My friends trailer was stolen - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #41

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Boot clamp security

While it takes a bit to put on, I'm getting a bit better (knock on wood) at taking it on and off the trailer wheel. I've used it both at home and while camping. I plan to continue using it, regardless of how much time it takes to install and remove.

I remember when I first posted about this boot clamp, someone made the comment that she had never heard of a trailer getting stolen out of a campground (and made it sound like I was being overly paranoid). And I'm thinking that it's probably happened before and will continue doing so.

This thread reinforces in my mind that I need to continue installing my boot clamp. I got it from the Purple Line folks. It wasn't cheap, but we feel it was well worth getting and using it.

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04986.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"Mount the unit with logo pointed toward the sky. It can be mounted beneath fiberglass, fabric, or glass, but metal obstructions should be avoided."

I wonder if the Reflectix would cause issues with the signal?

A review:
I'm going to get one for my trailer and give it a try. If it doesn't work out I will use it for my boat. My friend has one on his sailboat and it gives him a daily message saying the system is working OK and also a link to a map showing the location with GPS coordinates. I'll let you know if it works in the trailer.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Locks work well and give most people a desired level of security.
I for one have a simple hitch lock and good insurance and find that adequate for me but I respect that others require a greater level of security
The issue with any lock is that as well as locking securely they also require that at a point in time you have the ability to remove the lock.
I was in one campgrounds where vandals put super glue in people's trailer locks . Unfortunately when they wanted to leave they could not unlock their trailer locks. They spent hours attempting to remove their multiple locking devices , often in very uncomfortable positions. I am not saying this is common but I have experienced it.
I had my garage broken into and several thousands of dollars worth of items stolen . The police recovered some of the items but they were damaged to the point of being rendered useless.
THANK GOD FOR INSURANCE.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
THANK GOD FOR INSURANCE.
Don't disagree with that but the major difference between theft at home and in the middle of a major road trip is huge. Having the trailer stolen thousands of miles from home may be covered by insurance but the situation would be a disaster for most people.

I'm a great fan of surprise very loud alarms. If I can get the thief to think running for the hills is his best option, then I'm all for it. I especially like it when we're boon docking and there isn't anyone in close proximity.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't disagree with that but the major difference between theft at home and in the middle of a major road trip is huge. Having the trailer stolen thousands of miles from home may be covered by insurance but the situation would be a disaster for most people.

I'm a great fan of surprise very loud alarms. If I can get the thief to think running for the hills is his best option, then I'm all for it. I especially like it when we're boon docking and there isn't anyone in close proximity.

Ron
Ron, were you worried while camping in Mexico? How about leaving your trailer to do various excursions and being away for hours?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Actually later Apple devices (iPhone 6 and later) have a separate processor just for location services. And earlier devices including the iPod solution suggested C&G in Fl. all have a separate GPS chip independent of cell service. With location services turned on and both cell and WiFi turned off, they will show up on the "Find my Phone" app if the have a clear signal from a GPS satellite.
While it's true that stupid phone devices (of all brands) have traditionally needed a network for assistance determining location, this isn't the core problem. The mobile network (or a WiFi connection) is needed for the "Find my Phone" (or any other) app to communicate with the rest of the world. It doesn't matter that the phone knows where it is, if it can't talk to you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
Take a look at this
Vehicle Recovery | Anti Theft Device | Anti Theft System
I have one but haven't installed it yet.

Chuck
The description says that one uses a 3G mobile network, specifically of the GSM type. That's okay, but it will still only work where there's mobile network service; in Canada, that would likely be only where this is Rogers service. On the other hand, the specs say GSM or CDMA, which would cover more network providers. Even then, it will only work if the service provider has contracted with a mobile network in the area. It would be marginal at my house, and useless in many camping areas that I might visit. This is the reality of most tracking systems.

The subscription combines the mobile network and RMT's tracking and notification service. Since the device only talks to RMT, it only works if a subscription is purchased from them, but the price and terms look reasonable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Ron, were you worried while camping in Mexico? How about leaving your trailer to do various excursions and being away for hours?

Thanks,
Tom
I never set the alarm once in Baja. At the beach the people you have happy hour with know you've gone off to town or where ever. And when you stop at RV places the people around you are usually pretty similar folks, stopping for the night on the way to somewhere.

It's unlike going to some US places like county parks where they've become de facto mobile home parks. Sometimes in that situation, when I see some of the local residents, I do use the alarm.

I don't want to seem like a rah-rah boy for Baja. There was a theft while we were there. Not at the beach by up beside the highway where some tourists pulled off and went for a walk. They left a packsack with cameras, a purse and a tablet on the front seat.

I wouldn't do that in my own driveway so I'm not especially blaming Mexicans for that one.

Ron
Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While it's true that stupid phone devices (of all brands) have traditionally needed a network for assistance determining location, this isn't the core problem. The mobile network (or a WiFi connection) is needed for the "Find my Phone" (or any other) app to communicate with the rest of the world. It doesn't matter that the phone knows where it is, if it can't talk to you.
Not quite true. (At least with the later versions of iPhones) The phone running the app looking for the other phone needs to be connected to a network. The app also needs to be open and has to acquire the location of the other device while that device is connected to a network. But then once it has acquired the target phones GPS it will track it when it is disconnected from the network.

If my wife's phone is in "Airplane Mode" with no WiFi or cell data turned on, I can still see her phone with my phone and track it as it moves as long as I aguirre its location before it went off line. Her phone only needs to be powered on. I just field tested it a few moments ago. I was able to track her phone while she walked the dog and it was in Airplane mode.

So the trick is to acquire the target device and stay connected to it before the trailer is stolen! Granted, not really a reliable senerio.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #50

Trailer: pondering.....
was pondering this event and the misfortune of the trailer owner when leaving her trailer unattended...while it would not stop a trailer from being stolen, wondering if perhaps something nearby (tree or pet rock) would allow one of those game cameras to be mounted and viewing the trailer, such that it might document the event if it happened....assuming of course you can't put the local security, like flying squirrels with an attitude on the payroll.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #51

Maybe it's just me , but I am more concerned about vandalism then theft. We had a hunting trailer that was parked and unlocked sitting on our hunting land . The trailer was never stolen but it was vandalized on two occasions . Things were stolen from the trailer but insurance replaced those items but the damage inflicted to the trailer took weeks to repair.
In one instance they spray painted graffiti on the exterior and interior of the trailer , broke the cupboard doors off , and busted up the trailer. It would cost more to repair the damage then what the trailer was worth so the insurance company totaled it.
Locks and GPS tracking is of no help against kids with too much time on their hands.
I am NOT saying locks and GPS are a waste of time only that there are other dangers beyond theft.
It is almost impossible to guard your trailer 24 /7 !
Old 04-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Maybe it's just me , but I am more concerned about vandalism then theft. e trailer was worth so the insurance company totaled it.

I am NOT saying locks and GPS are a waste of time only that there are other dangers beyond theft.
It is almost impossible to guard your trailer 24 /7 !
I agree. I'm a fan of loud alarms. The Escape door lock is a token device. Anyone with screwdriver can pry it open or simply unscrew the door hinges. I had a break-in in the first place I had. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. Hated the feeling. So if I have a chance of stopping a punk at the door before they can go in and rip things apart looking for valuables, I'll take it.

In the many years my house has been alarmed I only had one accidental alarm. I got to see what happens when the fire alarm bell on the side of your house goes off. The first thing is, when you're inside and the walls vibrating in tune to the horrible noise, you just want the noise to stop. I doubt any thief would hang around. The second thing that happens is neighbors from up to a block away come by to see what's happening.

So for me, it's the full package, alarm, coupler locks and hope for the best.

Ron
Old 04-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree. I'm a fan of loud alarms. The Escape door lock is a token device. Anyone with screwdriver can pry it open or simply unscrew the door hinges. I had a break-in in the first place I had. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. Hated the feeling. So if I have a chance of stopping a punk at the door before they can go in and rip things apart looking for valuables, I'll take it.

In the many years my house has been alarmed I only had one accidental alarm. I got to see what happens when the fire alarm bell on the side of your house goes off. The first thing is, when you're inside and the walls vibrating in tune to the horrible noise, you just want the noise to stop. I doubt any thief would hang around. The second thing that happens is neighbors from up to a block away come by to see what's happening.

So for me, it's the full package, alarm, coupler locks and hope for the best.

Ron
The, problem with our hunting trailer is that even if it had a loud alarm horn , no one would be around to hear it except the vandals .
That said ,a really loud horn and good neighbors would be a real asset and is a good idea . IMHO.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #54

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
What alarm did you get?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #55

Made my own. I've being doing that for a long time, before house alarms became mainstream. First one was made from Radio Shack plans. Next door neighbor was going to build one also but then thought it wasn't worth having. Ironically, within 10 years he founded one of the largest alarm companies in the area.

Made one with a proximity sensor for my little open car. I've gotten a few laughs watching from a window at Timmie's as people discover they really shouldn't ignore the first warning beep.

Ron
Old 04-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #56

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Update on Spot Trace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"Mount the unit with logo pointed toward the sky. It can be mounted beneath fiberglass, fabric, or glass, but metal obstructions should be avoided."

I wonder if the Reflectix would cause issues with the signal?

A review:
I got my Spot Trace yesterday and activated it and tested this morning. I left it in the trailer for a while and then went in and moved it from the bed over to the dinette. Here is the message I received:

Device:hugh1
Latitude:51.04735
Longitude:-114.13782
Date/Time:04/14/2017 10:15:13 MDT

Click the link below to see where the asset is located.
http://fms.ws/hJTTW/51.04735N/114.13782W

If the above link does not work, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=51.04735,-114.13782&ll=51.04735,-114.13782&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

You have received this message because you have been registered to receive SPOT Trace messages.

Ready for Adventure
FindMeSPOT.com

If you click on the link it shows a google map of the location. If it continues to move it tracks it every 2 1/2 minutes.

So I can confirm it works inside the trailer. I will be getting one of these for my boat as well.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I got my Spot Trace yesterday and activated it and tested this morning. I left it in the trailer for a while and then went in and moved it from the bed over to the dinette. Here is the message I received:

Device:hugh1
Latitude:51.04735
Longitude:-114.13782
Date/Time:04/14/2017 10:15:13 MDT

Click the link below to see where the asset is located.
http://fms.ws/hJTTW/51.04735N/114.13782W

If the above link does not work, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=51.04735,-114.13782&ll=51.04735,-114.13782&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

You have received this message because you have been registered to receive SPOT Trace messages.

Ready for Adventure
FindMeSPOT.com

If you click on the link it shows a google map of the location. If it continues to move it tracks it every 2 1/2 minutes.

So I can confirm it works inside the trailer. I will be getting one of these for my boat as well.
Hi: hughharden... Might even work on the wife too!!! LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #58

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought the spot trace i like that it uses satellite so works most places looked at some cheaper ones but the subscription price was much higher 100 a year is doable. wonder if i get a break in my insurance for having it?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #59

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
In the local news recently, a guy in Florida had his motorcycle stolen. The bike had a hidden tracking device. Led law enforcement to a sizable motorcycle theft ring/chop shop in South Alabama. Busted!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #60

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Lots of good information on protecting the trailer and I have done a couple of these since reading this post. What about better protection for you while you are inside sleeping? Is there a better lock for the door? Any other ideas?
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote