What can I safely tow? (2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 door) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joods View Post
We struggle understanding the payload of the Wrangler when the Grand Cherokee has way more tow capacity and yet it is of unibody construction not frame like the Wrangler.
A separate frame is of no benefit in payload. The unibody commercial vans (Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Ram Promaster) all have much higher payload than the body-on-frame full-sized Class 1 pickups (e.g. Ford F-150, GM Silverado/Sienna 1500, Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra).

The Wrangler has a separate body and frame because it's traditional, not because it's functionally the best design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:10 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmowry View Post
Jon,
Could you say more about towing with a vehicle rated at 3500/350. I have a 2015 Chevy Equinox with a V6 engine that is rated at 3500. I am considering an Escape 17A or 17B and the dry weights are 2290 for the A and 2640 for the B. The hitch weight is rated at 306. It sounds like you have experience with a similarly rated 3500/350 vehicle.
Thanks!
Don Mowry
would you be towing the trailer completely empty, option free, and dry ? and not putting anything othe rthan driver+passenger in the tow vehicle? you might be OK then. Note those dry weights are for the trailer with NO extras, just the most base model.

me, my trailer tends to be full of food, clothing, bedding, cooking gear, games, magazines and books when I travel, and my truck is often quite full of outdoor stuff like chairs, tables, awning, astronomy gear, etc. and I often have to fill up my water tanks and drive another 100 miles to where i'm setting up, if its remote and then drive it with full holding tanks 100 miles or whatever to find a dump station.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Are you sure that's not kilometers per imperial gallon?

My YJ an TJ both only got around 14 - 15 miles per U.S. gallon not towing.
Yes, I know what you are saying. Our 2006 TJ was not blessed in the fuel mileage category but we do get over 20 consistently with the JK. And pulling the trailer on flat ground (haha) is very decent.
Joods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Yes, I know what you are saying. Our 2006 TJ was not blessed in the fuel mileage category but we do get over 20 consistently with the JK. And pulling the trailer on flat ground (haha) is very decent.
Hi: Joods... A short W/B Cat. dozer should do it...but It's not in the top mpg's category either. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0ta
Unless your a veteran at towing save yourself a lot of grief and scary moments possibly your life and get a better tow vehicle
Me@42659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Just our experience, we pull our Escape 17A with a 2014 JK 4door Wrangler and it is fine. Not blessed with power going up hill but if you are aware and know when to downshift it is good. We still can get decent fuel mileage - average around 21mpg. We struggle understanding the payload of the Wrangler when the Grand Cherokee has way more tow capacity and yet it is of unibody construction not frame like the Wrangler.
We would also like to possibly upgrade to a 19' Escape but we can't do it with this vehicle.
Ditto here. We towed Casita17 with 2017 4 door Wangler Sport for 3 yrs. Jeep owned the Casita without difficulty, east coast, so climbs minimal. Had to use tongue scale to load Casita properly. Very little cargo & only two people in the Jeep, plus my wife is 100lbs. Ultimately, we traded Jeep for a Ford Tranist 150 Cargo Van. Much better tow cap and cargo loading. Allowed my Harley Soft Tail, kayaks, bicycles, and the Casita on camp trips with the cargo van and the milage was better.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote