Alberta closing parks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Alberta closing parks

You may have to turn the audio on.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1915068
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Casita
We have friends that live in Alberta. From their comments, the economy of the province has been wrecked by political decisions made back East. Sad in many ways, as we always enjoyed the many provincial parks on our journeys through western Canada.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A proposed 20 partial or full closures, mostly ones that see little use. Some other proposed spending on services cuts. None that would affect not camping in you Escape trailer.

It will get too political for this site to go further into detail. The bottom line is we can all still go out and make memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A proposed 20 partial or full closures, mostly ones that see little use. Some other proposed spending on services cuts. None that would affect not camping in you Escape trailer.

It will get too political for this site to go further into detail. The bottom line is we can all still go out and make memories.
This is when the forum needs a "like" button.

Also, I note that this story is about Alberta provincial recreational areas; it does not affect national parks in Alberta, such as Jasper, Banff, Waterton, Wood Buffalo, and Elk Island.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 17b
The wors closure makes it sound like they will gate it up and block access. That isn't the case at all.

The parks will simply not be maintained from my understanding. Which honestly, I like better anyways. More natural = better.
ericbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbirk View Post
The [word] closure makes it sound like they will gate it up and block access. That isn't the case at all.

The parks will simply not be maintained from my understanding. Which honestly, I like better anyways. More natural = better.
While some locations will change to unmaintained, others will indeed be closed to the public. And a shorter season (which will apply to some campgrounds) is certainly not an improvement.

Direct to the source:
https://albertaparks.ca/news-events/

Still, it's not a big disaster, and there are still lots of good camping spots in Alberta.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
https://thenarwhal.ca/albertas-backy...ely-shut-down/

10 parks completely closed, 10 partially closed, and 164 contracted out because they do not make enough money. Daily fees going up by $3 to $10 as well as all other fees such as power etc. for the ones remaining in the park system. The ones contracted out who knows what the fees will be? I think it is a real shame as the cost saving is a drop in the bucket. I am assuming the people making those decisions probably aren't campers. A lot of people enjoy using those small parks and do not want to go to huge 300 site campgrounds.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Hi: Jim Bennett... Everyone knows that "Gubber mints" are running out of money... OURS!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 17b
Ah well thats too bad about the 10.
Personally, I usually bush camp, but then again I also don't currently own a trailer. Although I don't expect that to change much when I do.

I am not a fan of most campgrounds as they are too busy, and usually too open. These smaller locations would have been great. Hopefully they get opened up with no maintenance at a minimum.
ericbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
This situation is not unique to Alberta
It will all eventually be pay to play
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
We have friends that live in Alberta. From their comments, the economy of the province has been wrecked by political decisions made back East.

Easy target. They haven't noticed that oil prices are plummeting? Or that people are switching to EV ( over time )? New homes installing thermal and solar?

Major oil field find announced yesterday off central America. Russia refusing to restrict flow of oil. Alberta's oil sands are hugely expensive to mine. It doesn't look to get better for them.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
We have friends that live in Alberta. From their comments, the economy of the province has been wrecked by political decisions made back East. Sad in many ways, as we always enjoyed the many provincial parks on our journeys through western Canada.
Our economy is heavily reliant on oil resources. When the world price of oil goes from over $110 per barrel to less than $25 then settles in around $40 over a couple of years that results in huge revenue shortages for the government and tens of thousands of job losses. Were definitely hurting here.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #13

Not to get political, but that's impossible, Alberta has elected and re-elected Conservative governments for decades. They then elected the New Democratic Party for one term and are now back to Conservative.

But, apparently, the state of their economy is the fault of the federal Liberal government. BTW, for a decade prior to the Liberals, the federal government was the Conservative party.
One thing is for sure. It's always the other guy's fault.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not to get political, but that's impossible, Alberta has elected and re-elected Conservative governments for decades. They then elected the New Democratic Party for one term and are now back to Conservative.

But, apparently, the state of their economy is the fault of the federal Liberal government. BTW, for a decade prior to the Liberals, the federal government was the Conservative party.
Hi: gbaglo... Do you keep any "Corona's" in your fridge? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Not sure who you are responding to but I agree with your point of view. I'm just trying really hard to not get political which is tough to do sometimes.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #16

Here is link to story about just how bad the future is for Alberta, thanks to oil and gas industry choosing bankruptcy over fulfilling responsibilities.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayed...blem-1.5486689
Old 03-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Probably “selfish” on my part or just uninformed, but I had not thought about the stagnant oil prices having the kind of effect it apparently has in Alberta. It’s never good when a vibrant economy depends on commodity price trends and there’s a downturn. Here it’s corn and soybeans and the flat oil prices reducing the “benefit” of corn based ethanol and soy diesel. I need to take a modern economics course, I’m behind the times. Or maybe just go camping.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I need to take a modern economics course, I’m behind the times. Or maybe just go camping.
Iowa Dave

I'm thinking about how the economy reacts to this Corona scare. The stock market has been tanking over fears of disruption in supply chain and that consumers aren't consuming ( TP excluded ). So, U.S. and Canadian treasuries reduce interest rates to encourage spending. My retirement funds are in mutual funds and savings accounts. I'm getting hit on both sides.

Thinking I should just buy a new Highlander and go camping.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve been out looking at a couple campgrounds every week, some don’t have much for services and no nearby “attractions “ but good recommendations on fishing and birdwatching. Might fish a little new water this year. It doesn’t take much to keep me happy. Beer and good food. What else is there?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Beer and good food. What else is there?
Iowa Dave
Right on Dave. We're enjoying our first week of camping this year here in GA and after seeing this morning's news am trying to forget things. I was smart and bought a bunch of US$ when the rate was about a nickel better back in January, Glad I did, with oil prices falling our dollar is dropping against yours daily. Our Toronto stock market had to close this morning due to the immense drop in values, never as much in one day since 1987. Just keep camping knowing that what goes down eventually comes back.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote