What type of hitch do I choose? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If you go with the Andersen, be aware that they make their stingers in different lengths vs. a stock one 5 or so years ago. This can be the difference in allowing a truck tailgate or SUV hatch being able to open or not. I would call Andersen in Idaho Falls to be sure what would work best for your vehicle.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Recently there was a post of an E21 owner with a Andersen Model 3380 for sale. It is listed as an 8"drop/rise but has a 2 5/16" ball. I thought the E21 coupler accepts a 2" ball. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, all conventional Escape trailers have couplers for 2" diameter balls.

If you mean this listing:
Andersen 3380 Anti Sway Hitch - As New
... then either the part number is incorrect or the Escape it was used with had the coupler replaced, because the 3380 does have the 2-5/16" ball which won't work with the stock Escape coupler.

Quote:
What model Andersen Hitch are current E21 owners using? I have no Idea as to what size Brackets to use.
All current conventional Escape trailers have 4 inch tall frame rails in the tongue, and that determines which brackets will fit. They have three sets of brackets which fit 4" frames (as well as 3", 5", and 6" frames) and a set that fits 4-3/8" frames that I think at least one Escape owner has used as well. The difference between the various "3/4/5/6" brackets is how much extra bracket will stick out where past the frame.

The brackets for most frame heights:
3359 - WD Brackets, 3/4/5/6 (2 inside & 2 outside w/hardware) - the normal set for typical trailers
3359-XTD - EXTENDED WD Brackets, 3/4/5/6 (2 inside & 2 outside w/hardware) - extend extra low below frame (I don't see a reason for that with an Escape)
3369 - WD Brackets, 'Raised' 3/4/5/6 (2 inside & 2 outside w/hardware) - extra length of brackets will stick up above trailer frame

The oddball one for 4-3/8" frames:
3361 - WD Bracket set 4-3/8" (2 inside & 2 outside w/hardware)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #63

Quote:
Finally Escape offers (2) sway control hitches, The Equalizer pro series 600lb Trunnion, and the E2by Fastway WDH. I could find little information about either online.
While they may have some sway control effects, these are weight-distributing hitches.

It's hard to find information online about the "Equalizer pro series 600lb Trunnion", for two reasons:
  • it is not an Equal-i-zer® brand product, despite Escape's long-term and very confusing use of this name for hitches from entirely different manufacturers and of a different design; and,
  • "Pro Series" is one of several brand names from the same manufacturer, and the Pro Series website no longer shows any WD hitch products.
The most likely current match to the trunnion-style WD hitch system sold by Escape is the Reese #66540.

The E2 by Fastway is easier to find.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Never understood why, despite having the misnomer pointed out to them repeatedly, ETI continues to call a WDH an Equalizer.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You mean Eqaul-izer? Is the hyphen the way they get away with it? Pretty dumb in any event. ETI should call it what it is like etrailer does: Pro Series 600 lb. bars; either round or trunnion.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You mean Eqaul-izer? Is the hyphen the way they get away with it?
I'm sure it was never a deliberate misuse of a trademark; it is just a sloppy and inappropriate use of a brand name. It is confusing, and of course they should just use the name on the product's label.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Wait, didn't the poster asking this question say he's got a late model Chevy 1500 pickup? He does NOT need any sort of WDH with that truck to pull any Escape. I suggest getting a simple hitch bar, the right drop for the bumper height of said truck, and long enugh that the tailgate of the truck clears the jack on the trailer. With my F250 4x4, I'm using this one...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M308U
... which is a little longer than normal, and has the right drop so my E21 rides level.

now, after a few dozen road trips, if you feel the ride in the cab is a bit 'pitchy', that the truck is 'porpoising ' after going over a dip or bump with the trailer, you MIGHT consider a WDH... but you also might consider just adding some airbags to the rear axle of the truck so you can level the truck when heavily loaded, that totally solved the porpoising problem with my Casita and Tacoma and was far less hassle than a WDH. also getting better truck shocks can help a LOT, I recommend Rancho 7000XL for any big pickup truck, 2x4 or 4x4, as they can be tuned and run anywhere from soft to hard.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yeppers,
Some air bags on my Ram and around 15 psi and I'm a happy tow person.....
Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Hello All,
I have an E21 on order. I believe the dimension from the ground to the bottom of the coupler on an E21 is over 20" and even greater with a High Lift Axle. Would any E21 owners be so kind as to provide that measurement for both the Standard axle and the High high Axel. I am considering the High Lift Axle as I live near salt water and would want to remove and touch up any rust that may form on the frame. It would also make it easier, I believe, to adjust the Electronic Brakes.
Greatboatz,

ETI recently changed the High Lift Axle term to something describing a body lift kit, since that is what it is. The axle, frame, wheels, brakes, basically the metal parts remain the same, but the house is raised higher at its connection to the frame, along with piping and notably the steps. This helps for difficult driveway connections and off road applications, but probably doesn't change the receiver/coupler height. Email ETI, to be sure.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Boohoo's wright

Hi: All... I use a "Kleenex" whether it's a generic "Facial tissue" or not. I'd get a hitch that connects the trailer to the tug!!! Your first tow will tell you if it's correct or not!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I agree that the range in which power is available is important, but whether that range is 1500 to 2000 RM (like a big truck diesel) or 4500 to 6000 RPM makes no difference to performance... as long as you don't mind hearing an engine running at that speed.

If the new Frontier engine puts out the same peak torque as the old one, but can put it out to a higher speed, than you can use a lower gear ratio (of which there are now nine) and get more torque to wheels... which is all you need.
While this true, in the real world towing at 2k is much more relaxed than at 6k. I would think that an engine spinning near max rpms all the time would not only use more fuel, it would probably not last as long all the while raising the decibel level in your cab. Also you don’t need a diesel to get good low end torque. My 2.7 Ecoboost puts out 375 lbs’ of torque at 3k. When towing it rarely hits that unless passing.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
While this true, in the real world towing at 2k is much more relaxed than at 6k.
Yes, but in a realistic comparison it's not so extreme, and the newer and/or smaller engine at a moderately higher speed might be smoother and quieter than the older and/or larger one at the lower speed.

Quote:
I would think that an engine spinning near max rpms all the time would not only use more fuel, it would probably not last as long all the while raising the decibel level in your cab.
It's tempting to assume this, and the efficiency part might be true, but again it depends on the specific engine. A smaller engine can spin faster with no wear or reliability problems than a larger engine of the same design. If you tried to spin a heavy truck diesel at 3,000 RPM it would be destroyed, but the same speed is fine all day for a typical automotive engine. High boost pressure - the way that turbocharged engines get high torque at low speed - is also a reliability concern.

Quote:
Also you don’t need a diesel to get good low end torque. My 2.7 Ecoboost puts out 375 lbs’ of torque at 3k. When towing it rarely hits that unless passing.
I agree: lots of low-speed torque in a diesel is not the result of being a diesel - it's the result of the turbocharger, and all modern diesels are turbocharged. Traditionally only diesels could use turbocharging without compromising compression ratio and efficiency, but now direct fuel injection fixes that, so turbochargers work well with gasoline engines as well.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape 2015 21'
Anderson hitch. I have been using for a number of years on my 21’ Escape to the trustworthy Tacoma. The Anderson hitch is easy to hook up and lightweight compared to other WDH.
Paceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021
All the talk about hitches, does Escape provide a hitch with trailer ?
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote