Wheel bearing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
Wheel bearing

Almost home after picking up our 21 NE Monday in Chilliwack

The wheel hub on the port side front axle is very hot. Anyone know if this is a wheel bearing issue and if so what size wheel bearing would we need?

We’re on the Alaska highway 1.5 hours from home so we can unhitch tomorrow and get what we need and come back to fix

Thanks so much

Cara and Fraser.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When you say it's very hot, do you have a temperature gauge? Did you use your hand to feel it? Is it on the sun side of the trailer or the shade side?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Almost home after picking up our 21 NE Monday in Chilliwack

The wheel hub on the port side front axle is very hot. Anyone know if this is a wheel bearing issue and if so what size wheel bearing would we need?

We’re on the Alaska highway 1.5 hours from home so we can unhitch tomorrow and get what we need and come back to fix

Thanks so much

Cara and Fraser.
If it is new it could also be a brake issue. I suggest you might jack up that side and spin the wheel to see if there is resistance from the brakes. Compare it to port side rear.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #4

The drum is too hot to remain touching. Remaining three are cool. When up on jack, front spins but comes to a halt far a quicker than rear. Some grinding noise and some top to bottom play in both wheels.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
I’m still kind of voting for a brake problem. Check out YouTube on manually adjusting the brakes. It involves using a long screwdriver through a hole on the backside of the brake backing plate to turn an adjustment wheel to loosen the brake pressure on the drum. Try to loosen the brake so that the wheel spins as freely as the other one. Self adjusting brakes have a one way ratcheting action that only tightens the brakes. To loosen it you need to do it manually on the brakes I am familiar with.

The level of heat you describe does not sound like a fatal bearing meltdown. If the drum cools down within an hour I think you can drive on, stopping occasionally to check the temp since you are close to home. If it rapidly heats up again then stop.

In any case I suggest taking the trailer to a tire/brake shop to check the play in the wheels and torque the lug nuts.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #6

Both bearings looked ok, however a definite lack of grease. Once repacked and with the nut tightened and backed off accordingly, I believe we can head home tomorrow. I’ll review the brakes and other wheels when I get home.
A fellow traveller from Saanich, Tim Or with a 21C pulled in right next to us and was very helpful and had a grease gun!
Many thanks for all your help!