Nellie E's Saloon, near Parker, AZ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Nellie E's Saloon, near Parker, AZ

We'd been hearing about this mythical bar in the Arizona desert for awhile. On a recent trip to Parker, AZ, it came up again and we decided to check it out. WOW! It's a must see but be prepared. The drive begins 6 miles or so north of Parker, AZ on US 95, turn off on Cienega Springs Rd and be prepared for a 5 mile drive on a rutted desert road littered with car parts and past a shooting range! The place is only open on weekends from noon to 6pm. When we headed over, we got into a conga line of about 50 cars with the same idea we had to get there when it opened.

We saw a couple rental cars and family trucksters but I sure as he*l wouldn't do it with anything less than a well maintained high clearance truck or SUV. 4x4 isn't necessary, the road is ok but rutted.

After resisting the temptation of turning around several times, we were rewarded with a view of a deserted mine that has turned into a true oasis! 3 bands, 4 different food vendors, horseshoes, plenty of "refreshments" (everybody was under control, it's not THAT kind of place), pool tables, and seating for a couple hundred. All this with no utility hookups, all solar and well water!

The food is great. Next time tho, we're scaring up 5 or 6 others to share that nacho's (desert poutine, folks). It's served in an aluminum roasting pan, looks awesome, and there's enough for a herd. I'm guessing it weighs 7 or 8 pounds!

I'll let the pictures describe it better than I can:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3198.jpg   IMG_3226.jpg   IMG_3211.jpg   IMG_3209.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Cool report Greggo. Looks like a Quartzsite gathering day trip next Feb.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
We'd been hearing about this mythical bar in the Arizona desert for awhile. On a recent trip to Parker, AZ, it came up again and we decided to check it out. WOW! It's a must see but be prepared. The drive begins 6 miles or so north of Parker, AZ on US 95, turn off on Cienega Springs Rd and be prepared for a 5 mile drive on a rutted desert road littered with car parts and past a shooting range! The place is only open on weekends from noon to 6pm. When we headed over, we got into a conga line of about 50 cars with the same idea we had to get there when it opened.

We saw a couple rental cars and family trucksters but I sure as he*l wouldn't do it with anything less than a well maintained high clearance truck or SUV. 4x4 isn't necessary, the road is ok but rutted.

After resisting the temptation of turning around several times, we were rewarded with a view of a deserted mine that has turned into a true oasis! 3 bands, 4 different food vendors, horseshoes, plenty of "refreshments" (everybody was under control, it's not THAT kind of place), pool tables, and seating for a couple hundred. All this with no utility hookups, all solar and well water!

The food is great. Next time tho, we're scaring up 5 or 6 others to share that nacho's (desert poutine, folks). It's served in an aluminum roasting pan, looks awesome, and there's enough for a herd. I'm guessing it weighs 7 or 8 pounds!

I'll let the pictures describe it better than I can:
Will have to put that on our bucket list . Nice picture of you and Ann. I have some neighbors that moved there too . Looks like you are having lot's of fun Gregg . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:58 AM   #4

Greg, I'd have put $'s on you having checked it out already. Fersure, let's have a road trip caravan out there in Feb. Earl can be the DD. It kind of reminds me of Pancho Barnes's place in The Right Stuff or Chuck Yeager's book. A hopping joint literally in the middle of noplace.

Greggo
Old 04-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That conga line of cars reminds me of herd of cattle being corralled.....
Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lot's of people, but that can be lots of fun. Quite the setup they have. Any more photos? A place to maybe add to the "check-it-out" list.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Here are a couple more views of the Desert Bar: Sunday, January 26, 2014. If you don't want to drive, they will fly you in from Lake Havasu City in a helicopter, although I suspect it is a bit more expensive than driving!
Old 04-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Here are a couple more views of the Desert Bar: Sunday, January 26, 2014. If you don't want to drive, they will fly you in from Lake Havasu City in a helicopter, although I suspect it is a bit more expensive than driving!
Great shots, Jon. I'm not surprised you'd have been out there, esp since the turnoff is just up the road from Buckskin.

What a find.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Great shots, Jon. I'm not surprised you'd have been out there, esp since the turnoff is just up the road from Buckskin.

What a find.
Jon, I'm thinking La Paz is where you go at the River?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Jon, I'm thinking La Paz is where you go at the River?
I didn't go there this year, but spent a month in site 20 at the park in 2014. I also spent 2 weeks at Buckskin & 2 weeks at Cattail Cove state parks.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #11

The river is our go-to place in Jan/Feb. Can't think of a better place to spend the winter. Weather's great and we get an extra hour of daylight since they stay on mountain standard time compared to the coast.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You got the Right Stuff, nicely put, Greggo. Now on my list next time I'm out that way.