Myakka River State Park Fla - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Myakka River State Park Fla

We just spent 4 days at Myakka. (Two other Escape 21's were there at the same time).

Myakka is a neat place. Lots of wildlife and fishing opportunity. Gators are plentiful. Boat ride and tram is good. Skywalk is interesting. Good place for bikes. Tends to be a bit humid compared to closer to the coast.

We were at Dry Prarie campground. It is older and pretty decent. Gravel and dirt driveway so kind of dusty. Shower house had a common dressing area that was a bummer.

Later I discovered Palmetto Ridge campground across the road. It may be the nicest campground I've ever seen. Huge gravel sites, wide paved roads with pedestrian bike markings, beautifull shower houses, some pull through sites and at least some sewer hook ups. It is sites 49-90. Dry Prarie is twenty something thru 48. I assume reservations for Palmetto fill early. It must be very new. If I go back I will try to get into Palmetto.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
We were at Dry Prarie campground. It is older and pretty decent. Gravel and dirt driveway so kind of dusty. Shower house had a common dressing area that was a bummer.

Later I discovered Palmetto Ridge campground across the road. It may be the nicest campground I've ever seen. Huge gravel sites, wide paved roads with pedestrian bike markings, beautifull shower houses, some pull through sites and at least some sewer hook ups. It is sites 49-90. Dry Prarie is twenty something thru 48.
That's quite a contrast between the campgrounds... but perhaps not unusual for a state/provincial/federal park. It's amusing from my northern perspective to see that every site has 50-amp power, but people do want to run their air conditioners!

From the Google Maps satellite photo, it looks like Palmetto Ridge has much sparser and fewer trees - you can see it well, but can barely see anything of the Dry Prairie campground.

From Florida State Parks page for Myakka River - Camping:
Quote:
The park features three campgrounds with 90 campsites. Each site is equipped with 50 amp electrical service, water, a fire ring and picnic table. The sites in Palmetto Ridge also have sewer hook ups. A dump station is located near Old Prairie Campground. Laundry facilities are available to all campers in Old Prairie and Palmetto Ridge Campgrounds. All campsites are located within 40 yards of restroom facilities with hot showers. Sites in Old Prairie and Big Flats are dirt based. The sites in Palmetto Ridge are gravel-based, except for four ADA paved sites adjoining rest rooms. Old Prairie and Big Flats do not have vegetation buffers. The Big Flats Campground is located near the Upper Myakka Lake where tours are available on the world’s largest airboats. Myakka Outpost, a fishing deck and WiFi are also nearby. Old Prairie and Palmetto Ridge Campgrounds are located near the S.R. 72 park entrance, the Myakka River, the Campfire Circle, a small playground, and Myakka Friends Gallery & Gifts. Well behaved pets are welcome in these three campgrounds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote