Maximum RV Length at Campgrounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Maximum RV Length at Campgrounds

I could have sworn I read about this somewhere, but heck if I can find it now...so sorry if that is the case.

I have been visiting state/provincial/national park websites and I'm now confused. Quit laughing. I actually JUST became confused. This time. Well, I never used to be confused because with our Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Casita...who cares what the max length was because we never reached it.

Does anyone know if all the parks measure length the same way, and if so, what is is the way? Just the trailer? The trailer and truck? Just the truck? Not really. I know better than that.

As always, Thank you!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know about all the other places, but the Oregon State Park system just gives the length of the parking area... which is usually asphalt. They don't care what your tug/tow is. You just have to fit in the space designated.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Donna! Is it your experience that the sites are wide enough to park your truck next to the trailer with no issue?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No, no parking next to one another. More like a long driveway. This is my site for Fall NOG coming up in October. Pretty typical for Oregon State Parks.
Attached Thumbnails
FallNOG.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Definitely not so with CA SP's. Seems odd at first, yet thinking back it does seem the Oregon campgrounds we've been in are as Donna describes. Of course private campgrounds, like Crystal Crane (pretty cool place with hot-lake, well big pond) outside Burns (FBI is gone I think) and even County Parks- some of our favorites anywhere can be different.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Donna the image won't load . .? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Seems to be problems on the site with loading images.
Donna gave up and went to bed.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 15A
BC Provincial Parks vary greatly as to the parking area size and configuration. Some require the tug and trailer to be parked in a straight line but it seems most have room to configure the tug and trailer in various ways to suite your needs. Most are generally configured to accept tents, trailers and other RV types. One site suits all??

BC Parks reservation system now have pictures and dimensions on their web site for each camp site in most of the Parks. There are a small number of select Parks that have some electrical hook ups. These are parks that are relatively close to existing electrical distribution service lines.

I would guess that all of the BC Provincial Parks do not have paved camp sites. The roads in the parks are for the most part paved, but not all. Some parks have a few paved camp sites for persons with disabilities.

We do most of our camping in Provincial or National Parks in BC and Alberta. Many of the Parks are located in some very prime locations taking advantage of the many lakes, rivers, ocean, prairies and mountains. The views are often spectacular if it were not for the fact that the tress and mountains tend to get in the way of enjoying the view!!! That's when is time to go for a great hike or mountain bike ride to see what's over the next rise.

With our 15A we have never had to be concerned about getting our trailer into any camp sites! Our old family tent with the awning up was longer than our trailer!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 15A
Camping plus hiking, mountain bike riding, fishing - what it's all about.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1489r.JPG   P1020414r.JPG   P9051271r.JPG   IMG_0357r.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No, the parks are not all the same. From traveling the country it seems state parks measurements are for the camper only, if it says 30', you could fit your 30' trailer on it. I've yet to run into one where the truck wouldn't't fit also, one way or another. National parks measurements are for the camper and TV combo, although I've seen many folks ignore it and d just fine. Guess if there was a problem they might throw the rules at you. Many places have small parking lots for the TV or extra cars when needed.

I try and look at them with Google map to see how wide or long they look when making reservations, tree cover gets in the way sometimes. With the national parks I reserved the longest I could get. Some were a little shorter then my combo but I had no real issues.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What are your procedures in determining when to unhook, time or space?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I recall having problems last year reserving a spot at Mt. Rainier via the website the park uses. It gave a place to enter the length of my trailer, but then it tried to put me in a campsite that wasn't long enough, ignoring what I had entered. I had to call their reservation system to clarify.

The Chisos Basin campground in Big Bend NP "suggests" trailers 20 feet long or less, but the park people didn't object when I put my Escape 21 there. The length restriction is for the twisty mountain road leading to the campground. Forty-foot tour buses somehow made it past that hairpin turn to visit Chisos Basin while I was there.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I made reservations for Yosemite this summer---it is like speed-dating at 7am in the morning, but my date is my computer. All the sites seem to be available and with a click to reserve---the site has been taken by someone else. I found an available site and to my dismay our 19' was too long. Go figure.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
I made reservations for Yosemite this summer---it is like speed-dating at 7am in the morning, but my date is my computer. All the sites seem to be available and with a click to reserve---the site has been taken by someone else. I found an available site and to my dismay our 19' was too long. Go figure.
Hi: P&L... Yellowstone's Madison CG. was the only place where size mattered. All of your rig had to fit off the road. All sites were curved/paved pads so the 5.0TA and truck fit perfectly. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What are your procedures in determining when to unhook, time or space?
If you mean me, I always unhook as the trailer sits fairly high in the front when hooked up. The only times I haven't was at Wally Worlds.

Once you get used to it it only takes 5 minutes or so to connect or disconnect, at least it does with the 2 of us. The big pinbox level helps.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So you are not towing level or does tow level mean the loft is not level. Like at a truck stop, is the bed level?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have found a lot of inconsistencies between state parks and the size of their campsites . The problem is when making reservations at a state park they ask for the length of your trailer but they do not ask for the length of your tow vehicle. Some state parks make allowances for the tow vehicle but some don't . We reserved a 20 ft trailer site in a Southern state assuming they were like Wisconsin and made allowances for the tow vehicle WRONG ! The site was exactly 20 ft long and we had to park our vehicle with our gear in a parking lot 4 blocks away from our site.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So you are not towing level or does tow level mean the loft is not level. Like at a truck stop, is the bed level?
When we picked up our trailer on the initial hook up at the shop we were nose high and I was bummed. I think it was Tammy’s father who raised our pin box one hole and we were nicely level and I was happy.

We stay hitched most of the time. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
If I am not going to unhook and nose-high I put blocks under the trailer wheels. If nose-low I put blocks under the truck rear wheels.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was making a reservation yesterday and couldn't make the reserve America come up right so I called the park and got the park manager, not only did I resolve the issue, I also got a report on shed antler hunting. We have gone to making sure we record the good campsites we stay in, we also peruse the whole camp and write down other better sites. In Iowa, they have the total overall length of the pad recorded so there's no question, even the pull throughs.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote