Wireless Backup Camera—Recommendations? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Wireless Backup Camera—Recommendations?

Our 2019 E21C has no pre-wire for a backup camera. I do more or less OK with my wife directing, but I'd like to reduce the 'less' with a backup camera (I bought a set of Milenco mirrors, but find they don't add much to the factory ones on my Ford Expedition).

So I'm hoping to find an inexpensive and easy-to-install backup camera with a companion screen I can see at the wheel of the Expy. Do these exist?

I'm not crazy about drilling any holes in the back of my Escape. Maybe a camera could be mounted on the back edge of the solar panel. . .?

Suggestions?
Old 10-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0
They do make wireless ones that are magnetized and you just get out and put it on your bumper on the back of the trailer
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
They do make wireless ones that you could probably figure out an easy way to attach to the solar panel bracket. You would still need 12VDC for the camera. I haven’t used them, but have had folks recommend TadiBrothers.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
They do make wireless ones that are magnetized and you just get out and put it on your bumper on the back of the trailer
How powered? Battery?
Old 10-18-2022, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
How powered? Battery?
Yes, battery powered. We have a wireless rear camera (Haloview HandyCamera). It came with a magnetic metal plate with 3M tape on one side that you can stick to the trailer. We placed ours centered above the spare tire by the rear light. We pull the camera off when we’re not towing, or if we’re stopped for a while.

Battery lasts 3 - 4 hours of continuous use before it needs to be recharged. You can also purchase a spare battery.

You can hard mount the monitor to your tow vehicle dash, but we found a good place for it to “just sit.” It plugs into 12v “cigarette lighter” outlets.

The set up works great for us.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Our installation of a wireless rear camera on our 21C

We also have a 2019 21C, and we did not have the factory install of the rear camera.

However, this is how we added one.

We got this camera from Amazon. It has worked well for us:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like you, we were hesitant to drill a hole in the fiberglass. However, I was confident enough to drill a hole in the vent system for the battery and snake a wire out to the camera from inside the trailer (see picture). Inside the trailer, I tapped one of the running light lines (accessible in the rear under the seats). This line has power whenever the trailer is plugged into our tow vehicle and the headlights are on. It was easy to caulk around the small hole I made into the vent pipe.

To mount the camera, I used numerous heavy duty, UV resistant zip-ties and attached it on the bumper, under the spare tire.

Hope this helps! Bea
Attached Thumbnails
camera and vent.jpg   vent.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Our 2019 E21C has no pre-wire for a backup camera. I do more or less OK with my wife directing, but I'd like to reduce the 'less' with a backup camera (I bought a set of Milenco mirrors, but find they don't add much to the factory ones on my Ford Expedition).

So I'm hoping to find an inexpensive and easy-to-install backup camera with a companion screen I can see at the wheel of the Expy. Do these exist?

I'm not crazy about drilling any holes in the back of my Escape. Maybe a camera could be mounted on the back edge of the solar panel. . .?

Suggestions?
I have the one Escape provided, 12 volt wired up, works great. I never use it much to backup with but as a security camera it’s great.
I then added another one on the front, made it where I have the screen in my bedroom. Then I have power switches for both cameras along with a power source for the screen.

It will work best in the intended location.
Just takes a really small hole to install it. Make sure to move the interior liner so as not to damage it when drilling thru.
You can do it…
There is also help on YouTube.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We also have a 2019 21C, and we did not have the factory install of the rear camera.

However, this is how we added one.

We got this camera from Amazon. It has worked well for us:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like you, we were hesitant to drill a hole in the fiberglass. However, I was confident enough to drill a hole in the vent system for the battery and snake a wire out to the camera from inside the trailer (see picture). Inside the trailer, I tapped one of the running light lines (accessible in the rear under the seats). This line has power whenever the trailer is plugged into our tow vehicle and the headlights are on. It was easy to caulk around the small hole I made into the vent pipe.

To mount the camera, I used numerous heavy duty, UV resistant zip-ties and attached it on the bumper, under the spare tire.

Hope this helps! Bea
Thanks, Bea—I like your non-intrusive solutions. Clever to go through the battery vent. I wouldn't mind drilling into the bumper, and avoiding zip-ties, though.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Suggestions?
I just received this one EWAY WiFi Magnetic Hitch Wireless Backup Rear/Front View Camera Rechargeable Battery for Easy Hitching of Gooseneck Horse Boat Travel Trailer/Fifth Wheels/RV/Camper Reverse for iPhone iPad Android

It is battery operated and magnetic. You can put it on the back of your tow vehicle while hooking up. You can put it on the back of the trailer while backing into the site. It charges with a USB cable. It also includes a 12 volt plug so you can hardwire it. My intent is to attach a metal bracket above the rear window inside the trailer and have it look out the rear window while driving. Then I can still pull it out to help with hitching up.

They do have models with their own monitor, but, I'm just going to use an old smart phone.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have an old RAM WiFi magnetic / phone camera, and I don’t personally find it very useful. I’m sure it works for some. Escapes option is overpriced to me, but I took it because it was one less thing I would want to find time to add. I’ve added them to other trucks and trailers, and did not find it difficult. It just takes time.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
After a false start with another camera with not enough signal strength, I bought the Autovox W10 from Amazon. I have the camera attached inside the rear window and plug it into a 12V socket when driving or backing. The monitor sits “loose” at the bottom of the console while driving and in front of the speedometer when I’m backing up. Only downside is the window interfering with vision at night. My solution: I don’t drive at night. The mounting bracket was a scrap of L-metal and I filed screw notches and drilled screw holes. I found a 12V plug somewhere and soldered it.

I like the inside camera because it’s protected, it’s at a good angle while driving snd backing up, and I control when it’s powered. And no holes in the skin.

I will confess however that I have an alternative trailer while waiting for a suitable Escape to come up so my window screws may be different than yours.
Attached Thumbnails
7777B4E3-1923-4EA5-8BB4-FC8C1AFF6709.jpg   D50A12DC-74C0-4CDB-93A5-A3B11D13464B.jpg  
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #12
Site Team

[QUOTE=camp4528;432803

I like the inside camera because it’s protected, it’s at a good angle while driving snd backing up, and I control when it’s powered. And no holes in the skin.
[/QUOTE]

Can't tell if your window has a screen, but if so, would that interfere with the image? We have screens on our back windows.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Can't tell if your window has a screen, but if so, would that interfere with the image? We have screens on our back windows.
Good point. The back window of my trailer has a screen on the other half. I know the Escapes have a fixed back window with no screen unless you go for one of the window options.

I dont think a screen would obscure the image enough to be s problem but you can check it out by taking a photo with your phone or camera at the same range and see how it looks.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
We got the ETI camera and are not happy with the quality of the picture. Could I replace it and use the current wiring? With this camera your headlights must be on for it to work. If I reuse the wires, I assume the same would be true.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
We got the ETI camera and are not happy with the quality of the picture. Could I replace it and use the current wiring? With this camera your headlights must be on for it to work. If I reuse the wires, I assume the same would be true.
I also didn’t care for the headlights on deal so I just used a drop line and installed a on-off switch.
Try turning off the auto dim and see if that helps with the quality of your screen, mine is working out great now.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #16

Where was I?

A bit of fun if you like.

My rather boring mundane image from the backup camera was taken yesterday at one of the most famous, fascinating and sobering spots in Eastern USA.

I’ll post the answer in a bit. No need to post your guess and highjack the thread further. You’ll have your own satisfaction to be content with.

Answer: Gettysburg National War memorial. The RV’s are shuffled off to a separate area. I learned an interesting and sobering fact at the WW2 memorial in the Washington DC Mall today. There were about 400,000 soldiers lost in WW2 fighting. There were about 630,000 lost during the American Civil War.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
"Headlights"? Nothing on the trailer is wired into your TV headlights.

The camera might be wired into the line for your running lights (same as 'parking lights' on older vehicles). Just turn your headlight switch one notch for your running lights, which will also light up the trailer's, when your 7-pin is connected.

I like to use running lights anyway, even in the daytime. You'll notice a lot of big trucks do, too. Anything to improve getting noticed. Especially important at dusk (and early dawn).
Old 10-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
"Headlights"? Nothing on the trailer is wired into your TV headlights.

The camera might be wired into the line for your running lights (same as 'parking lights' on older vehicles). Just turn your headlight switch one notch for your running lights, which will also light up the trailer's, when your 7-pin is connected.

I like to use running lights anyway, even in the daytime. You'll notice a lot of big trucks do, too. Anything to improve getting noticed. Especially important at dusk (and early dawn).
I totally agree about the daytime running lights. On my truck-2021 Toyota, it has a nice auto feature on the lights, which I like to leave it on that setting. The backup camera doesn’t work well with it on.
I was about to toss it in a drawer…
Old 10-20-2022, 08:57 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I totally agree about the daytime running lights. On my truck-2021 Toyota, it has a nice auto feature on the lights, which I like to leave it on that setting. The backup camera doesn’t work well with it on.
I was about to toss it in a drawer…
I'm talking about running lights (aka parking lights), not daytime-running headlamps (usually identified as DLRs on dashboards). AFAIK the backup cameras are wired into the former, not the latter.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I also didn’t care for the headlights on deal so I just used a drop line and installed a on-off switch.
Try turning off the auto dim and see if that helps with the quality of your screen, mine is working out great now.
Thanks, but I don't understand. I know very little about electricity. A drop line? On/Off switch on the camera? Thanks.