Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC

Last week we stayed at Haynes Point Provincial Park near Osoyoos, BC. It is a great place, and we have been there before. This time we arrived in September when it was not possible to make reservations. What we found:
1. the campsite was completely full when we arrived about 4:00 PM, however there was "overflow" available -- parking on the entrance road in hopes of getting a camping spot when one became available
2. in the morning there was a frantic rush to find sites, while some people who had sites were busy buying extra days -- we did not get a site, instead camped beside the road for two days while paying as if we had a regular site
3. it was not a very orderly nor pleasant experience for us, however on the morning we were planning to leave a kind camper told us he was leaving the next day and offered us his site -- alas, too late for us!

I wonder if it might be possible to keep the reservation system going later than September 2? In Washington and Oregon it is possible to reserve many sites year round. This makes camping a bit more predictable.

Nevertheless we had an enjoyable camping experience. More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_v...144201/detail/
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP5693sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC

I've been to this park several times over the years. Spring, summer and fall.You must get a res for the summer months in advance as it is very popular. I always keep a 26er of Canadian Rye under the front seat. The operators preferred brand.
And I never have to wait more than one night to get a spot.
It's not what you know... but what you bring with you that counts.
Of course it's all hush hush....
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

we stayed at the Gallagher Lake campground last Thursday night--our fave OK Falls was full--we thought the next day we should have tried Haynes Point---glad we didn't bother..
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'd rather sleep in a ditch than stay at Gallagher Lake campground. Drove through it, but didn't stop ( it's not a place for dog owners ). What did you think of it?

baglo
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

I wrote to BC Parks and received this reply:

Thank you for writing.

By copy of this response, I have forwarded your suggestion to extend the reservation dates for this park to the Marketing Section Manager, BC Parks Visitor Services Branch and to program staff with Discover Camping for their information and consideration.

I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your experience. Comments and suggestions from our park visitors help us to determine where improvements can be made from year to year.

If any of you would like to voice your opinion on the subject you can write to BC Parks here: ParkInfo@Victoria1.gov.bc.ca

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Years ago most BC Park Campgrounds had no reservations, and if full you had to go and arrange with someone leaving to get their spot. A real pain in the ass way to do things. It was also bothersome to the people camping. In one occasion, we had told a nice family they could have our spot, and even before we left someone else was piling their gear onto the site to claim it. I think all campgrounds should take reservations for around 75% of their sites.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I prefer what Washington State, some forest service campgrounds & other states here in the US do - Most sites are reservable, but they keep a few first come, first served for people like me who don't know when they are going to be where. The thoughts of planning every stop on a 3 or 4 month trip would drive me crazy.

Some of the campgrounds only let the first come, first served users stay one night in that location, others allow up to 2 weeks, in which case open sites may be hard to find...
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

When we camped at an Oregon State park in early October a couple years ago, we had no reservation and we were placed in loop B, along with three other campers. All those who made reservations were placed in Loop A, cheek by jowl.

baglo
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Glen--there was only a van a few away from us--someone in a camping cabin and us right beside the lake...
Doug wasn't crazy about it because of the large rock that would block too much of the sun--but it was a place to stop--visit with a friend from Oliver--and now I know what it looks like--
Yeah no dogs in the loop by the lake so she couldn't bring her dog to visit..

I would have stayed there again cause I thought the lake would be good for
swimming...But it is all just gravel and paved roads...

Apparently they have had a few trees come down with not good results...