Florida Panhandle Camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Florida Panhandle Camping

My wife and I spent a month in April at the panhandle to escape the Canadian winter. I always wondered about North Florida growing up as we passed through to go to South Florida. The swamp forest with it alligators and springs was different than the flat desert like south. We stayed in state and national forest inland and state parks on the coast for a couple days. Black Water State Forest had three campgrounds, all with lakes. Hurricane and Bear were for fishing and the other for swimming. You can probably figure out why the fishing lakes are not swimming lakes. My favorite was Hickory Landing in Apalachicola National Forest. The campsite was next to the quiet creek. it had vault toilets but one could use the showers at the next campground. This was all for $3. a day. The beach state forests (St George and St Joseph) were nice and close to the beach but busy and costly. We could only get in at the time for one night each without reservations. We stayed at Falling Waters, Florida Caverns and Suwannee River State Parks. They had good services, interesting geography but were a bit busy and costly for me. The last place in Florida was Ocean Pond in Osceola National Forest. It had three different areas to camp. One water and electric, the second water and the third rustic. The rustic was the most natural and the least busy. All round the area has a wide range of camping experiences with costs to match.
galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Florida Panhandle Camping

Hi:galand53...Sounds like you found a few nice places to store your trailer for the winter. It's no big secret down there... "Never take a log beside a lake for granted"
I couldn't "Panhandle" if I tried either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Re: Florida Panhandle Camping

They are careful in these parks to warn guests about swimming in infested waters but i only saw eyes above the water line and heard slap in the swamp once. Gators are not aggressive but defensive on land. In other words, don't worry about them unless they feel trapped on land. In the water is a different matter. Unless the authorities state the water is safe to swim, stay out especially if it is murky. Are you ready to go, Alf.
galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote