Bayview/Athol/ Oregon/ Farragut State Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Bayview/Athol/ Oregon/ Farragut State Park

Hi,
We stayed here twice on our recent October trip to Portland, Or. to visit family.
We found the World War II history and the setting fascinating. We biked some of the trails, and visited several "loops", the beach, and the boat launch ramp. The Museum, one of very few remaining original structures was closed for the season. During the years of operation it was the Brig, i.e. jail. Therefore, it was made of concrete, not locally harvested timber.

This was a navy basic training site from 1942 until 1945. More than 290,00
sailors "joined" the navy" at Farragut. It is located on Lake Pont Aurielle, the largest lake in Idaho. It is also far from the west coast and the threat of invasion or bombardment.

The geology of the park is also fascinating. It is apparently close to the starting point of the Glacial Lake Missoula floods that shaped large areas in Washington and Oregon.

The staff was great, the sites were perfectly maintained and large. We will be going back to see and learn more on future treks west from Michigan.
Andy and Mary D.
Chickadee
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
The lake on which this state park is located is Lake Pend Oreille. Beautiful part of this great state.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We stayed a couple nights there a few years ago on our way to Yellowstone...

Doug cousin had been there before as they lived up in the Trail area of BC and it was fairly close for them..

We learnt how to play disc golf there..
Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Hi,
Thanks for the spelling correction. I looked it up and failed to remember it long enough
to get it keyed even close to correctly.

I forgot to mention that we ate at the Blazing Saddles in Athol and had a great meal.
Apparently it burned down recently and it is now an all new building.
Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmut View Post
The lake on which this state park is located is Lake Pend Oreille. Beautiful part of this great state.
Be sure to pronounce it correctly or else one's spouse will raze you about it, even 20 years (or more) later. He's from Spokane, so he'd know. I'm not from that neck of the woods and had only seen it spelled and not pronounced (at least in conjunction with the spelling).

I said "Pend" and then like the Baltimore Oriole bird. Dirk about busted a gut laughing.

It's "Pond Er Ray". Yeah, I didn't take French in school.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote