an F150 that is rated to tow 10,800 pounds, and we never had a problem.

With the 21C I opted for the WDH because it is a larger trailer and is close to 50-percent of our towing capacity, but I'm beginning to realize that I need to learn a bit more.

When you say "Measure your distance on your front fender curve to the ground" what front fender are your referring to? The one on the trailer or the back or front fender on the tow vehicle?

Thanks very much for your input on this.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
That small difference in weight will likely not make a difference but if you need to adjust it is done with washers in the hitch head. You should be able to find your manual here which will also go through the whole setup procedure:
https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

I bought the Equal-i-zer with 4 point sway control and set it up myself. Very similar design to the Fastway. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:44 PM   #5

The front fender of the tow vehicle when setting on the flat, level concrete. On the Highlander this is 31 inches Weight of trailer pushes the back end of truck down and the front fender and headlights go up. Then the tension on the hitch is increased to “distribute” more weight to the front of the truck till the fender is back to the original distance. On my Highlander the starting point is 32 inches. It probably deflects about 2 to three inches with 500 lbs tongue weight, the factory stated limit. I tighten the adjusting nuts so 5 1/2 threads show on the outside of the nuts. This makes us tow level which is the generally accepted standard. To adjust the tongue weight the trailer can be loaded with heavy things in the front or back. On the 21 the fresh water tank sets behind the tandem axles so about 10 to 15 gallons of water helps take some weight off the front end. Empty grey and black tanks take weight off the front. Once you get set up the way you like it and the trailer tows without sway or porpoising you’ll just set it up that way each time unless you change something significantly (like bikes on the back or bigger propane tanks etc.
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-17-2022, 01:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
I'm looking to swap out our stock 20lb propane tanks with 30lb propane tanks. I have the E2 fastway weight distribution hitch for our 21C. Do I need to be concerned with the extra weight or does the E2 fastway take care of that?!
The WDH doesn't take care of anything by itself. If the slight increase in tongue weight reduces the front axle load enough to be a concern, then you can adjust the WDH to correct that, as Dave noted.

WDH adjustment is to set appropriate axle loads (specifically to get the front axle load back to close to what it would be without the trailer, reducing rear axle load and increasing trailer axle load). It is not for levelling: if the trailer is not level with the axle loads appropriate, then the hitch height needs to be adjusted.

The bigger tanks will be about 7 pounds heavier, each (assuming typical steel construction). They will hold 10 pounds more propane each when full, so when they are both full the total weight at the tank location will be about 34 pounds higher. The tanks are very close to the coupler, so the change will add about 25 pounds to the tongue weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 21
If you do change your tanks to 30 lb ones , you will have to get a longer threaded rod and a larger propane cover as I did when I went to 30 lb tanks
Old 11-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Hi DT6
I have used the Fastway E2 for 6 years with our Rpod and found it very forgiving in cases like this. You should not need to make any adjustments, but you should note the fender measurements as mentioned in other responses. I added an extra, flooded cell battery which was an additional 50lbs and did not see any change to my rig measurements.

All the best!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Weight distribution calculation - "Laser Measuring Tool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The front fender of the tow vehicle when setting on the flat, level concrete. On the Highlander this is 31 inches Weight of trailer pushes the back end of truck down and the front fender and headlights go up. Then the tension on the hitch is increased to “distribute” more weight to the front of the truck till the fender is back to the original distance. On my Highlander the starting point is 32 inches. It probably deflects about 2 to three inches with 500 lbs tongue weight, the factory stated limit. I tighten the adjusting nuts so 5 1/2 threads show on the outside of the nuts. This makes us tow level which is the generally accepted standard. To adjust the tongue weight the trailer can be loaded with heavy things in the front or back. On the 21 the fresh water tank sets behind the tandem axles so about 10 to 15 gallons of water helps take some weight off the front end. Empty grey and black tanks take weight off the front. Once you get set up the way you like it and the trailer tows without sway or porpoising you’ll just set it up that way each time unless you change something significantly (like bikes on the back or bigger propane tanks etc.
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Reopening this thread. Today, I got an email from etrailer.com with a claim about a laser measuring tool" to calculate weight distribution on a trailer. It sounds too good to be true. Does this device do what is claimed? Has anyone used it? The email content is below.
Cheers,
Darrell

[I]Safe Weight Distribution (& Math) Made Easy
Inbox

etrailer.com <csp@m.etrailer.com>

If you’re one of those folks who think “ugh, math,” if you like to save time, or if you like to ensure you’re towing safely, (if you’re all 3, even better) meet your new friend the Equal-i-zer OnTarget Laser Measuring Tool. You simply take three measurements at your front wheel well, and the OnTarget calculates if your weight distribution is within a safe zone or if you need to shift your cargo. You can also use it during setup at the campsite to help level your trailer and measure to make sure there’s enough space for your awning or slide out.

Make it easy to ensure you’re towing safely and check it out at

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/EQ37FR.html.

George Jiggs
george@etrailer.com
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs down caveat emptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Reopening this thread. Today, I got an email from etrailer.com with a claim about a laser measuring tool" to calculate weight distribution on a trailer. It sounds too good to be true. Does this device do what is claimed? Has anyone used it? The email content is below.
Cheers,
Darrell

[I]Safe Weight Distribution (& Math) Made Easy
Inbox

etrailer.com <csp@m.etrailer.com>

If you’re one of those folks who think “ugh, math,” if you like to save time, or if you like to ensure you’re towing safely, (if you’re all 3, even better) meet your new friend the Equal-i-zer OnTarget Laser Measuring Tool. You simply take three measurements at your front wheel well, and the OnTarget calculates if your weight distribution is within a safe zone or if you need to shift your cargo. You can also use it during setup at the campsite to help level your trailer and measure to make sure there’s enough space for your awning or slide out.

Make it easy to ensure you’re towing safely and check it out at

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/EQ37FR.html.

George Jiggs
george@etrailer.com
IMO the presentation of this device is dangerously lacking.

What this device does do:
  • It provides a method to estimate the relative distribution of weight (expressed as a % value) between the front axle and rear axle of the tow vehicle. Period.

What this device does not do:
  • It does not provide any expression of actual trailer tongue weight
  • It does not provide any expression of trailer tongue weight as a % of actual loaded total trailer weight
  • It does not provide any expression of the distribution of weight within the trailer itself

Any experienced person who tows knows it is quite possible to achieve 'perfect' distribution of weight between the tow vehicle's front and rear axles while also having totally inadequate tongue weight and / or incorrect distribution of weight within the trailer itself. That is a dangerous situation insofar as a propensity to suffer dread trailer sway.

IMO it is a very serious mistake to think that just because this device tells you your truck's front/rear axle weight distribution is "50-100%" (the stated desired target) you then have "ensure[d] you're towing safely".

There is no shortcut for knowing your bumper-pull trailer's weight distribution expressed as % of total trailer weight on the tongue with the goal of achieving no less than 10%, preferably more within the tongue-weight limits of the tow vehicle. That determination requires the use of weight scales. That determination and weight distribution goal is the same whether or not one uses a WDH.

This $80 device does nothing relating to 'weight distribution' which can't also be accomplished with a $2 tape measure and simple math on your smartphone calculator. Take care, folks.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
IMO the presentation of this device is dangerously lacking.

What this device does do:
  • It provides a method to estimate the relative distribution of weight (expressed as a % value) between the front axle and rear axle of the tow vehicle. Period.

What this device does not do:
  • It does not provide any expression of actual trailer tongue weight
  • It does not provide any expression of trailer tongue weight as a % of actual loaded total trailer weight
  • It does not provide any expression of the distribution of weight within the trailer itself

Any experienced person who tows knows it is quite possible to achieve 'perfect' distribution of weight between the tow vehicle's front and rear axles while also having totally inadequate tongue weight and / or incorrect distribution of weight within the trailer itself. That is a dangerous situation insofar as a propensity to suffer dread trailer sway.

IMO it is a very serious mistake to think that just because this device tells you your truck's front/rear axle weight distribution is "50-100%" (the stated desired target) you then have "ensured you're towing safely".

There is no shortcut for knowing your trailer's weight distribution expressed as % of total trailer weight on the tongue with the goal of achieving no less than 10%, preferably more within the tongue-weight limits of the tow vehicle. That determination requires the use of weight scales. That determination and weight distribution goal is the same whether or not one uses a WDH.

Take care, folks.
Thanks Alan. Their promotional material reminds me of the old "Veg-o-Matic" commercials. Lots of hype.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #12

I could try but I would not be able to express my thoughts any more completely than the post by Alan E. 60 years of towing that’s what I’ve learned.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I could try but I would not be able to express my thoughts any more completely than the post by Alan E. 60 years of towing that’s what I’ve learned.
Iowa Dave
Ditto. I got the same ad from eTrailer, and had me doubts. Alan confirmed them.