Where do you Canadians repair new vehicles in US? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Where do you Canadians repair new vehicles in US?

I'm curious where Canadians do the warranty repair work if the vehicle breaks down during USA travel?

Do USA dealers perform warranty repairs for Canadian vehicles? Or am I expected to bring the vehicle back to the Canadian side of the border?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had my Canadian made Escape worked on in USA without any issues. where it is made is not relevant, where you get it fixed is....BTW there are no dealers for Escapes, in US nor Canada, just the manufacturer. They can advise you of repair facilities if needed.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have had my Canadian made Escape worked on in USA without any issues. where it is made is not relevant, where you get it fixed is....
When you say "Escape" you meant "Ford Escape" and not the trailer? Just making sure...

Also, I was concerned about no-cost warranty repair. Obviously once the warranty expires, I don't really care about this.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not own a Ford Escape, just a trailer made by Escape Trailer Ind, aka ETI. If my memory serves me, I paid for the repair and was reimbursed by ETI.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not own a Ford Escape, just a trailer made by Escape Trailer Ind, aka ETI. If my memory serves me, I paid for the repair and was reimbursed by ETI.
Sorry, I think the original question was confusing. I was referring to the tow vehicle under warranty, not the trailer.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would try a dealer for the vehicle, but I would expect issues with any warranty claim... because the warranty is provided by the company which distributed the vehicle, not the one which manufactured it. Most, perhaps all, automotive brands are distributed by a separate corporation in each country.

For instance, my Toyota Sienna was built in the United States, by Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana, Inc. (TMMI), but the warranty is provided by Toyota Canada, Inc. A dealer in the U.S. would handle warranty claims through Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. (TMS USA), not Toyota Canada Inc. Even though all of these companies are part of Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMNA), "that's not ours" seems like a likely response. Of course, it wouldn't break down due to manufacturing defect so this is only a hypothetical issue for me. I had a Ford - on a long trip with an in-warranty car, I would be prepared to pay for any repair and hope for reimbursement.

Paying for a fix under warranty and getting work physically done are two different things. Any vehicle sold in Canada is so nearly identical to the corresponding model sold in the U.S. that ability to repair (parts and documentation) shouldn't be an issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
If you own a Ford vehicle originally sold in the Canadian market (by a Ford of Canada dealer) your original Ford.CA warranty and roadside assistance are both honored just as they are in Canada while traveling in the Continental U.S.

The US Ford dealer performing work covered by your Ford.CA warranty will be authorized and reimbursed directly by Ford, just as if you were at a Canadian dealer. Note this is not the case in any other country including Mexico, even at a Ford dealer in those countries.

You can download your warranty and roadside assistance book from the Ford.CA owner's website if you've lost that, it discusses these provisions explicitly.

Yes, if the work requires parts specific to the Canadian market version of a vehicle, there may be delays in the US Ford dealer getting the parts (that's rarely the case for most major mechanical systems).

BTW for USA Ford owners, the same applies when traveling in Canada.

Can't speak to other marques ....
Old 12-08-2021, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Yes, if the work requires parts specific to the Canadian market version of a vehicle, there may be delays in the US Ford dealer getting the parts (that's rarely the case for most major mechanical systems).
It's not likely to be a problem even for minor components. The only common example that I can think of offhand would be a headlight switch, since daytime running lights are required here (so there is no real "off" position on the switch) but not in the U.S. (so the switch is different)... this is the one thing that commonly needs to be changed to import a U.S.-spec vehicle into Canada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote