What tow vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 wildcat 29bhbp
What tow vehicle

What tow vehicles could manage a 17 footer? I would not go any where without my electric bike, canoe and paddleboard. Also my crazy Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog. So any sugestions if I go with a 17 footer instead of a big one?
Kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 17B
if your current trailer is indeed a 2007 wildcat 29bhp you most certainly already have a tow vehicle that could tow any Escape

I'm guessing there's not enough roof rack area on any SUV for a paddle board and a canoe (not to mention the electric bike), so you're probably going to end up with a pickup with a ladder rack.

I've seen pictures of other fiberglass trailers with custom-built boat racks that allowed the boat to be easily carried on top of the trailer.

If it's just you and the dog, then a 17' will be plenty of room.
Jim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you carry a boat on top of a trailer, you then have to have some way to get it from the campsite to the put-in. Either that or drag the trailer to the launch.
Didn't work for me.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Might consider a 12' kayak for your next phase.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Are you the one that is 6'4" tall? If so you won't be able to stand up straight in a 17'. The 19' or 21' you could JUST, but will have to watch out for the A/C if you get it. One of the things I like about Escape trailers is that they don't have a lot of wasted headroom (for us, being 5'3" and 5'10"), but even so the ceiling of the 17' is really close to the top of my head!

We figure that the average travelling weight of our 2017 17B will be 3,400 lbs. So for comfortable towing anything with a 5,000 lb tow rating should do. Your current vehicle may work. Specific recommendations are difficult without knowing more. It usually has more to do with how you plan to use it when you aren't towing. For example, our Touareg is super versatile for using in snow, off-road, and carrying 5 people and luggage. It also gets spectacular fuel mileage with a turbodiesel and will be at only 44% of its towing capacity. Turbodiesels aren't for everyone though -- they are expensive to buy and cost more to maintain as well.

Not sure about roof or truck bed space for a canoe, paddleboard, and bike, but I'm sure you have that figured out if you won't go anywhere without them! We plan to carry a folding Kayak which is much more portable and light. I don't like lifting heavy boats up on the roof rack.

We also have a stumpy-tailed cattle dog. She's 13-years old and still bosses us around and terrorizes our big Husky.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
if your current trailer is indeed a 2007 wildcat 29bhp you most certainly already have a tow vehicle that could tow any Escape
Sure, but I believe the idea is to downsize the tug.

Quote:
I'm guessing there's not enough roof rack area on any SUV for a paddle board and a canoe (not to mention the electric bike), so you're probably going to end up with a pickup with a ladder rack.
Certainly two of the three can go on the tug's roof; all three is tough, even on a truck's rack. A bike can go in the box of the truck, but (depending on the bike) might go in an SUV, too.

Quote:
I've seen pictures of other fiberglass trailers with custom-built boat racks that allowed the boat to be easily carried on top of the trailer.
It can be done, but has all sorts of problems.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can always leave the paddle board at home and paddle standing in the canoe.