Mills rim and canyon campground - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mills rim and canyon campground

In northeastern New Mexico on the Kiowa national grassland there are two campgrounds. I know I can get to the rim campground. I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has gone down into the canyon campground pulling a trailer. I know , I know you are not supposed to go down with a trailer, I’m just wondering if someone has done it? The canyon campground has just been expanded and upgraded.
Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
In northeastern New Mexico on the Kiowa national grassland there are two campgrounds. I know I can get to the rim campground. I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has gone down into the canyon campground pulling a trailer. I know , I know you are not supposed to go down with a trailer, I’m just wondering if someone has done it? The canyon campground has just been expanded and upgraded.
Steve
Hello Steve.
I have never been to this specific campground but I've been to dozens much like it. I read the access description on the USFS website.
Access to sites like this are very much dependent on the most recent weather events. A heavy rain today may well create a washout that will last for months. The FS has an increasingly limited budget. Maintaining access to a seldom used site is a low priority. What someone experienced last week is irrelevant to the conditions you may experience.
If I wanted to go there, I would drive to the upper campground where the access description indicates good access for trailers.
I would then unhitch and drive the truck down to the other camping area then make my decision about towing based on the conditions I found.

In parts of the West you will see similar cautions about driving on red clay roads after storms. Ditto with bentonite clay. The cautions are best heeded. Tow bills can run well into the hundreds.

My guiding rule about driving off-road is if in doubt, GOAL.

Get Out And Look.

Enjoy NM. It's a wonderful state.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mills canyon

El Colorado,
Good idea. And thanks for commenting.
Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
El Colorado,
Good idea. And thanks for commenting.
Steve
You’re welcome.
Forgot to add that you should check the weather forecast for the duration of your planned stay so as to avoid storms.

I’m sure that You will enjoy these out-of-the-way places. They were always our favorites.

Sure beats the neighborhood KOA. At least to us.

Ed
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Haven’t been there so take this for what it’s worth. If you haven’t done so already you can study the route on Google Earth. There are even several “street views” that users added. It has a few sharp switchbacks but looks doable with a modest size trailer with reasonable ground clearance. I suppose the google images could be dated so I would definitely drive it first without the trailer and watch the weather as was already suggested.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #6

Talking

In the more rural parts of New Mexico, the visitor facilities can be rather basic as we found out some time ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	36910
Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
In the more rural parts of New Mexico, the visitor facilities can be rather basic as we found out some time ago.

Attachment 36910

LOL! Make sure your tanks are empty when staying at Hachita. We will give it a go next time we're headed that way.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

Attachment 36910
Not sure I could really go for that...
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote