11 Days of Free Camping: Yellowstone and Grand Tetons - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
11 Days of Free Camping: Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

The title says it all.....

Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Beautiful

Thanks for posting the video. I was lucky enough about 12 years ago to back pack and camp for two weeks at Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, I would list Grand Tetons as one of my top 3 NP favorite parks ever visited.
Question, the camping area on the Snake River since it only had 4 site were you just lucky and got one or can you reserve that?
I'm getting guilty of wishing my life away these days, my career had a sudden change forced on it about 8 months ago, if my better 1/2 could call it quits pretty sure I would say load up Grover (what we call our home on wheels) we're leaving but she still has about 6 years of working left so now I hope that time passes really quick or she might just have to miss me some time. LOL
I tell people here in the SE yes we have mountains but if you really want to see mountains you have to go west, the highest elevation I've ever been on my feet was at Grand Tetons 11,400 feet and man was it windy up there but the beauty I will never forget.
Couple of more questions:

What time of year was your trip?

Also what type of drone do you own? Something I'm considering getting .

Safe travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Thanks for posting the video. I was lucky enough about 12 years ago to back pack and camp for two weeks at Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, I would list Grand Tetons as one of my top 3 NP favorite parks ever visited.
Question, the camping area on the Snake River since it only had 4 site were you just lucky and got one or can you reserve that?
I'm getting guilty of wishing my life away these days, my career had a sudden change forced on it about 8 months ago, if my better 1/2 could call it quits pretty sure I would say load up Grover (what we call our home on wheels) we're leaving but she still has about 6 years of working left so now I hope that time passes really quick or she might just have to miss me some time. LOL
I tell people here in the SE yes we have mountains but if you really want to see mountains you have to go west, the highest elevation I've ever been on my feet was at Grand Tetons 11,400 feet and man was it windy up there but the beauty I will never forget.
Couple of more questions:

What time of year was your trip?

Also what type of drone do you own? Something I'm considering getting .

Safe travels,

Steve
Thanks for checking out the video! We post about one per week, so if you subscribe to the channel, you'll get notifications.
Answers:
Sorry that I wasn't more clear - the spot on Grassy Lake Road is just the first of several along the road. We found it through ioverlander...we pulled in just as the occupant of our spot pulled out (seems to be our MO these days). So, there are a good number of possible spots....in a pinch you could "dispersed" camp and then just wander over to use the john as need be....

We were in Yellowstone/Tetons two weeks ago....low temp was 21 degrees (the morning I recorded the wolves howling)

My drone is a DJI Mavic Air. I love it, but I've been getting some connectivity issues with it lately as well as some gimbal jumpiness, so I may end up sending it in for repair or replacing it. The plus side is that it's really small, easy to use, and takes beautiful video.....

Take caree
Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Came from the east on US 26/287 I stopped in Moran at the Angeles Rv park (we stayed there several years ago) but though there were plenty of spots available all were full hookups at $49/nite. Not for me that day. They told me about a free boondocking campground just west of them, off 26/287 on Buffalo Valley Road in the Turpin Meadows area. I towed to the road but never found the free camping area, didn’t drive far enough in, turned around and left. Later found out it was 10 miles in, off the main highway.

Regardless, got some nice shots of the area. Gotta get me one of them drones.
Attached Thumbnails
Moran04a.jpg   Moran02.jpg  
Old 10-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Came from the east on US 26/287 I stopped in Moran at the Angeles Rv park (we stayed there several years ago) but though there were plenty of spots available all were full hookups at $49/nite. Not for me that day. They told me about a free boondocking campground just west of them, off 26/287 on Buffalo Valley Road in the Turpin Meadows area. I towed to the road but never found the free camping area, didn’t drive far enough in, turned around and left. Later found out it was 10 miles in, off the main highway.

Regardless, got some nice shots of the area. Gotta get me one of them drones.
We drove up that same road, past the cafe....never found the free camping either. We did find a spot on a forest service road right across from the Campbell Cabin (may not have the name right) that has a killer view of the tetons and it's just outside the park. We chose not to move because there is no vault toilet available (I'll take one whenever I can find one) and it was very dusty. Didn't see the value of leaving the bank of the Snake River at that point.

Safe travels!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Myron, when I met my wife the summer of 2003, she was working at the dude ranch in your picture (Heart Six). I lived just down the street off of Teton Wilderness rd, and spent a lot of time fishing the Buffalo Fork that summer. thanks for sharing the photos!
Mpresco2002 is offline   Reply With Quote