Attention Wolverines - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021
Attention Wolverines

My son is renting a house in the Holland Mi area in Mid July. I am looking to camp in the general area while he is there. Any thoughts on possible campgrounds ? Thank you so much !

Kind regards,

johnny v
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
We just finished making reservations in Manistee and all the way up to the upper peninsula.

There are lots of good campgrounds around that area, but there is a problem. You're late.

It was slim pickins a few weeks ago. You can find some places that still have openings but you better do it now.

I like Holland State Park, Ottawa County Fairgrounds Campground or juts try the different parks in this link I am enclosing. Right now it's a matter of what is available. Both of the parks I mentioned are probably full.

Another option is to go off in a national forest, but you may have to drive a bit to do so. The smaller, out of the way campgrounds that do not take reservations may offer some hope.

The area is drop dead gorgeous and July is high tourist season. So what? Those beach towns are jewels, every one of them.

Here is a link to start exploring the different campgrounds. It's hard work to run them down, but this is what I did. This and recreation.gov (which I hate). Most of the campgrounds on the big lake are full by now.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c.../data=!5m1!1e4

I hope this helps.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Thx Tim, we did get a 3 day stay at Holland state park. Actually it's a parking lot with electric. View of Lake Michigan. Thx will hang on to map.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #4

You will love that parking lot. It has this nice beach with lakefront attached.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 03-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Thats funny. I only stay at top shelf parking lots. I am hopefully going to attach some other dates to the same trip. We love the area, i grew up in Toledo Oh, a lot of Michigan vacations. From the Irish hills in southeastern Mi to Traverse City. Our completion date on our 21ne is April 15. Thx Tim
Old 03-14-2021, 06:22 AM   #6

Just a quick note of caution.

Watch for the flags (red) on the beach. That area has rip tides and you just need to be aware of that. They actually study them at that beach.

Lake Michigan is at a very high level right now and is known for rip tides. It has been very high for a few years now. It has been threatening to overtake the jettys in most harbors. They are all basically set to the same height. They are all very greasy to walk on, when wet. People fall all the time, sometimes in the water.

If it's bad, you will know it without looking at flags. Just an f.y.i.. No biggie.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/news...rack-rip-tides
Old 03-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Hmm, I remember (maybe a dozen or fifteen years ago) how worried they were that the lake levels had dropped precipitously, and it was believed that the lakes would continue to shrink. The Mission Peninsula was, erm, unusually wide at that time. It's all cyclical, though... up and down, down and up.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It's all cyclical, though... up and down, down and up.

Like the Great Salt Lake?
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Hmm, I remember (maybe a dozen or fifteen years ago) how worried they were that the lake levels had dropped precipitously, and it was believed that the lakes would continue to shrink. The Mission Peninsula was, erm, unusually wide at that time. It's all cyclical, though... up and down, down and up.
So right! When I was landscape architecture student at Purdue University (which is a fine university no matter what Iowa Dave may sing about it), our department head worked for the State of Illinois, addressing questions about the lake (humble beginnings for such a noble man). At that time they determined the lake works on 11 years cycles, from high to low. And great variations in the overall lake level occur. I wonder if this is throwing things off a bit.

No kidding this is the height of the high level. Currently the level of the lake is 573.06 above sea level. That reading was taken in January.

Most of the jetty's are near water line, up and down the coast. Lots of erosion and loss of beach. It will come back, but the homes won't. The beach towns still rock! Really! They are this huge secret.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Like the Great Salt Lake?
Beats me. I know a little bit about the Great Lakes, but the only thing I know about the Great Salt Lake is that it's almost as salty as you or I.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Beats me. I know a little bit about the Great Lakes, but the only thing I know about the Great Salt Lake is that it's almost as salty as you or I.
and to add to that comment, the salinity makes "floating" easier than fresh water lakes.....