Escape from Asheville! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Escape from Asheville!

Last Monday while in Cape Hatteras I had to decide how to go home. In order to avoid Hurricane Michael I went west, intending to go through Asheville, then into Tennessee and down through Alabama, hoping to avoid the storm.

This didn't work. I stayed Monday night at the East Asheville KOA in Swannanoa, NC. It's a really nice park with the Swannanoa River running through it, so the next day I signed up for two more nights. My campsite was on the river bank.

By Wednesday rain was making the river swell; it made me nervous. The staff told me that if their bridge flooded they would open a gate at the rear of the property so we could exit. By sundown I was concerned enough that I hitched up the trailer and moved it several feet away from the river bank. Then I could leave at a moment's notice.

Thursday at 5:00 a.m. I walked down to the bridge in the dark and saw that water was starting to flow over it. I moved my trailer up a hill on a road that pointed toward the rear of the campground then waited for daylight. By dawn the river was well over the bridge and my old campsite was flooding.

It was time to leave. My remaining obstacle was a small pond that had formed between my trailer and the back gate, which had been opened. But it was still water, not flowing, so I splashed my way through it and the gate, with the theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" playing in my head. I escaped!

So Tropical Storm Michael nearly got me after all, with heavy flooding in western North Carolina. I arrived home this morning and everything is fine here. But the counties to the east of mine were really hard hit from the hurricane, as we all know. This was a bad one.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181010_flooding_campsite_early.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	34527
Attached Thumbnails
20181009_swannanoa_campsite.jpg   20181009_swannanoa_river.jpg   20181011_flooding_campsite.jpg   20181011_flooding_swannanoa_river.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good to hear you had an Escape route.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
What an adventure, Mike. Glad ur home n safe.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Yikes!

We were at Pipestem Resort SP in WVA this last Monday and were planning to head to Asheville on Wednesday when we looked at the weather and decided to head to AL Tuesday and skip NC this time around. Glad to hear you’re OK! Asheville is still on the list though, albeit at a time when seemingly everything is not booked up like October was....we actually ran into some mandatory/voluntary evacuated folks in Cullman AL Tuesday night at the campground...

Pipestem was great though.....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I was at that campground a few years back in April. The water was high b/c of spring rains, I thought then, wow I hate to get caught here in flood situation. It is a very nice park. We scheduled 3 days and stayed for 5. Asheville has a lot of things to see. Glad you are OK.
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My original plan was to spend one night at the Asheville East KOA then go on to the Townsend, TN KOA, where the spring Eggscursion is held. But the Asheville campground was so nice that I decided to stay two more nights there instead, hoping I'd be far enough west to escape the effects of Michael (it feels weird to type that). That didn't work, but it doesn't matter-- I'm sure the Townsend location got a lot of rain as well, because it rained heavily on me while driving Thursday morning until I approached Knoxville.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I call Asheville home. I left Thursday morning to head to Fries, VA (near Galax). Figured I’d drive North, then East (instead of East then North) to avoid the worst of the storm. Well, the storm was just too big. Pretty intense rain driving, but I did okay. Got to the campground and it was temporarily inaccessible due to a river coming out of the campground. Eventually got in. But, the Escape 19 towed with my Highlander with the Anderson anti sway and wdh did fine, felt solid as a rock! My neighbor here with a 28’ Airstream towed by a Tahoe complained of a lot of sway. I love my combination!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
We were in the same area in 2016 during Mathew. We departed the beaches of South Carolina two days before it hit and hunkered down in Asheville. Actually just down the road from your KOA at Mamma Gerties CG in Swananona. A very picturesque location with that similar large stream flowing through it. We watched the waters rise as well but did not have to deal with a bridge to exit.

Very nice area when it is not raining.

I think we choose that campground on the recommendation of kstock, the above poster.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote