APP for Finding RV/campground parks on the fly - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
APP for Finding RV/campground parks on the fly

Traveling cross country we often don't know our destination for the night. Googling campgrounds once we have a "target" town is iffy at best. Even RV Reviews.com has led us astray. Is there a smart phone app for finding parks that you can recommend?

Thanks!
gwolfe@wvi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolfe@wvi.com View Post
Traveling cross country we often don't know our destination for the night. Googling campgrounds once we have a "target" town is iffy at best. Even RV Reviews.com has led us astray. Is there a smart phone app for finding parks that you can recommend?

Thanks!
Currently, I would say that Allstays is the best one. Others may have another opinion.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: none
I like Allstays as well:

https://www.allstays.com/apps/
Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Ultimate Campgrounds is more thorough than Allstays; the latter is no longer being supported on Android. On either one, I believe you need cell service to view the map (without which it's hard to tell where the CGs are located) or have the map cached on the phone from a recent viewing. If internet is available via cellular or whatever, then websites become an option as well and one can use https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/ or https://freecampsites.net/ as additional tools.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Ultimate Campgrounds is more thorough than Allstays; the latter is no longer being supported on Android. On either one, I believe you need cell service to view the map (without which it's hard to tell where the CGs are located) or have the map cached on the phone from a recent viewing. If internet is available via cellular or whatever, then websites become an option as well and one can use https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/ or https://freecampsites.net/ as additional tools.
Thanks for great replies. After a horrible experience in Columbus, NE the other night, I used that town to "test" Allstays and RV Parky. That latter found our nasty place and a couple of positive alternatives. Allstays sent me 110 miles to the next park. Downloaded Parky. Thanks again!
gwolfe@wvi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I have used RV Parky and been happy with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use both AllStays Camp & RV app as well as the Ultimate Public Campgrounds.

Ultimate Public Campgrounds does not include commercial campgrounds, and while AllStays has both, each have campgrounds that the other doesn't. Both are worth the small charge for the app, but you can use either's web page for free.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
I use Allstays when planing the next schedule stop as it gives me an idea of mileage from where I ‘m at. But if we are just traveling say from point A to point B, when it gets 3or4 o’clock we just bring up “campgrounds” on the GPS. It will tell you the distance and give a phone #. We have found some good ones and some not so good ones, but we have never been homeless for the night.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Does anybody use the Good Sam app? It looks pretty good and shows other campgrounds besides Good Sam campgrounds.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #10

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Does anybody use the Good Sam app? It looks pretty good and shows other campgrounds besides Good Sam campgrounds.

I have, last year coming home from Osoyoos after picking up the trailer and attending the rally. The last several days were freestyle with no real plans on where to stop. It gave us two really nice places and none that while looking a little run down worked for the one night stay. So I'm happy with it so far.

Quick edit, I am a member of Good Sam, though I don't think you have to be to use the app.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I use the Good Sam trip planner on their website for trip planning before we leave to plan camping destinations and driving times for driving days. I also look at RV Park Reviews RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks to confirm what Good Sam tells us and also use Campsite Photos https://www.campsitephotos.com if we want to reserve a site in a public (state, national) park, to help select a good site.

No matter how good or how poor a campground might be, there are always contrary reviews, so all reviews need to be taken with a chunk of salt.

If we are on the road looking for a place for the night, we use Allstays on the iPad.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Please Rate Your Stays

On a recent trip I used RV Parky, Ultimate Campgrounds, KOA, and Goodsam..

I encourage everybody to rate your stays when you get home, it lets other campers know when to stay away, and owners to get it together. Rating on Google is the most important, I usually Google everything and look at reviews.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
I use the Good Sam trip planner on their website for trip planning before we leave to plan camping destinations and driving times for driving days. I also look at RV Park Reviews RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks to confirm what Good Sam tells us and also use Campsite Photos https://www.campsitephotos.com if we want to reserve a site in a public (state, national) park, to help select a good site.
I use the above plus I have recently started also using campendium.com as it shows more campgrounds than RV Park Reviews. On the road, I use Good Sam and RV Parky. Since my phone is memory challenged, I have the RV Parky app and use Good Sam through the web site.

I use Good Sam Trip Planner on my PC to plan my trips. Based on an experience on one trip with poor connectivity and a stubborn GPS, I also put my trip into Google Maps and print the trip details as a hard copy backup.