Wiggle when using rear storage box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Wiggle when using rear storage box

Want to carry our Honda EU2000i for running A/C. Did not want to leave generator exposed to elements.

Ordered Lund 9436T 36-Inch Aluminum Flush Mount Single Lid Truck Tool Box, Diamond Plated, Silver, 36x20x18", 26 lbs.. This holds the one generator easily. It fits between the rear lights with no obstruction, and it doesn't extend too far back from bumper.

Mounted it on a 2" bar to use on rear bumper hitch box. Total weight as mounted is 41 lbs.

Front view:

Side view, top open, with tie downs on each side to bumper.

Hitch stabilizer:

Total weight of box and generator was 98 lbs, with hitch labeled as holding 150 lbs.

When we set out for our recent trip, we noticed a significant change in the way the trailer feels from inside the tow vehicle. You don't see any real side-to-side sway in the rear mirror, but it just feels wiggly.

We loaded the trailer normally, with not much under rear bed. Fresh water 2/3 full; black and gray empty. Have read several other threads where bike racks seem to cause sway or unsteady towing.

Will measure trailer and tongue weight on return trip.

With such little weight added to rear (2.5% of total trailer weight), why does the tow feeling change so much? What have others experienced when adding items to the rear?
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You need to weigh your tongue and determine the tongue weight with 100 lbs hanging that far off the back you may be too light.....looks unsafe. You also may need to have a red flag or some other marking for loads protruding from the rear.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
i notice a difference when towing with a full fresh water tank vs an empty fresh fresh water tank
Many things sway when there is excess weight in the rear
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It looks good, but given it is the 19 I would do a double check on the tongue weight. If that is fine, then your setup certainly will be too. When I built my cargo box, I opted to move the spare forward, and mount the box right near the body of the trailer for both better weight distribution and overall length.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Your towing performance will not only be affected by the weight that you carry on the rear of your Escape, but also by how far beyond the rear bumper that weight is placed. The further away the more detrimental the effect on towing. Your box appears to extend quite a distance beyond the rear of the trailer. If at all possible I would suggest reworking the position of the box and spare tire to keep the weight closer to the trailer. As others had mentioned, you could move the spare tire to the front of the trailer or elsewhere to improve the weight distribution.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #6

Move generators to front???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When I built my cargo box, I opted to move the spare forward, and mount the box right near the body of the trailer for both better weight distribution and overall length.
Good idea. I could mount the box on the rear bumper like you did if I move the spare tire forward. Will need to figure if this type of side mount will work given the propane tanks and battery/storage box.

Found this on a Casita forum, as an idea of moving the generator to the trailer tongue with a generator shelf above propane bottles. Have also see the Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray Cargo Carrier. Both provide mounting but no weather protection.

Have not found on this forum any other weather protected, tongue mounted generators without replacing Escape's front storage box. Found these generator boxes for weather protection, but the box weighs more than the one I am using.

Any other suggestions to weather protect the generator?

73/gus
Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Good idea. I could mount the box on the rear bumper like you did if I move the spare tire forward. Will need to figure if this type of side mount will work given the propane tanks and battery/storage box.

Found this on a Casita forum, as an idea of moving the generator to the trailer tongue with a generator shelf above propane bottles. Have also see the Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray Cargo Carrier. Both provide mounting but no weather protection.

Have not found on this forum any other weather protected, tongue mounted generators without replacing Escape's front storage box. Found these generator boxes for weather protection, but the box weighs more than the one I am using.

Any other suggestions to weather protect the generator?

73/gus
Not sure if you saw the thread, but here is one I made of the install.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...box-12420.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a similar box on the back of my 17. I found that I couldn't remove the spare tire because the wrench would hit the top of the box. Had to set it up so that the box was easily removed.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'll second getting the trailer weighed to insure that the tongue weight under loaded conditions is at least 10% of the total trailer weight. 19's tend to run a bit tongue light in the first place, particularly before Escape moved the batteries to the tongue box. The "wiggles" you describe are the first sign of low tongue weight, and under emergency maneuvers, or higher than normal speeds, can quickly turn into uncontrollable sway.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailer: ?
You are carrying over 100# of fresh water. As a temporary measure, I would pump most of that water from the fresh water tank to the more forward located grey/black tank, whichever one is located farthest forward.(don’t know anything about the 19 tanks)
That weight shift will help with the low tongue weight issue and give the trailer a better trim.

Until you can resolve the weight issue, I would run with minimal water and perhaps buy a few of the 2 1/2 gallon containers of water and store them as far forward as possible.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Even with my spare tire mounted under the tongue on my 19 and dual batteries on top...with a full load of fresh water my tongue weigh is only 400 lbs.
With your load on the rear and the tire back there as well, I think you will find you need to get more weight up front.
Attached Thumbnails
947DE18B-7460-4A31-A072-859DAD9D4C51.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Even with my spare tire mounted under the tongue on my 19 and dual batteries on top...with a full load of fresh water my tongue weigh is only 400 lbs.
Didn't realize the 19' tongue weight is so light. Will keep working on it.

73/gus
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
With your load on the rear and the tire back there as well, I think you will find you need to get more weight up front.
I did the same on a 21 after the tire was displaced for a mini-split condenser. If you have the front storage box you can likely furnish some brackets underneath the A-frame and put it on a winch like I did.

Direct link to tire winch:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post292144

The lever effect is working against you. I would look at reworking the placement of the box if possible to get it as close to the trailer body as possible.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I wanted to take my Honda 2000 generator along, too, and made this rack using a lockdown plate from LowPro so it is difficult to steal. I am happy with the cover on the generator for protection. I based the rack on another similar setup from this forum. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post245690 I estimate the rack and generator weigh 90 pounds. My hitch weight is 400 pounds with a full fresh water tank and empty gray and black tanks so I am at 10% of the trailer weight. I have noticed no handling impact with this addition. I always tow with my Jeep Grand Cherokee and a WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
20190618_091141.jpg   20190618_095336.jpg   20190618_095430.jpg