buying RV site - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Would make sense for a snowbird situation.
Perhaps, but if you're paying enough for exclusive use of a site year-round just to use it for a few months, it might be cheaper to rent seasonally. Maybe owning (or long-term leasing) a site would work for a snowbird if it could be rented out (or sublet) in the summer without being an administrative hassle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 17B
My Escapee park near Yosemite NP was a life saver when I was caught last March when everything was shut down due to Covid. I have my own site and when I decide to give it up I will receive my buy in fee back. My Escapee park is very community oriented and has all kinds of activities one can participate in while here. As an Escapee member you can stay as a visitor at all the parks throughout the country.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is an owner, forum member that has land, I think in Arkansas, that she has installed some hookups and offers them to the public.....will have to dig further.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is an owner, forum member that has land, I think in Arkansas, that she has installed some hookups and offers them to the public.....will have to dig further.

Could be Nindy, with an E-17, and it's in Missouri. Former champion torque wrench competitor and contest winner.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #25

Close enough for government work.........
Old 03-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021
Would love to see more info on this subject.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
For those who might be interested, our RV lot is in Cascade, Idaho, which is about 75 miles north of Boise. It is ideal for us, as we always know that we have a summer place to stay if we are not traveling. We might be in the market for a winter base, perhaps in the Asheville, NC area. The link has quite a few photos of the park and the surrounding area. We might also get on the waiting list for an Escapees park.HOME
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
We might also get on the waiting list for an Escapees park.HOME
If you're serious, don't delay. It takes an average of five years to get a site once you're on the waiting/hot list. Can be longer in a few of the more popular parks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you're serious, don't delay. It takes an average of five years to get a site once you're on the waiting/hot list. Can be longer in a few of the more popular parks.
Yes, I see that. at my age, I better get on the list quickly.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We’ve been on the Escapees Rainbow Park wait list for 1.5 years and close but not in top 5 yet. Our friends have been on a few months longer. The Escapees SKP park wait lists are much longer, so Donna’s advice is excellent as always, it’s not a quick process.
The Escapees SKP and Rainbow parks are similar ideas, but different beasts. We are in-line for 5year Erpu lease in Rainbow park.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #31

The Escapees SKP parks are an interesting arrangement. While the lot is essentially leased to the user, instead of pre-paying for a long lease the user buys into a co-operative, then pays regular fees to cover operating costs, then sells out of the co-operative to leave. It's like buying a condominium, but without getting a title to the property; there's no potential capital gain from selling, but also no loss (as long as the co-operative doesn't fail).

These places don't seem to be open about their costs (I suppose that would change if I joined Escapees, but I'm not doing that just out of curiosity), but one user mentioned a US$11,000 buy-in in 2012 and about US$1200 per year maintenance fees. Cheap if you use it a lot or it avoids expensive storage fees, but expensive if it only replaces a month of campground fees per year... seems like a good option for many people.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
These places don't seem to be open about their costs (I suppose that would change if I joined Escapees, but I'm not doing that just out of curiosity), but one user mentioned a US$11,000 buy-in in 2012 and about US$1200 per year maintenance fees. Cheap if you use it a lot or it avoids expensive storage fees, but expensive if it only replaces a month of campground fees per year... seems like a good option for many people.
Yeah, more to it than what the casual lurker would know about the Escapee SKP parks. Those that have a site in a park, are members of that non-profit and members see all the financials and have input. And, during the time a member isn't using their site, they can put it into a 'rental' pool. Visiting Escapees can rent the site and the member who owns the site gets the rental fee (or the biggest portion). Not everyone who has a site chooses to join the rental pool. I won't because I'm putting a 'destination' RV on my site because I plan to live there six months out of the year. There again, it's about the fine print and part of the 'contract' one gets when placing a deposit for a site.

Each SKP park sets the fee schedules, independent of others. In one park, where I'm on the list, buy-in is approx.. $13,000. The other flexes depending on the particular site and can be $25,000-$60,000.

Escapees has been around now for over 40 years. I'm not worried in the least about losing my money.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I'm putting a 'destination' RV on my site because I plan to live there six months out of the year.

Is that another name for "mobile" home? As in, it stays put?
Old 03-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
No, it's an RV, not a mobile home or 'tiny home' or park model.

I'm looking at a huge 5th wheel (at least I think it's huge), it has five slides . It will be professionally moved to my site. I certainly wouldn't tow it
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   03.jpg  
Old 03-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #35

I have often wondered about those who travel a lot in their Escape as to which state becomes their "home of record" for various tax entities. Tax avoidance is preferable to tax evasion....
Old 03-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
While Donna plans to use an RV, the type intended for this sort of use is usually called a "park model" trailer - moveable on its own wheels, but not intended to travel, and allowed in parks where a traditional mobile home would not be. Mobile homes typically don't even have wheels, being moved on a dolly.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have often wondered about those who travel a lot in their Escape as to which state becomes their "home of record" for various tax entities. Tax avoidance is preferable to tax evasion....
A lot of full-time Escapees register and use South Dakota as their domicile. There's an entire cottage industry in SD to help them with everything from driver's licenses, voting, mail forwarding, etc.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While Donna plans to use an RV, the type intended for this sort of use is usually called a "park model" trailer - moveable on its own wheels, but not intended to travel, and allowed in parks where a traditional mobile home would not be. Mobile homes typically don't even have wheels, being moved on a dolly.
I'm getting an RV, because it's a requirement of the Escapee park. Even if they are never moved. The park is zoned as an RV park and other types of 'homes' are not allowed. There again, fine print...
Old 03-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #39

Quote:
I'm getting an RV, because it's a requirement of the Escapee park. Even if they are never moved. The park is zoned as an RV park and other types of 'homes' are not allowed. There again, fine print...
Good to know the details for the specific park.

Just a suggestion from someone who has used a large fifth-wheel as a seasonal residence: consider a similarly large conventional travel trailer - it's more difficult to tow (which doesn't matter for this purpose), but it avoids the stairs to the bedroom and bathroom, which can get tedious after a while (especially for anyone with reduced mobility). Of course the fifth-wheels are much more common and therefore more available, and are very commonly used for this purpose.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #40
Site Team

A person looking to purchase a 'destination' RV will spend just as much time looking and planning as we've all spent working our build sheets for an ETI built trailer! BUT, there's far fewer options. My requirement was I wanted a front livingroom.. with recliners! Oh and a fireplace . The dishwasher is an option The thing that absolutely astounds me is people actually buy these trailers for traveling! Laudy. I knew that, but still... I can turn Ten Forward around on a two lane road, this thing takes a football field...
Attached Thumbnails
KEYSTONE_ALPINE_3712KB.jpg