Who is towing with a Toyota Sequoia? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Who is towing with a Toyota Sequoia?

Hi all

Who is towing with a Toyota Sequoia?

Likes and dislikes? (specifically for towing a 21’ Escape)

Did a search and didn’t turn up a dedicated thread.

It looks as if it would be a very capable tug.

We have zero interest in an actual truck, FWIIW. (like a pickup truck)
We want a SUV.

My wife has a strong preference for Honda / Acura / Toyota / Lexus FWIIW.

Thanks to Jsg55337 who posted some great info about the forthcoming 2018 Sequoia….. we are in no rush, at all, and would wait ‘till at least 2018 (likely even longer) to upgrade from our 2011 Acura MDX.

We tow about five-ish times a year at this point.

The 2018 Sequoia will include a ton of nice, new safety features, included on all models, i believe.

The info that Jsg55337 posted on the other thread is:

"I like everything but the gas mileage. Drives great, rides pretty well for a truck based SUV. Max tongue weigh around 900 pounds depending on which model.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...specs.download

Very tight turning radius for its size. Lots of interior space.

Refreshed for 2018:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-t...1420693364653/

The base SR5 model needs rear airbags for towing (Airlift 1000), otherwise it does sit kind of low on back when loaded. The higher models have an air suspension. “

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

I found this video that shows the 2018 model.

One of the main complaints with the current Sequoia (2017 and previous) is the ride quality..... perhaps the (new) TRD edition of the 2018 model would help that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=awmEWHlMSzI

anyone have any experience with any TRD versions of other Toyota vehicles?

thanks.

john
Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
My name is Ross; I'm a Toyotaholic How many? Hmmm, counting the 1976-ish Corona Susan used to drive it's 8. Cressida, Cressida wagon, Camry wagon, Sequoia, and Avalon (still have '01). Traded a 2013 Highlander. They've all been very good autos and no doubt helped drive the competition to make better cars. When deciding what to pull the 21 with post 17B I went to test drive a 2014 Sequoia. Large, very large...huge with true yacht like feel So went next door to look at what the competition had and drove a "short" Yukon. End of story- except 50K miles later (w/35k towing) the only problem was caused by a dirty rat chewing on a wire. We love the ride; don't need a WDH- no sag, but prefer it, especially with wind.

Lots of good domestics out there too. Drive some.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Thanks to Jsg55337 who posted some great info about the forthcoming 2018 Sequoia…
The link URLs were lost in copying. Here's the intact version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsg55337 View Post
I like everything but the gas mileage. Drives great, rides pretty well for a truck based SUV. Max tongue weigh around 900 pounds depending on which model.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...specs.download

Very tight turning radius for its size. Lots of interior space.

Right now I am just towing a pop up, I'm just aspiring to an Escape at this point. It tows the pop up with zero effort of course.

Refreshed for 2018:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-t...1420693364653/

The base SR5 model needs rear airbags for towing (Airlift 1000), otherwise it does sit kind of low on back when loaded. The higher models have an air suspension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
My name is Ross; I'm a Toyotaholic How many? Hmmm, counting the 1976-ish Corona Susan used to drive it's 8. Cressida, Cressida wagon, Camry wagon, Sequoia, and Avalon (still have '01). Traded a 2013 Highlander. They've all been very good autos and no doubt helped drive the competition to make better cars. When deciding what to pull the 21 with post 17B I went to test drive a 2014 Sequoia. Large, very large...huge with true yacht like feel So went next door to look at what the competition had and drove a "short" Yukon. End of story- except 50K miles later (w/35k towing) the only problem was caused by a dirty rat chewing on a wire. We love the ride; don't need a WDH- no sag, but prefer it, especially with wind.

Lots of good domestics out there too. Drive some.
Thanks for the great info Ross. :-)

Unfortunately I am pretty sure I could never convince the wife to go domestic.

Yes I know they have dramatically improved in many ways.

And

What confuses me is that even though the Sequoia is just 1" wider than our 2011 MDX (but much longer of course) is it because it sits higher, and is maybe more boxy ... that it would feel so much bigger?

Thanks to anyone for any thoughts.

I don't know much about biggger SUVs.

John.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW,my brother tows his 7000 lb Jayco around with a Sequoia. Great tow vehicle, no complaints except the mpg from that big motor. Done some back seat riding around in it, sure was comfortable back there to me.

If the ride comfort is a high priority, I'd 2nd trying to get the wife to test ride in the GMC. When shopping trucks, I found the GMC's the most comfortable.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
FWIW,my brother tows his 7000 lb Jayco around with a Sequoia. Great tow vehicle, no complaints except the mpg from that big motor. Done some back seat riding around in it, sure was comfortable back there to me.

If the ride comfort is a high priority, I'd 2nd trying to get the wife to test ride in the GMC. When shopping trucks, I found the GMC's the most comfortable.
Thanks Bob - all great info.

The one thing I realize about the Sequoia is that the 3rd row seating can comfortably seat 3 adults (!) and with people visiting our family in Los Angeles, and for multiple people social outings, having that much comfortable space is appealing, as a second vehicle that would be driven much less around town than our sedan.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For those considering a very large SUV, there is also the Ford Expedition. It is sized and styled roughly like the GMs (Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade), but it has an independent rear suspension like the Sequoia (and Nissan Armada / Infinity QX80). The Expedition is mechanically based on the F-150 pickup, just as the Tahoe/Yukon is based on the Silverado/Sierra pickup and the Sequoia is based on the Tundra; however, in each case the rear suspension of the SUV is different from the pickup.

The Expedition has stagnated for a few years, but has been redesigned for 2018, getting an aluminum body (as all of the F-Series trucks have) and updated mechanicals (2015+ F-150 platform). To spot one, look for a Tahoe/Yukon body with an Explorer nose.
2018 Expedition at Ford Canada
2018 Expedition at Ford.com
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Jayco 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For those considering a very large SUV, there is also the Ford Expedition. It is sized and styled roughly like the GMs (Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade), but it has an independent rear suspension like the Sequoia (and Nissan Armada / Infinity QX80). The Expedition is mechanically based on the F-150 pickup, just as the Tahoe/Yukon is based on the Silverado/Sierra pickup and the Sequoia is based on the Tundra; however, in each case the rear suspension of the SUV is different from the pickup.

The Expedition has stagnated for a few years, but has been redesigned for 2018, getting an aluminum body (as all of the F-Series trucks have) and updated mechanicals (2015+ F-150 platform). To spot one, look for a Tahoe/Yukon body with an Explorer nose.

2018 Expedition at Ford Canada

2018 Expedition at Ford.com

Wow it does look like a Tahoe on the rear quarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jsg55337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Hi John,
We have a 2015 Sequoia and it has worked very well for us and our lifestyle.

A bit about us:
family of 5 ... the extra space for the kids in the 2nd/3rd row keeps them for getting into eachothers business and causing problems

We make many long trips( California to Idaho) several times a year ... See above

We often Corss the Sierria and other Snow Prone areas ... unlike most people who live in California we have a REAL reason to have a 4x4

Towing performance is great, with the V8 and tow capasity you will forget the '21 is even there ... untill you need to stop for gas ... If i were to do this again I might need to think more about a diesel

One other to be changed item is that I will replace our stock mirrors for a Tow Mirror like
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...id=20144032860
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I am on my second Sequoia, both purchased used. The 2012 is dramatically different than the 2007 in size. Both were and are excellent towing machines. I have dropped an Andersen WDH from the combination. Rear view mirrors are adequate and I kept them stock.

I like the high ride, great visibility while driving. The step up is easier than the crouch I need for my wife's Acura. I opted for the Limited model simply because of the rear lift door. It is a difficult door to close and the automatic close feature was very important.

Passenger capacity is very good as is the transition from storage to seating. One arrangement I use is three passengers and three bikes inside. Better yet, one of the bikes is a tandem.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
For what it's worth, we know a couple who tow an Oliver Legacy Elite II (2016?; 23.5' long, 4600 lb dry weight, 420 tongue weight) with a Sequoia, and they love everything but the fuel mileage, but even that is not a real concern for them. They just include fuel in their travel budget, fill it up and go have fun....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I use a 2005 to tow a 17B, no problems and lots of extra power.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
I have a 2008 Sequoia with the 5.7 engine and tow package. I constantly get 13 miles to a gallon towing a 19' Escape. I usually have two or often three kayaks on top, and carry at least two bikes behind the trailer. Towing a fully-loaded trailer is effortless. Living in Central Oregon, I often travel mountain passes of 5000 feet or more encountering no issues. Probably the best experience is going downhill. The 6-speed transmission allows for a safe descent with minimum braking. The storage space in the Sequoia is so large that we often carry little if anything under the trailer's bed. Finally, if sightseeing from a campground, we very comfortably carry six adults and plenty of gear. Should the need arise, eight adults would all be quite comfortable in the Sequoia.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote