weight distribution system of not? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I was intrigued by a recent post that mentioned a particular model of Toyota recommended an anti sway bar when towing over 2,000 pounds and a WDH after 5,000. This was from an owners manual.

There does not seem to be any postings of someone using just an anti sway. Are there any out there?
The anti sway device over 2,000 pound statement is a long-standing standard bit of text in Toyota manuals, possibly for all models for which towing is anything other than "not recommended". It is unrelated to the weight distribution system advice, which varies by model. It is in our Sienna manual, and when I started towing (at about 3,000 pounds trailer weight) I contacted Toyota customer service for clarification of what type of device was intended, and they said that the statement from the manual was no longer applicable; I happily proceeded to tow, and have never used any kind of anti-sway device.

The typical sway control device (as distinct from weight distribution device) used in North America is the bar type (e.g. Reese 83660), in which a bar is clamped between friction pads so it can telescope with resistance and mounts to one side of the ball. While WD hitch heads routinely have a place to install the small ball used as an attachment and pivot point on the tow vehicle end, weight-carrying (non-WD) ball mounts usually don't provide any way to mount the sway control device; to handle this, there are add-on brackets (e.g. Reese 26003) and rare ball mounts with a tab for sway control ball (e.g. Curt 45820). While these brackets and mounts exist, I've never seen one in a store, and never seen anyone using one... which indicates how rarely they are used.

I can see why the vast majority of people don't use this junk. There's no reasonable way to ensure appropriate adjustment, the manufacturers recommend disconnecting them in low-traction conditions because if overly tight they adversely affect control (!), and if not installed in exactly the right place they can pull apart or jam together in tight turns so the manufacturers recommend removing them when backing up.

In Europe, practices are different. WD is very rarely used, and tongue weights are much lower as a fraction of trailer and tow vehicle weights. As a result, there is more demand for a sway control device (not associated with a weight-distributing hitch), and couplers which clamp onto the ball with friction pads are common.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 17b
Yes on wdh

We initially purchased a 17b and did not have a wdh and pulling with my 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4wd v6 sport model. If you have the off-road package you likely have stiffer suspension than mine. We then bought a 21 and then purchased a wdh being concerned with the extra weight. I prefer the safety aspect not having the 1/2 ton truck and don’t mind the extra step of connecting the wdh.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
A rule of thumb that I have always used is that if the GVWR of the trailer is 50% or more of the GVWR of the tow vehicle, run a WDH. For example, with my present combination of a 2005 17B (GVWR 3505 lbs) and 2009 Ford Ranger (GVWR 5000 lbs) I use an E2 4500 lb Trunion style WDH.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rockcrawler View Post
A rule of thumb that I have always used is that if the GVWR of the trailer is 50% or more of the GVWR of the tow vehicle, run a WDH. For example, with my present combination of a 2005 17B (GVWR 3505 lbs) and 2009 Ford Ranger (GVWR 5000 lbs) I use an E2 4500 lb Trunion style WDH.

I should add that 2 summers ago, I used my son's 3500 Dodge crew cab short box 4X4 to pull the trailer from the Island to Medicine Hat and back with just a ball hitch. Towed like a dream even with the Prairie cross winds. No sway or porpoising. (I know, A little overkill for tow vehicle) Loved the exhaust brake with the diesel and manual transmission.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Safety is your #1 priority. Our Anderson anti-sway hitch made it easy to haul our 2015 Escape 19 Trailer. I would prefer to prevent an accident.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 1980 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
Hi Everyone, We are in line to receive our 2021 Escape in Dec 2021. My towing vehicle will be a 2011Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6. Should i just assume that whatever is standard for the Escape 19 interms of stabilization will not be enough and I will need the weight distribution systems with stabilizer bar. I have not owned a trailer before so just trying to figure some of the initial issues to ensure safety. What recommendations do folks have or is the options provided by Escape totally adequate?
Thanks
Don
Hi Don[: we have a 19' Escape pulled with an equiizer toe link and pulled with our 2019 Tacoma with no problems. I am going to get heavy duty shocks because currently the tacoma is too bouncy. cheers
Rpcart87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #27

Trailer: looking to buy used
I have a 2014 tacoma off-road with Firestone air bags so I can’t use the wdh system. I’ve hauled my 19’ 20,000 k with no issues.
mike o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
I have a 2014 tacoma off-road with Firestone air bags so I can’t use the wdh system.
I'm not encouraging the use of a WDH, but I don't see any reason why having air bags in the suspension would mean that you can't use WDH. The use of air springs does change the WDH adjustment procedure a bit.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #29

Trailer: looking to purchase
I tow with a 2014 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 4WD heavier suspension. I use an Andersen hitch to tow about 4,000 lbs. it is relatively easy to remove/replace, and has provided a stable ride in strong crosswinds, potholes, washboard dirt roads and our interstates that provide a rough, uncomfortable ride. I would suggest one, but make sure that you understand how it works and proper installation and adjustments
cocinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #30

Trailer: looking to buy used
When ordering the trailer their paper work states you cannot use them together.
mike o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
When ordering the trailer their paper work states you cannot use them together.
Escape's paper work? ETI knows nothing about vehicle design, and this direction directly conflicts with direction from qualified automotive manufacturers who actually build vehicles with air suspension. I suggest ignoring ETI's direction on this subject, other than that you should not expect them to set up a WDH for you on a vehicle with air suspension.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 17A
One benefit of the WDH that I don't often see mentioned is that you can open the dang tailgate!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:39 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm not encouraging the use of a WDH, but I don't see any reason why having air bags in the suspension would mean that you can't use WDH. The use of air springs does change the WDH adjustment procedure a bit.
I have air bags on my F250 and I just set them on 5 lbs pressure when I tow and use my Equal-l-Zer WDH. No problems!
Old 04-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
I have air bags on my F250 and I just set them on 5 lbs pressure when I tow and use my Equal-l-Zer WDH. No problems!
I too have air bags which I air up to 5-10 lbs and they keep the porpoising to a minimum and the trailer/truck level...
Old 04-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #35

Trailer: looking
Quote:
Hi Everyone, We are in line to receive our 2021 Escape in Dec 2021. My towing vehicle will be a 2011Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6. Should i just assume that whatever is standard for the Escape 19 interms of stabilization will not be enough and I will need the weight distribution systems with stabilizer bar. I have not owned a trailer before so just trying to figure some of the initial issues to ensure safety. What recommendations do folks have or is the options provided by Escape totally adequate?
Thanks
Don
We have 19’ purchased in 2018. We pulled it from Chilliwack to Texas with Tacoma TRD - without a stabilizer. After the tying home we bought the Anderson system with great results. We have since gone to Silverton, Colorado twice and several shorter trips in Windy North Texas. The Anderson has improved the cross wind stability, leveling and general handling noticeably.
The Tacoma is a a little underpowered for those long steep pulls in the Rockies but adequate. The transmission takes some getting used to. Pulling any trailer over 1,000 pounds I essentially drive with the shift function watching the tach more than a speedometer. Otherwise it’s constantly “hunting” for the right gear.
Delb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #36

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Quote:
Thanks
Don
Definitely need weight distribution anti sway hitch! Max in truck receiver hitch is 250 lbs.
ONLY safe way to tow your new Escape!!
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
Definitely need weight distribution anti sway hitch! Max in truck receiver hitch is 250 lbs.

I'd double-check this information. My Toyota RAV4 V6 had a max tongue weight of 350 lbs; tow 3,500.
I used a WDH, with no added sway control. Towed my 17B like a dream for 12 years. I now have a Highlander.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:17 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I put Bilstien 5100 rear shocks with add a leaf & Sumo Spring bump stops. Firmed things up just fine on our Tacoma ��
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:48 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
a Tacoma 4x4 should have at least 650 lbs hitch weigth. my 2008 4.0L V6 stickshift Tacoma 4x4 access cab had a trailer rating of 6500 lbs. The big problem was the 1200 lb payload (even lower if its a crew cab), that meant wife+me+dog+hitch+camper shell just about was at the GVWR when we towed our 'new' Escape21 with the Tacoma back from Texas
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #40

Quote:
While not clear, this presumably was intended to mean that the weight-carrying hitch weight limit is 250 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd double-check this information.
I agree - the manual provides the correct limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a Tacoma 4x4 should have at least 650 lbs hitch weight. my 2008 4.0L V6 stickshift Tacoma 4x4 access cab had a trailer rating of 6500 lbs.
A 2011 Tacoma with V6 and towing package has a trailer weight rating of 6300 to 6500 pounds, depending on equipment variations.

As usual, Toyota recommends that hitch weight should be 9% to 11% of trailer weight, but of course that's not appropriate for an Escape, which is more tongue-heavy. In other Toyotas that would lead to a 630 to 650 pound hitch weight limit, but the Tacoma manual does not state any hitch weight limit.

The manual does include:
Quote:
●If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb. (2268 kg), a weight distributing
hitch with sufficient capacity is required.
... which, if you follow the 9% to 11% tongue weight guideline and assume a 5000 pound trailer, implies a limit of 450 to 550 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch.

Like many other Toyota manuals, the 2011 Tacoma manual also includes this:
Quote:
●If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb. (907 kg), a sway control device
with sufficient capacity is required.
If you take it seriously (and almost no one does), combined with 10% tongue weight, this implies that sway control is needed with a hitch weight over about 200 pounds. Use a 12.5% tongue weight fraction, and it's 250 pounds. Sway control and weight distribution are different things, but if you use a WD system with a sway control feature, then you have circuitously arrived at a 250 pound weight limit without WD.

Wow, that was a journey.