Which truck/options to tow a 5.0? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Which truck/options to tow a 5.0?

I so appreciate all of the wisdom & experience you all have shared on this forum.

My 5.0 is scheduled for completion in Feb of 2023, but I need to order the truck soon.

I plan to travel full time for at least 2 years after the trailer is completed, and the second season will hopefully include a trip to Yukon & Alaska.

Based on info found here on the forum, it’s clear to me that the limiting factor will be the payload of the truck. With this in mind, I want the options that will be useful and add significant comfort, but not any just for show.

After many hours on this forum and thinking about my usage, I’ve pretty well decided on the following:
- a 150/1500 class truck
- double cab
- standard bed
(Andersen Ultimate hitch, rail version)

Which truck & which options do you recommend?

Thanks so much for any thoughts you may have.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
For me it was the truck that supported my back the best. Is the lumbar support in the right place, does the seat portion support my legs all the way. Ford, Ram , and Chevy were the best and the Chevy had the best lumbar support for me so I went with the Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3. Max towing option. Love the way it handles and rides. I can tow for 10 hrs before back says stop. Lol. I get 18/19 mpg when not towing and 13/14 when towing. It depends on which make fits you the best. Good luck on your search and choice.

One note the tundra is a good vehicle but was not comfortable to sit in for me so don’t cont them out in your search .

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lorraine, avoiding any specific vehicle / option recommendations I will suggest a tool to aid in your consideration of Ford 150 trucks:
  • Join the Blue Oval Forums (anyone can join, it's free, you just won't have access to certain areas limited to Ford Employees; BTW I am not a Ford Employee and never have been)
  • When logged-in as a member, navigate to the "F150 & Raptor Forum"
  • Look for a post titled "[year] F150 Order Guide ..."
  • From within that post you'll be able to download the Ford Order Guide as a pdf (you can't download the file unless logged-in as a member)
  • Check-back frequently for updates, they can/do change during a given production year.
As you likely already know, the combinations of trims and option-bundling requirements for F150's can be mind-boggling. IME the Ford Order Guides are the most complete and authoritative resource for study and understanding of the options that are available / possible with any given trim level, much more detailed and complete than the Ford retail website online tools. Careful study of the Order Guide may prove helpful in your evaluation of F150s.

Separate from the "Order Guide" posts there are also frequent posts in that F150 Forum relating to production and ordering dates which may be of interest.

Hope that helps, Happy Shopping, and Have Fun!

PS - IMO David brings to mind a good point .... the 'characteristic look and feel' of different brands can vary significantly even among vehicles that 'look the same' on spec pages, I'm talking about the sort of things that are highly personal preferences, not necessarily functionally different. Dealer visits and test drives, even of trucks not exactly meeting your needs, can often serve to 'winnow the field' and may be a useful early exercise to reduce your research burden (you may find you just don't like the 'characteristic look or feel' of brand X, therefore can eliminate that one from consideration, or conversely find something you particularly like and want to focus on). There's a reason some folks gravitate to certain brands even though others may offer functional equivalency, and IMO there's nothing wrong with that!
Old 10-03-2021, 11:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Tundra. Lol
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
I so appreciate all of the wisdom & experience you all have shared on this forum.

My 5.0 is scheduled for completion in Feb of 2023, but I need to order the truck soon.

I plan to travel full time for at least 2 years after the trailer is completed, and the second season will hopefully include a trip to Yukon & Alaska.

Based on info found here on the forum, it’s clear to me that the limiting factor will be the payload of the truck. With this in mind, I want the options that will be useful and add significant comfort, but not any just for show.

After many hours on this forum and thinking about my usage, I’ve pretty well decided on the following:
- a 150/1500 class truck
- double cab
- standard bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
For me it was the truck that supported my back the best. Is the lumbar support in the right place, does the seat portion support my legs all the way. Ford, Ram , and Chevy were the best and the Chevy had the best lumbar support for me so I went with the Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3. Max towing option. Love the way it handles and rides. I can tow for 10 hrs before back says stop. Lol. I get 18/19 mpg when not towing and 13/14 when towing. It depends on which make fits you the best. Good luck on your search and choice.

One note the tundra is a good vehicle but was not comfortable to sit in for me so don’t cont them out in your search .

David

Thanks so much for these thoughts, David. Paying special attention to lumbar support makes sense given my advanced age & planned longer trips - I'll be sure to notice that specifically. My mechanic of many years likes the Silverado, so it is one I'll focused on. And thanks for starting me on a list of options. Be well.

- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Lorraine, avoiding any specific vehicle / option recommendations I will suggest a tool to aid in your consideration of Ford 150 trucks:
  • Join the Blue Oval Forums (anyone can join, it's free, you just won't have access to certain areas limited to Ford Employees; BTW I am not a Ford Employee and never have been)
  • When logged-in as a member, navigate to the "F150 & Raptor Forum"
  • Look for a post titled "[year] F150 Order Guide ..."
  • From within that post you'll be able to download the Ford Order Guide as a pdf (you can't download the file unless logged-in as a member)
  • Check-back frequently for updates, they can/do change during a given production year.
As you likely already know, the combinations of trims and option-bundling requirements for F150's can be mind-boggling. IME the Ford Order Guides are the most complete and authoritative resource for study and understanding of the options that are available / possible with any given trim level, much more detailed and complete than the Ford retail website online tools. Careful study of the Order Guide may prove helpful in your evaluation of F150s.

Separate from the "Order Guide" posts there are also frequent posts in that F150 Forum relating to production and ordering dates which may be of interest.

Hope that helps, Happy Shopping, and Have Fun!

PS - IMO David brings to mind a good point .... the 'characteristic look and feel' of different brands can vary significantly even among vehicles that 'look the same' on spec pages, I'm talking about the sort of things that are highly personal preferences, not necessarily functionally different. Dealer visits and test drives, even of trucks not exactly meeting your needs, can often serve to 'winnow the field' and may be a useful early exercise to reduce your research burden (you may find you just don't like the 'characteristic look or feel' of brand X, therefore can eliminate that one from consideration, or conversely find something you particularly like and want to focus on). There's a reason some folks gravitate to certain brands even though others may offer functional equivalency, and IMO there's nothing wrong with that!

Hi Alan,

Thanks much for your thoughtful & detailed reply. The options/bundling list on these trucks IS overwhelming, but having the REAL list for the 150 will be helpful. And your thought about 'characteristic look or feel' makes a lot of sense as it seems that the major brands all make good reliable trucks - may as well have one that I intuitively like. :-)

Stay well, & hope that the mods are going well.

- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
When looking at the Fords, a good option package is the 302 A package it had everything I wanted if I had gone with the Ford. I checked and they still offer that package deal.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While shopping, be sure and inquire about the spare tire, my Ram 1500 came with a temporary spare which is/was unsuitable to use while towing. Thus I had to purchase a full sized wheel and tire and carry it around in the truck bed.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Tundra. Lol
I too am shopping for a new truck.
Please tell us why the Tundra is lol ?

Thanks
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
- a 150/1500 class truck
- double cab
- standard bed
"Standard bed" doesn't mean anything anymore. Many years ago it meant eight feet long, with the common six or so foot bed being called a "short bed". Now 8' boxes are rare (and not even available with a double cab in some models), and "standard" might mean 6.5'... but the most common choice for this class of truck (especially with a double cab) is 5.5', so maybe that's "standard". So... what bed length do you want?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
When looking at the Fords, a good option package is the 302 A package it had everything I wanted if I had gone with the Ford. I checked and they still offer that package deal.

David
Thanks for this recommendation. Am closely studying the F-150 as one of my 3 current possibility, so this is most helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
While shopping, be sure and inquire about the spare tire, my Ram 1500 came with a temporary spare which is/was unsuitable to use while towing. Thus I had to purchase a full sized wheel and tire and carry it around in the truck bed.
Yikes! I'd have assumed that any truck came with a full-size spare, so thanks for alerting me to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Standard bed" doesn't mean anything anymore. Many years ago it meant eight feet long, with the common six or so foot bed being called a "short bed". Now 8' boxes are rare (and not even available with a double cab in some models), and "standard" might mean 6.5'... but the most common choice for this class of truck (especially with a double cab) is 5.5', so maybe that's "standard". So... what bed length do you want?
Oh, sorry for the confusion. I'm thinking of something around 5.5' as a short bed, something around 6.5' as a standard bed, and 8' as a long bed. Since this truck will be used primarily to tow an Escape 5.0, a 6.5' bed seems to be the most practical. And, as long as I'm clarifying my terms, I'm using "double cab" to mean one with a small back seat area. It seems that different makers use different terms for similar cab configurations as well. :-)

- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Thanks for this recommendation. Am closely studying the F-150 as one of my 3 current possibility, so this is most helpful.

Yikes! I'd have assumed that any truck came with a full-size spare, so thanks for alerting me to this.

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I'm thinking of something around 5.5' as a short bed, something around 6.5' as a standard bed, and 8' as a long bed. Since this truck will be used primarily to tow an Escape 5.0, a 6.5' bed seems to be the most practical. And, as long as I'm clarifying my terms, I'm using "double cab" to mean one with a small back seat area. It seems that different makers use different terms for similar cab configurations as well. :-)
The cab with the smaller backseat is the "Supercab", you will see it abberviated as scab. The larger of the cabs is "supercrew", or screw. The screw is much more common and popular than the scab. I have the screw with 6 1/2" bed but wish I had the scab , lol. My last F-150 was the scab..I had it for 16 years. I think people refer to the 6 1/2 bed as the long bed these days and the 5 1/2' as the standard. The 8' bed is usually only seen on Fleet trucks ( commercial) or single cab (not scab or screw). They maybe available on others but not common. I'm not sure if you can order an 8' bed on a scab or screw
Old 10-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I'm thinking of something around 5.5' as a short bed, something around 6.5' as a standard bed, and 8' as a long bed. Since this truck will be used primarily to tow an Escape 5.0, a 6.5' bed seems to be the most practical. And, as long as I'm clarifying my terms, I'm using "double cab" to mean one with a small back seat area. It seems that different makers use different terms for similar cab configurations as well. :-)

Here it is in the 2005 F150 version (2WD XLT SuperCab, 6.5' box, extendable towing mirrors, Andersen hitch on Turnoverball, 5.0 with lift kit). That's a 145" wheelbase truck even through current models, the rig will jack knife to 90 degrees without cab contact, fits in the length of 2 standard parking spaces at the grocery store, and tows like a dream. I've had the truck since new and absolutely love it.

Though not 'required', I do very much like the great view provided by those Ford extendable towing mirrors (they can be set non-extended when not towing and fold against the side of cab in tight spaces).

FWIW I'm partial to the smallest wheel diameter / tallest tire sidewall available; on mine that's 17", and yes Ford still provides a full-size spare tire mounted under the bed (at least on non-hybrid models, not sure about hybrids). That high-profile tire preference based on:
  • I live on an unpaved road; comparison with neighbors' comparable trucks with lower-profile tires demonstrates the higher-profile rides a bit smoother in that situation
  • Perhaps a bit more robust if one can't avoid a deep/sharp cornered pothole
  • Usually lower replacement cost for a given brand / model of tire
Note that on Fords at least, larger wheels means less sidewall (a lower-profile tire), the total outside diameter remains the same (within fractions of an inch).

Happy Shopping!
Attached Thumbnails
ALAN E  5_0 RIG.jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:

Here it is in the 2005 F150 version (2WD XLT SuperCab, 6.5' box, extendable towing mirrors, Andersen hitch on Turnoverball, 5.0 with lift kit). That's a 145" wheelbase truck even through current models, the rig will jack knife to 90 degrees without cab contact, fits in the length of 2 standard parking spaces at the grocery store, and tows like a dream. I've had the truck since new and absolutely love it.

Though not 'required', I do very much like the great view provided by those Ford extendable towing mirrors (they can be set non-extended when not towing and fold against the side of cab in tight spaces). I'm partial to the smallest wheel diameter / tallest tire sidewall available; on mine that's 17", and yes Ford still provides a full-size spare tire mounted under the bed (at least on non-hybrid models, not sure about hybrids).

Note that on Fords at least, larger wheels means less sidewall (a lower-profile tire), the total outside diameter remains the same (within fractions of an inch).

Happy Shopping!
I agree about the Ford Towing mirrors..Only used mine so far for utility trailers...5.0 still a few months away.
My F-150 has the 157" wheelbase...The only downside in my truck is how long it is..wish I had the Supercrew like you
Old 10-04-2021, 07:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

- a 150/1500 class truck
- double cab
- standard bed

I just bought a 2021 Tundra, one of the last of this model, 6.5 double cab 36 gallon tank.

The next generation with a twin v6 turbo are really going to be a nice truck.
The gas mileage is going to be way improved and I’m sure many other upgrades.

I’d wait until the 2023 comes out if you can, I try to not buy the first year of a model change…

Toyotas have always been a bit stiffer than most others, I think that may have something to do with their longevity and reliability.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
And, as long as I'm clarifying my terms, I'm using "double cab" to mean one with a small back seat area. It seems that different makers use different terms for similar cab configurations as well. :-)
Yes, they do.

In general, with examples:
  • "regular" or "single" cab has two doors and no back seat
    • some pickup models (e.g. Toyota Tundra and midsize pickups) are not available this way
  • "extended" cab has space behind the front seats, often with a back seat and now usually with rear-hinged doors on one or both sides (so there is no pillar between the front and rear doors)
    • Ford calls this SuperCab
    • Nissan calls this King Cab
    • not available in some full-size trucks, such as GM, Ram, or Toyota Tundra
  • "double" cab has a rear seat and front-hinged rear doors (so there is a pillar between the front and rear doors)
    • traditionally called a "crew cab" in North America ("double cab" is an international term)
    • Ford calls this SuperCab
    • some brands have two lengths of double cab:
      the longer Ram is the "Crew Cab" (the shorter 4-door is the "Quad Cab"),
      the longer Toyota Tundra is the "Crewmax" (the shorter 4-door is the "Double Cab"), and
      the longer GM is the "Crew Cab" (the shorter GM 4-door cab is called "Double Cab")
At Ram, GM, and Toyota the shorter double cabs have essentially replaced the old extended cabs.

It sounds like you might be looking for a extended cab (F-150) or the shorter of the two double cab choices in other brands (GM Silverado/Sierra 1500, Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra). If so, that's the most common cab found combined with a 6.5' box in full-sized pickups.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:

Among factory-available wheel and tire choices, that is approximately true in all brands - given the same choice of 4X2 or 4X4 - other than specialized packages such as the F-150 Raptor.

4X4 may come with taller tires than 4X2; in an F-150 with 17" wheels, the 4X2 gets 245/70 R17 while the 4X4 gets 265/70 R17 (about an inch taller overall)
The Raptor has LT315/70 R17 or 37x12.5R17 tires, which have much taller sidewalls and thus substantially larger overall diameter than the normal F-150 17" tire (265/70 R17 for 4X4)
  • 265/70 R17: 31.6" overall, so 7.3" sidewalls
  • LT315/70 R17: 34.4" overall, so 8.7 sidewalls
  • 37x12.5R17: 36.5" overall, so 9.75" sidewalls
(tires of the same nominal size vary slightly in actual dimensions by brand; BFG T/A KO2 used for examples)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #18

Hello sofmerc, Centex, Oshkaboo, & Brian B-P,

I've been marinating in truck info much of the day, so getting a bit overloaded. However, your input is very much appreciated, & will be fully processed here tomorrow.

Thank you for your generosity in sharing your experience & expertise. You all make this forum great. Be well.

- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-05-2021, 03:46 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My first choice is the Tundra. They just released details of the next generation due out soon. The hybrid version has 400hp and 583ft lbs of torque. Those are diesel numbers almost. I have had 7 Toyotas and not one problem, just routine maintenance.

My second choice would be the Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi with 10 speed transmission. My friend who is a mechanic says they are the best bang for the buck and fairly reliable.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our 2019 F150 6.5' box, quad cab came with every option we wanted, or so we thought. However, after buying our Subaru Outback with adaptive cruise control we wish it had that option. However, on the Ford F150 Forum it appears a reasonably easy retro install if you have the 302A package.

Enjoy,

Perry