What hitch for 5.0 TA? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
What hitch for 5.0 TA?

We have put a deposit on a new 5.0 TA. Completion date is Oct 25.

As this will be our first fifth wheel, we have to decide what hitch to purchase.

What do you have?
Pluses & minuses?
Recommendations and advice would be appreciated.
Photos would be helpful.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Lots of 5.0TA owners use the Andersen Ultimate hitch - a unique system for fifth wheels, and there are multiple threads you can search for info and photos of it. I use a traditional fifth wheel hitch - many different brands and types available - and here's a thread about it: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post282463

Two ways to mount a fifth wheel hitch to the bed of your truck - rails or a gooseneck ball. If you have a standard half ton truck there will be plenty of options for installing either of those, for some of the smaller trucks like a Canyon/Colorado it involves more of a custom installation job but certainly can be done.

Trademasters in Chilliwack has a great reputation, knows the 5.0TA very well and has done many hitch installations for Escape owners. You can usually arrange to arrive a day early for your orientation and have the hitch installation done then, they are only a mile or so from ETI.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Went with a B&W Patriot, the only con is it's pretty heavy to remove, if one does such, like me.

The Anderson had just come out and had lots of bad press due to it's very light weight, so I went with the well regarded Patriot. If I were to need a new hitch, it'd be the Anderson, rail or turnover ball mount. I have rails and they don't bother me at all when the hitch is out, and I haul stuff in the bed all the time.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You have a lot of choice, because every model of every brand of hitch has enough capacity for the relatively lightweight Escape.

Your truck box length will limit viable options to some extent. Your truck model will determine what frame brackets are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Two ways to mount a fifth wheel hitch to the bed of your truck - rails or a gooseneck ball...
There are also at least three different "puck" systems, each with four flush anchor pads. They've factory options on at least Ford and GM trucks, but only with the heavier models; some aftermarket hitch brands have bases for them. They probably are not practical if a non-standard hitch location is needed - such as with the shorter boxes - but for people who choose to tow with a heavy long-box truck they provide another option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I have and my vote is for Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
The only problem I see with the Andersen hitch is in some states you are required to use safety chains. They are still considered a ball hitch. Then there is the problem of knowing which states require them. I use a BW Patriot and works very well but I have heard good things about the Andersen also.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
The only problem I see with the Andersen hitch is in some states you are required to use safety chains. They are still considered a ball hitch. Then there is the problem of knowing which states require them. I use a BW Patriot and works very well but I have heard good things about the Andersen also.
It really is not a problem, I just use the chains all the time. Seconds to connect and disconnect, and all is good.

BeWhat I love most about the Anderson fifth wheel hitch is I can disconnect easily and with one hand pass it to my wife over the side of the box.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

Just to add, our tow vehicle is a 2019 Tundra with a 6’ bed.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I use the B&W Patriot. It's heavy, but it has a real solid feel. It's getting a little difficult to hump it up onto the tailgate myself so I make sure one of my boys is around when I'm equipping for a trip.

Weight is the enemy... Keep it simple and keep it light !
chowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
If you read through everyone's experience with different types and brands of hitches, the one thing you will find common to them all is that they really like them and they tow the 5.0TA very smoothly. Most fifth wheel hitches are rated at 14,000 or 21,000 pounds, the 5.0TA's gross weight of 5,500 is so far below that that any hitch you choose will easily be up to the job.

If you're new to fifth wheel hitches, one handy feature common to most but not all fifth wheel hitches is that they articulate (tilt) in both directions. All traditional fifth wheel hitches tilt front to back - they have to in order to be able to negotiate bumps, dips, etc. - but there are still some basic ones that do not tilt from side to side. This is a valuable feature when you are on rough terrain or have a campsite that slopes side to side, it can be difficult hitching and unhitching when your truck and trailer tilt at different angles because of uneven terrain if the head on your hitch doesn't tilt to match up with the trailer angle. You should look for this feature in any standard fifth wheel hitch you consider. The Andersen Ultimate, because it is a ball mount, tilts in every direction so has a lot of flexibility in that regard.

If you plan to use your truck bed for other things when not traveling and want to be able to remove the hitch, how difficult or easy that is can vary widely between hitches. The Andersen hitch is extremely lightweight, I think less than 50 pounds. Most traditional fifth wheel hitches are in the 200 pound range. One thing I like about the Demco Recon is that it is very lightweight for a traditional hitch at 94 pounds, due to the lighter weight base design similar to the Andersen hitch.

Unless you have a heavy duty truck with built-in puck mounts for a fifth wheel hitch you'll need to have either rails or a gooseneck ball installed as a platform for securing your hitch. Rails stay bolted to the bed of your truck when the hitch comes out and can be a minor obstruction if you need a flat bed space to haul something large. There are gooseneck balls that are removable and leave the bed of your truck completely flat when the hitch is out if that's a factor for you. A gooseneck ball will limit your choice of hitch - the Andersen Ultimate comes in both a rail and gooseneck version. Most traditional fifth wheel hitches come only in a rail mounted version although several mentioned here, like the Demco Recon and a B&W model come in a gooseneck version also.

The gooseneck version of the Andersen base is quite large and takes up more space in the bed than a rail mounted hitch. The Demco gooseneck base is only a bit larger than the rail mounted version. If you have a 6-1/2 foot bed, either a rail mounted hitch or the Demco gooseneck base will leave enough room between the hitch and the cab for a standard size toolbox if you want to have secure storage in the bed. If you have a short bed truck, space in the bed will be more limited but the 5.0TA works fine with short bed trucks as far as having adequate clearance for tight turns. A number of 5.0TA owners also use a retractable tonneau cover in the bed to have covered, secure storage when they are unhitched.

Given where you live, it wouldn't be hard for you to have your hitch installed by Trademasters in Chilliwack if you don't already know a good local shop - they have an excellent reputation and are very knowledgeable about the 5.0TA and have probably installed hitches for them in just about every model and brand of truck. You might call them and let them know the details of your truck and see what they recommend.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I could probably gain 2 MPG if I got rid of the B&W and got an Andersen... But, I'm too cheap and the Patriot does the job.

Weight is the enemy... Keep it simple and keep it light !
chowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The patriot is 2 pieces, the head weighs 50 lbs, and the base is 90 lbs. It's not too bad when you pull the head, but I'm getting older and it's getting heavier.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
My old truck was a 2000 Tundra and had the old school rails and a Reese two piece hitch. I used that combo for many years. I hated dealing with the rails (especially if I was hauling gravel) and I wanted a smoother feeling tow. The hitch was heavy but manageable as long as my back cooperated. If my back was not happy I would impose on someone to help. PITA

When I upgraded my 5th wheel to the 5.0ta and my truck to an F150 I went with the B&W turnover ball and the Anderson Ultimate. Easy install if you are so inclined. Only 35lbs and with the turnover ball I get a flat truck bed when not towing. I would never go back to my old hitch. Sold it on craigslist cheap with rails.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
We pick up our 5.0TA in August and will be getting rails installed for the Anderson hitch. Since most people are using 1/2 ton pickups and max payload is in the 1500 to 2000 lb range weight can be a concern when you put 700 lbs in the back as soon as you connect. Add 2 people at say 150 each average. At some point you need to look at whether you want a 200 lb hitch or a 45 lb hitch. I have heard that the Anderson ball is quieter and easier to connect so that was my reasons for selecting Anderson. These hitches are all designed for 12,000 and up weights so the 5500 lbs of the escape loaded will not even task the hitch. We will be going to Trademasters the day before pickup to have the rails installed.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #15

Thank you, David. Lots of good information and lots to think about. I’m sharing with DH (who is making the final decision)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Anderson ultimate with B&W turnover ball here. Couldn't be happier with how the two systems have performed. I do use safety chains with mine and would not want to tow without them personally with this setup.

I have never used a conventional 5th wheel hitch and have wondered how they handle the truck and trailer being on significantly different angles/planes. I honestly don't know, but if you plan on traveling on some backwoods roads it could be something to look into and consider. I have traveled over fairly uneven terrain and thought the ball style mount worked well in those situations.

It is awkward to climb into the truck bed to hook the safety chains without a short ladder (I keep my tailgate on the truck while towing).
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Having had a 5th wheel in the past, one of the reasons we went back to pull types was the weight of the hitch. I have a bad back and just can't wrangle any conventional 5th wheel hitch in and out of the truck.

Then found out about the Andersen hitch! It only weighs about 35 pounds and is easily installed/removed. Heaven! It's one reason we switched our build from a 21' to the 5.0 TA.

We chose the rail mount since it takes up less space in the truck bed allowing us to carry one (or both) of our trikes. Plus, the space underneath the hitch is usable and holds misc. kit. We lose perhaps one cubic foot or less of space in the truck bed with the rail mounted Andersen and can easily live with that.

Carrying a trike was mandatory if going to the 5th wheel. We also had to have the lift kit for the hitch to clear a 20" (406) wheel on one trike.

So for us to successfully own a 5th wheel our only choice was the Andersen Hitch, and after nearly 150 nights on the road are very happy.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
😎Love the Andersen! Not only light weight, my rail mount version is like 38 lbs, but it takes up a lot less space. It’s 1 of your more economical options too.
Attached Thumbnails
5FE9D0C8-2F8C-4AD6-B2D8-E6497109858C.jpg   E9204879-54F4-423B-9A72-F8246AFBE632.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #19

Thank you, David.
Very helpful. Our truck bed is 6’ (I have no idea whether that is considered a “short bed”)

We are thinking of going to Trademasters when we drive up to deliver the custom fabric (it’s only about a half day trip) and having them do the install.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
Thank you, David.
Very helpful. Our truck bed is 6’ (I have no idea whether that is considered a “short bed”)

We are thinking of going to Trademasters when we drive up to deliver the custom fabric (it’s only about a half day trip) and having them do the install.
That would be a “short” bed. There are people using trucks with 5 1/2 foot beds that work fine. Mine is 6.5 ‘ which I think is perfect😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote