X-Chock Alternative - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Mine can't be locked, I don't think, but if they're tightened down might take a thief a few extra seconds to release them with a wrench. . .
X-chocks have holes in the wheel around the top that you can run a padlock through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220727_092633930.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	63919
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
First time I camped with the 19 in Canada was at the Wine Escape in Niagara Falls. We opened our trailer for the tours on Saturday morning. A woman spent quite a bit of time inside the trailer with my wife looking things over.

Her husband and I were outside lying about gas milage and other man things.
When the woman came out she was pleasant and continued to look things over outside. Her eyes fell on the X chocks between the tandems.
“What are those for, she asked?”
“To keep the trailer from rocking”, my answer.
Rarely without words I had no comeback for her next question.
“What’s the fun in that, she asked?”

So give the old Escape time and on a cold rainy night with the furnace perking along, Coleman Hawkins doing his rendition of “Body and Soul” and after a couple shots of VSOP Cognac, maybe those X chocks will seem more practical and maybe not.
https://www.google.com/search?q=you+...Fg6HvljDE,st:0

Iowa Dave
Old 07-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
"If the trailer's rockin'. . ."
Old 07-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
X-chocks have holes in the wheel around the top that you can run a padlock through.

Attachment 63919
Gad, another padlock or two?

Anyway, even if they're pretty tight, the X-chocks aren't very hard to yank out.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Gad, another padlock or two?

Anyway, even if they're pretty tight, the X-chocks aren't very hard to yank out.
Obviously, we must get ours more than 'pretty tight', because there is no way anyone is just yanking them out.

And I'd rather carry half a dozen small locks, than one massive Proven Industries lock.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #26

There are some things that I just can’t get excited about being a target for thieves. X chocks are one of those things. Firewood, plastic buckets, and water jugs are some more. I do take my Milenco mirrors off and put them in the vehicle when I get set up and I don’t leave coolers out for thieves and masked bandits (raccoons) to liberate. I haven’t lost any dog leashes by leaving them behind lately.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There are some things that I just can’t get excited about being a target for thieves. X chocks are one of those things. Firewood, plastic buckets, and water jugs are some more. I do take my Milenco mirrors off and put them in the vehicle when I get set up and I don’t leave coolers out for thieves and masked bandits (raccoons) to liberate. I haven’t lost any dog leashes by leaving them behind lately.
Iowa Dave
If the X-chocks are locked the wheels can't turn. You can't steal the trailer if the wheels can't turn.

Your not locking the X-chocks to keep the X-chocks from being stolen, you're locking them to help prevent the trailer from being stolen.

Edit: Any lock can be defeated by a determined thief. Even the multi -hundred dollar 10 pound Proven Industries lock. The goal is to make the other guy's trailer easier to steal than yours. I'd rather put a couple padlocks on my X-chocks and padlock my safety chains to my propane tanks, than spend a couple hundred dollars on a heavy single point, single function lock. My safety chains already exist and padlocking them to my propane tanks secures the propane tanks and keeps the trailer from being dragged away with the safety chains. The X-chocks perform their chock, stabilizer function, and lock the wheels up when installed and padlocked.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:04 PM   #28

I have observed from a distance the owner of a tandem axle trailer driving off with the X chocks installed. Then is a unique noise as the chock is spit out and run over. Those F250s and 350s have a lot of power and with the air conditioning on,
the windows up and the driver’s mind on the task at hand, the ejected x chock is but a footnote.
I’ve also seen plastic and Rubber chocks be driven over the cracking sound on those camco jobs is identifiable too.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-27-2022, 11:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have observed from a distance the owner of a tandem axle trailer driving off with the X chocks installed. Then is a unique noise as the chock is spit out and run over. Those F250s and 350s have a lot of power and with the air conditioning on,
the windows up and the driver’s mind on the task at hand, the ejected x chock is but a footnote.
I’ve also seen plastic and Rubber chocks be driven over the cracking sound on those camco jobs is identifiable too.
Iowa Dave
It got your attention enough that you still remember it today. Which means you would be able to provide valuable information as a witness, had it been a theft rather than a faux pas.

Edit: oh and by the way, I also have a two inch hardwood ball locked in the trailer hitch, using the same hitch lock, that I use to secure the hitch to the tow vehicle. So, they can't just drop the hitch on their F350 and drag until the X-chocks explode out from between the tires.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Here is my home-made version of the wedge type wheel chocks. I have been using these for about 9 years now and they are simple to use and very effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Beaumont-20130704-00043.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Your not locking the X-chocks to keep the X-chocks from being stolen, you're locking them to help prevent the trailer from being stolen.
If you think X-chocks are a theft deterrent, you have a false sense of security.

While you wouldn't purposely drive off when the X-chocks in place, a thief doesn't have your concerns when it comes to damaging YOUR trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you think X-chocks are a theft deterrent, you have a false sense of security.

While you wouldn't purposely drive off when the X-chocks in place, a thief doesn't have your concerns when it comes to damaging YOUR trailer.
Yes, I think locked X-chocks are ONE part of a theft deterrence system.

Any lock can be defeated by a determined thief. Even the multi-hundred dollar 10 pound Proven Industries lock.

The goal is to make the other guy's trailer easier to steal than yours.

I'm done. I've shared my views hopefully they will help someone add an inexpensive extra piece to help deter thieves from targeting their trailer. For everyone else, good luck.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #33

Witness

Quote:
It got your attention enough that you still remember it today. Which means you would be able to provide valuable information as a witness, had it been a theft rather than a faux pas.

Edit: oh and by the way, I also have a two inch hardwood ball locked in the trailer hitch, using the same hitch lock, that I use to secure the hitch to the tow vehicle. So, they can't just drop the hitch on their F350 and drag until the X-chocks explode out from between the tires.
Years ago we were camped with our tent trailer in a Missouri state park. About half of the campers in there were there to fish in the nearby lake. About 7 AM, well after the sun was up, a pickup truck with three young guys came driving respectfully through the camp ground . They pulled up into a site with a camper in it but no vehicle. One guy got out, walked directly over to a cooler setting by the camper, put it in the back of the pickup like it was something he’d forgotten, and they drove off. About an hour later the owners returned and immediately noticed their cooler missing they asked a couple of campers about it and then one of them returned a few minutes later with the ranger. Interviews for witnesses ensued. The conclusion and not much else, three young guys in a red Ford pickup truck. That’s it. There was no camp host and no cameras everywhere in those days. No license numbers were noted. After that I did not leave my cooler out anymore when I left to see the sights.
Thieves can be very bold even in crowded campgrounds and their mantra is “Just look like you know what you’re doing”.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 2022 21C
Does anyone use Maxchock brand of X type chocks ? These can be adjusted/installed with a cordless drill. They have a 3/4" drive stud that is perpendicular to the X. Can also be locked with a thin looking cable lock. Comes with a socket for your drill and a hand crank tool, all in a plastic case. A bit pricey though.
DK in AK is offline   Reply With Quote