No-Alcohol State Parks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2023, 04:36 PM   #21

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Pulled this from Illinois DNR rules and regulations.

Section 110.20 Alcoholic Beverages – Possession, Consumption, Influence
It shall be unlawful, on Department-owned, -leased or -managed property or facilities for any person to possess or consume intoxicating beverages, including beer or wine, in any Department-owned,-leased or -managed property or facilities that is posted with signs indicating that the possession or consumption is unlawful.
(Source: Amended at 45 Ill. Reg. 12553, effective September 24, 2021)

Discretion is the better part of valor.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Discretion is indeed the better part of valour

Or camouflage.
Here's a configuration, given as a gift, to make a long neck beer bottle look like an innocent water bottle.
Works! I'm not locked up in the pokey!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-0669.jpg   IMG-0672.jpg   IMG-0674.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’m all for having a reasonably quiet campground, so if an alcohol ban helps to achieve that, it’s good by me. I don’t drink anyways….

Funny thought just came to mind though…. Maybe they should promote marijauana at rowdy campgrounds, that would quiet things down a bit, ‘cept the rustling of the snack bags being opened.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
26 years in TX parks, 22 of them in law enforcement, lived on site as asst mgr or mgr at 3 parks. It’s public consumption here, if I saw it without looking too hard, I explained the law and it was poured out and that was your warning. That got compliance about 98% of the time. If I saw it again, I usually gave folks the choice of leaving either with or without a ticket, provided they were sober. For a while after retiring, I didn’t camp in state parks for all the stuff I would see that would have put me in action at one time, but I’m back in them and enjoy them more than commercial places now, mostly for the space between sites and the natural/historical reason they’re there in the first place! And I’ve always got a brew in my trailer, and it’s always poured into a Yeti!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Spent 30 years in the NPS worked in 68 parks, some allowed alcohol some didn't. Most of the the time discreet personal consumption will be ignored unless loud drunkenness occurs which of course is more common than should be . I supported a lot of LE rangers communication via networking radio systems as well as telecom and dispatch centers. They don't want or usually have time to deal with discreet drinking. I did witness one LE seasonal ranger at a park confiscate visitors beer and then witnessed he and his lowlife friends consuming it in the evening. He wasn't asked back the next season (wink). On the other hand I was camping in a state park next to a drunken bunch of gomers sporting an obscene political sign with many families with children around. Rangers did visit them. I have seen a lot also. For the most part people are pretty well behaved in parks.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
I spent 3 nights camping in an OK state park last week. I consumed exactly one beer, and that was with a supper. If I drink alcoholic beverages it's for the flavor, not the feeling. When I was a teen in college my dad told me, if a person drinks for the taste of it, then one or at most two should be plenty for enjoying the taste. He said to me, if I drank for any other reason than to enjoy the taste, I was drinking for the wrong reason. I took that advice to heart and have lived by it. I eventually figured out that maybe he told me that stuff because he kinda-sorta knew he was having a problem with alcohol himself (he hid it fairly well from me at the time, but it became more apparent later on).
Old 04-24-2023, 10:27 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
From the Minnesota State Park Rules:
It is illegal for any person to consume intoxicating liquors, or to display liquor containers in public. State laws apply to possession and use of drugs.
There used to be a park ranger at Itasca State Park… She would also threaten to throw you out if you were talking in a normal voice, outside, after 10 pm.

Perry
Actually, I say good for her. A normal voice during the day becomes a loud voice at night.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:36 AM   #28

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Actually, I say good for her. A normal voice during the day becomes a loud voice at night.
In our case our adult children were not speaking in a loud voice, nor were they drinking, and we were the only campers close to them. To her, 10 pm was nighty-night time for everyone. I was told she was let go because her inappropriate people skills.

Some of us watch stars and that's one reason we chose the campsite we were in. So we're not allowed to talk when after 10 pm? That's not a realistic expectation. In the summer I can't even begin to cound the number of fires going after 10 pm.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 17B 2019
Good info, never thought of alcohol ban in your campsite although have seen it in Saskatchewan on spring long weekends to keep the youngsters quiet. Always seemed if you were quiet you were ok having a beer in a cup because they wouldn’t come into your site to check if you were quiet. Personally find generators way more irritating and wish more campsites had limits on that noise.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
In our case our adult children were not speaking in a loud voice, nor were they drinking, and we were the only campers close to them. To her, 10 pm was nighty-night time for everyone. I was told she was let go because her inappropriate people skills.

Some of us watch stars and that's one reason we chose the campsite we were in. So we're not allowed to talk when after 10 pm? That's not a realistic expectation. In the summer I can't even begin to cound the number of fires going after 10 pm.

Enjoy,

Perry
I saw my share of overzealous rangers in my time, though they were in the distinct minority. The vast majority were courteous and were looking out for visitor and resource safety. Stlll it only takes a bad experience to remember for years.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #31

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I saw my share of overzealous rangers in my time, though they were in the distinct minority. The vast majority were courteous and were looking out for visitor and resource safety. Stlll it only takes a bad experience to remember for years.
In the decades we've been camping, I've only run into two rangers that had people skill problems. I complained to the St Paul office about both and they are now employed elsewhere. Having spent half my career dealing with parents, I finally learned when to keep my mouth shut.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-25-2023, 06:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We would have seasonal people who mistakenly thought they were law enforcement. I would head for the Commissioners office with details of the incident and my recommendation for what I called the John Wayne or Buford Pusser character defect. Commissioner would listen so he could respond if there were protesting repercussions then tell me “Take him.” He never failed to back me.

What do you do with a guy who returns, uninvited, to a graduation party after his shift, eats a sandwich, gets a beer from the keg, remarks that the party needs more life and goes to his car and gets a pet python? Answer: Terminate the employee and turn him into the deputized animal control guy for violation of the exotic animal ordinance. End of problem. The truth is stranger than fiction.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-25-2023, 07:42 PM   #33

Or witness a supervisory ranger from the dispatch center pull his service weapon in HQ to shoot and miss at an alleged rapid raccoon. Geez
Old 04-25-2023, 09:03 PM   #34

In our police station in Council Bluffs an officer upholstered his revolver and somehow it discharged into the ceiling. Nobody was hurt but the hole was left as a training reminder for quite a few years.at least for the eight years I was there. Accidents happen.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-26-2023, 10:11 AM   #35

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
We don't drink so I don't care.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Well, that was helpful.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #37

Take me drunk, I’m home again Davey. (How I learned to drive at an early age)
Iowa Dave
Old 04-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #38

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Dave, recall I gave you a six pack of YEE HAW beer at gathering at A state park near Limestone TN (not to name names). Forgot ranger was there. He just cautioned us to put in out of sight.

Now there is a growing market for some really good alcohol free beer. There are at least four brands that have it. I know it’s like washing your feet with your socks on, but works for me.
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:35 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Neither do we except maybe a beer at the end of a long hot day.

But what happens around us matters. The worst park ever for drinking was near Spokane WA. We setup quite early and then a pickup with a huge BBQ rolled in. Hint #1. Then the music arrived, a vehicle with both doors wide open and "music" blasting out. Hint #2. Then the drinking started. This was all before supper time. We didn't need anymore hints.

We asked for a move to the other end of the park and setup. In a while the site across from us started down the same path. Lot's of folks, music and booze.

We do have the same situation in Vancouver. The parks closest are regarded by some as a party place. Give me a remote forest service site anytime.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
We camp mostly in GA, S. & N. Carolina, every state park I've ever state in says no alcohol but have NEVER seen it enforced. I agree with others as long as you're discreet about it and don't get rowdy I think they turn a blind eye to it. Lets hope it stays that way.

Take care,
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote