My friends trailer was stolen - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
An iPod touch, connected to 12v power constantly so the battery doesn't run down, hidden and with location services turned on. You wouldn't get notifications if it moved, but with the Find my iPhone app you could track it if it "disappeared." And it would work better than dripping paint!
Brilliant idea!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
An iPod touch, connected to 12v power constantly so the battery doesn't run down, hidden and with location services turned on. You wouldn't get notifications if it moved, but with the Find my iPhone app you could track it if it "disappeared." And it would work better than dripping paint!
See!!!! I knew there were smarter people then me
Old 04-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... I wonder how long it will be until your hospital pass is revoked?

Thanks, I got a great laugh outta that.
Never went back for a refill.....
Old 04-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
We all know there is no absolute in regards to trailer theft prevention. But we do what we can with boots, hitch locks, locked storage facilities etc. I wonder if there were any protective measures taken in this instance ....or just another crime of opportunity?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I don't think I am going to become an Apple fanboy just to do this, but I know you can track Android phones the same way, and can us a "Find me" type app. Have to look at that.

I dunno, that paint trick sounds like a good 'n easy solution to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Never went back for a refill.....
A crazy refill, or a sane one?

I bet you here this kinda stuff lots. Heck, when we were kids in Olds, our bad taste jokes included saying someone belonged in the Ponoka Funny Farm.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
We all know there is no absolute in regards to trailer theft prevention. But we do what we can with boots, hitch locks, locked storage facilities etc.
Having a good supply of tools that could make quick work of those devices I still use a couple of hitch locks but don't really depend on them. I view them as a visual deterrent that a lazy thief might take a pass on. Mess with my trailer and folks a long way away will know about it. The sound is deafening.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Is there any type of tracker that is a reasonable cost, and does not require a monthly fee?
I don't think so, because it needs some way to communicate with the owner (usually but not necessarily via a third-party service), and that means a network account (usually mobile "phone" network, but can be satellite). If someone has a mobile plan with a shared pool of data and no charge per device (which seems unlikely), then a smartphone on that plan could be used; I can't imagine anyone giving away satellite communications services.

If you are willing to settle for protection only when the trailer is within range of your WiFi network, then there is no additional monthly cost for a device on the trailer. I don't know how useful that is, but for security of a trailer parked beside you house it could work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think so, because it needs some way to communicate with the owner (usually but not necessarily via a third-party service), and that means a network account (usually mobile "phone" network, but can be satellite). If someone has a mobile plan with a shared pool of data and no charge per device (which seems unlikely), then a smartphone on that plan could be used; I can't imagine anyone giving away satellite communications services.

If you are willing to settle for protection only when the trailer is within range of your WiFi network, then there is no additional monthly cost for a device on the trailer. I don't know how useful that is, but for security of a trailer parked beside you house it could work.
I kinda suspected that, but was just being hopeful

Any Android (or I imagine Apple) would have to be registered on the network too, would it not? There would be a cost for that.

I wonder if insurance rates could be dropped if someone had a subscribed service. $10 a month is not a lot, but I just lately added up all the monthly subscriptions we have for various services, other than those to operate our house, and WOW does it add up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Any Android (or I imagine Apple) would have to be registered on the network too, would it not? There would be a cost for that.
Yes, whether it is basic phone, smartphone (Android, iOS, whatever), mobile hotspot, or special-purpose device, to be recognized on a mobile or satellite network it needs to be registered and the service provider normally charges for that even if no voice service or data traffic is provided. I use Telus Mobility, and can share my data among as many devices as I want... but it's $10/month each to get them on the network. You can actually get a separate plan from Telus for a single device for the same $10/month with some data (way more than needed for a tracking device), but it's a "first 24 months" deal.

On your own WiFi network there's no cost; I just don't find that a very useful configuration for my purposes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:

Take a look at this
Vehicle Recovery | Anti Theft Device | Anti Theft System
I have one but haven't installed it yet.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

...(or I imagine Apple) would have to be registered on the network too, would it not? There would be a cost for that....
Nope. Once you have a free Apple ID, any of your Macs, iPhones, iPad, etc are all registered to your account and there is no associated monthly charge. Find My Phone can find any of your registered devices...thus Carl's brilliance!

Nice try though (not an Apple Fanboy Bennett)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Yes, whether it is basic phone, smartphone (Android, iOS, whatever), mobile hotspot, or special-purpose device, to be recognized on a mobile or satellite network it needs to be registered and the service provider normally charges for that even if no voice service or data traffic is provided. I use Telus Mobility, and can share my data among as many devices as I want... but it's $10/month each to get them on the network. You can actually get a separate plan from Telus for a single device for the same $10/month with some data (way more than needed for a tracking device), but it's a "first 24 months" deal.

On your own WiFi network there's no cost; I just don't find that a very useful configuration for my purposes.
I too use Telus. At $10/month it is not too bad of a cost. I don't have a spare device that works right now, just gave the last one away thinking I did not need it. Worth a thought though.

I am planning on having my own WiFi network in the trailer, but that won't do me much good if it is out of range.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Actually later Apple devices (iPhone 6 and later) have a separate processor just for location services. And earlier devices including the iPod solution suggested C&G in Fl. all have a separate GPS chip independent of cell service. With location services turned on and both cell and WiFi turned off, they will show up on the "Find my Phone" app if the have a clear signal from a GPS satellite.

Cell service makes location services more accurate due to cell tower trianglation but the GPS will work without it.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Android phones work the same way. I use Lookout Security which operates similarly as Find my iPhone for Android. When you no longer have a service contract on an old phone, the GPS still functions and Lookout security will still locate the phone. So as long as the retired phone is powered and hidden in the trailer you could locate it for no cost.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Android phones work the same way. I use Lookout Security which operates similarly as Find my iPhone for Android. When you no longer have a service contract on an old phone, the GPS still functions and Lookout security will still locate the phone. So as long as the retired phone is powered and hidden in the trailer you could locate it for no cost.
Good to know. I will look into that.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #36

Quote:

I bet you here this kinda stuff lots. Heck, when we were kids in Olds, our bad taste jokes included saying someone belonged in the Ponoka Funny Farm.
They took the farm part away from the hospital years ago, which is too bad.
Luckily I live on a farm in Ponoka county and have fun.
Feeling right at home here!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
They took the farm part away from the hospital years ago, which is too bad.
Luckily I live on a farm in Ponoka county and have fun.
Feeling right at home here!
So then, all the patients got moved to your place.....nice !
Old 04-08-2017, 03:58 AM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Here is her info
If any of my FB friends have suggestions, please chime in. My trailer was stolen from Heritage Park in Chilliwack, B.C. on Wednesday April 5. A couple in their 40s came in with a rented UHaul white panel van, hooked it up and drove off at 1:30 p.m. The woman had pink hair with red spots and lots of tattoos. They seemed to be under the impression that they had purchased it because about 3:00 p.m. they went to the tourist center at the front of Heritage Park complaining of not having keys to a trailer they had just purchased. If they returned on such short notice without my trailer they must have put it someplace local. Also how anyone could think my trailer was "for sale" is beyond me so their story might just be a brazen ruse. But surely the UHaul company where they rented the van would remember a woman with pink hair with red spots and lots of tattoos. The constable wasn't giving me much hope even with all this information; what do you think my next steps should be?
2014 19-foot Jayco Swift with Washington license plate that expires April 12. Contact RCMP (604) 792-4611 Police File 2017-13098.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #39

Man, that really sucks for your friend, Kate. I bet they knew full well they stole it, and were just saying they bought it without keys to hide this fact. Regardless, they sure did a bunch of things that were not too bright, and I would think given her description it would narrow down suspects a lot.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #40

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Knowing the license plate number would really help. They might be stupid enough to leave them on - who knows. There's a lot of Jayco trailers out there.

I would also personally start calling the U-Haul places, even though they wouldn't give her the information. She could at least tell them these folks stole my trailer and to please contact the police if they did rent from them. I would have started doing this as soon as this information was known.

With this much time passing, it'll be harder for the rental places to remember these people. Yeah, tats and red spotted hair would stand out, but, hey, you don't know how long memories will last for people that see lots and lots of folks pass through.

Good luck to her!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote