Advice for Camping in or Near Yosemite? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
Advice for Camping in or Near Yosemite?

We are thinking of heading down to Yosemite this July/August. Since it is late to make reservations, we can either stay in the surrounding area, or I have read that if you arrive in the morning, sites are available. Any advice? Specific campgrounds to try, or avoid?
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
just made reservations for the 12th of August on Friday--could not get into the village but we are in Crane Flat which is about a 20 -30 min drive ot the village---cheap at only $20 a night---Hodgdon Meadow is another 8 or so miles to the west but still in the park.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Stayed at Yosemite Pines RV Resort. Asked for a pull through since we were only staying one night and making a dash into Yosemite. DON'T ask for a pull through, choose a back in. Most of the pull through were out in the sun and very hot. Back ins had better shade. It is a commercial venture with lots of cabins and yurts as well. After getting there we did see other RV parks in the area just outside the west entrance. We thought it very crowded. We only stayed here one night because we did manage to get reservations for 3 nights at Crane Flats. Most sites inside the park are primitive. While we were there at least one of the restrooms was out of commission and the other was not working well. You will use that bathroom if you have one! Crane Flats was a great place to take off from to get to the valley floor. Not a bad drive to get there and we did like returning to Crane Flats at night. Very shady and very cool even in the middle of July. Actually used the heater in the morning. We had to make reservations inside the park 5 months ahead of time. Crane Flat was full every night we were there so don't expect to get a site at the last minute. Oh, and be prepared for that last 10 miles going into Groveland from the west on 120!
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
We stayed at a back in site at Yosemite Pines (with no reservations) in 2011 & liked the site. Nothing fancy, but quiet (except for the acorn woodpeckers in the tree next to our site) & uncrowded. I guess it depends on the time of year - we were there in the end of May.

My favorite way to visit Yosemite is to stay in Lee Vining. Of course Tioga Pass needs to be open & is is a long drive, but I like visiting Mono Lake & the Bodie Ghost Town, both near Lee Vining. There is a commercial campground in Lee Vining (Mono Vista) , and a couple of boondocking sites around the lake.