No-Alcohol State Parks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
No-Alcohol State Parks

Here in the Northeast, some states forbid alcoholic beverages in their state parks, e.g. MA, CT, PA, some NY parks; not sure about ME, VT, NH. Other states around the country?

In MA you might get asked at the gate whether you have alcohol; haven't been asked in PA. Avoided CT state parks after reading reviews by people harassed (they said) by rangers.

Now I don't like lying, even 'little white lies'. But I do like a beer or two at dinnertime, and a nightcap in the evening. So if asked, I say no, and keep my beer in a covered mug if I'm outside. I rationalize by saying to myself, "The rules are just for rowdies."

I know we have lots of beer and wine (etc.) drinkers here. What do you do?
Old 04-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do the same as you do, keep it covered and no conspicuous consumption.....
Old 04-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
TX state parks don't prohibit alcohol, it just can't be displayed or consumed in any public place and anywhere outside of your trailer / tent / cabin is considered a 'public place'.

Same as y'all, I just keep it covered or in a non-obvious container when lounging outside and have never received any sort of comment or question negative or otherwise from anyone over many decades. That includes countless nice visits with park rangers / staff while something is sitting on table (e.g. a beer can covered with a koozy).

Old 04-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Simple. I just don’t visit and spend my money in those States.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm truly amazed by this situation.

Here, we have the opposite situation. Alcohol within campsites has never been restricted. Now we have a trend of starting to permit drinking in public parks. People have been doing that at the beach and other areas but keeping it discreet. Not sure that I agree with increasing the amount of public areas that folks can drink as there's already enough yahoos around, don't need more drunk yahoos.

And that's my sermon for today.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I dealt with beer and wine consumption in public parks where I had oversight for 32 years. This included a couple campgrounds. We had rules, we had law enforcement to enforce the rules and we didn’t have much for problems. So I really don’t agree with the no alcohol policies and as has been stated, any time there are policies I don’t like,
I just don’t go there. There are too many other great places to stay and to visit. I do like a little beer and a shot on occasion. Drank my first Moscow Mule in a can the other day. Pretty tasty but too expensive compared to what I usually spend. But this one was free. Well not exactly, my son left it for me and I’ve got a few bucks in raising him but it was worth it. It turns out.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-24-2023, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
. . . So I really don’t agree with the no alcohol policies and as has been stated, any time there are policies I don’t like,
I just don’t go there. There are too many other great places to stay and to visit.
So you don't go to the parks you ran that banned alcohol?
Old 04-24-2023, 07:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Here in the Northeast, some states forbid alcoholic beverages in their state parks, e.g. MA, CT, PA, some NY parks; not sure about ME, VT, NH. Other states around the country?

In MA you might get asked at the gate whether you have alcohol; haven't been asked in PA. Avoided CT state parks after reading reviews by people harassed (they said) by rangers.

Now I don't like lying, even 'little white lies'. But I do like a beer or two at dinnertime, and a nightcap in the evening. So if asked, I say no, and keep my beer in a covered mug if I'm outside. I rationalize by saying to myself, "The rules are just for rowdies."

I know we have lots of beer and wine (etc.) drinkers here. What do you do?
I was told by a friend that worked in a state park in RI if I kept things under wraps and under control they would not bother me. The rules are there so they can throw someone out that is getting out of hand....and they will! I too use the travel mug method for my "hop soda or grape juice" if I am outside. So far so good...
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
TX state parks don't prohibit alcohol, it just can't be displayed or consumed in any public place and anywhere outside of your trailer / tent / cabin is considered a 'public place'.

Same as y'all, I just keep it covered or in a non-obvious container when lounging outside and have never received any sort of comment or question negative or otherwise from anyone over many decades. That includes countless nice visits with park rangers / staff while something is sitting on table (e.g. a beer can covered with a koozy).

Similar rule in OK state parks.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
In the Canadian National Parks (Banff and Jasper in any case) they will generally prohibit consumption of alcohol at their campgrounds during long weekends but will allow alcohol use at other times. We have always done as others have noted and kept our consumption inconspicuous, either in the trailer or in alternate containers outdoors.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #11

Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
So you don't go to the parks you ran that banned alcohol?
One thing you learn in public life is that when you’re on you’re own time you don’t spend that time on the properties you manage. People recognize you and want something changed, opened up or left open for them etc.

I never camped in any of the campgrounds I managed or recreated in any of the non alcohol parks. Only business in them.

We rented 25 pavilions in my last job. Those rentals all allowed beer (quarts or smaller) and wine with the rental and keg beer with a $10 keg permit. Those permits were communicated to law enforcement who would “visit” the pavilion during the event. If there was underage drinking, bottles of whiskey on the tables, or people doing illegal drugs the PD ended the party.

When we opened new parks, the city council took our recommendation on alcohol use and added the park name to the appropriate classification by resolution to the ordinance.

In 23 years at my final job I only had a couple murders and about 10 suicides. My employees took training on Meth labs, wore heavy shoes and gloves to prevent needle sticks and worked in pairs in some areas. It could be a jungle out there.
We had 4,000 acres of park ground, mowed 975 acres every week as appropriate. Peak summer employment was 80 people. Always seemed like there was something to do.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-24-2023, 10:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I once stayed at a State Park in PA and when asked if I had alcoholic beverages, I said yes & I was passing through. Once when camping in an SC state Park, I was hassled about drinking a beer when tent camping. (I’ve gotten better at keeping it more discreet as I’ve aged!” While I was tent camping, do you think all the trailers & big rigs were alcohol free? It’s interesting to observe the makeup of the dumpsters when you leave those “alcohol free campgrounds,” I guess all these campers bring their alcohol beverage containers to the campground from home to dispose of at the state park!
Old 04-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #13

There’s a nickel deposit on carbonated beverage containers and wine and liquor bottles in Iowa. In many state parks there’s a heavy duty wire cage with a lock on it near the dumpster. Park users put their empties in the cage and the park manager or a local park volunteer park support group redeems the cans for the nickels and that money goes toward a park improvement. Improvements like a new bench near the restroom where hubby can wait while his dearly beloved makes herself beautiful for the day.

So it’s common to see incoming campers stop by the can bin and drop a some cans in that they have brought from home. How’s that for being “Iowa Nice”?
Peace Out
Iowa Dave
Old 04-24-2023, 11:04 AM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Don't ask don't tell what's in my plastic cup.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:26 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
From the Minnesota State Park Rules:
It is illegal for any person to consume intoxicating liquors, or to display liquor containers in public. State laws apply to possession and use of drugs.
There used to be a park ranger at Itasca State Park who would come around and if she felt you were drinking alcohol would threaten to throw you out in a not-so-nice manner. I heard some campers put a bottle of cola in a beer labeled Kozy and she went nuts when she found out it was just cola. She would also threaten to throw you out if you were talking in a normal voice, outside, after 10 pm. We complained about her demeanor (or perhaps her demeaner). While she was there the next year, I heard she was finally let go.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I have never encountered that rule anywhere I camp, at least not that I know of... but I mostly camp in Idaho and Montana... and I stopped drinking anyway, about 2 years ago. I actually don't think it's a bad idea, in terms of preventing loud, raucus partiers that the campground host will have to deal with. I might even choose to camp where there is such a rule, for that very reason. But, I would think if you're not outside making a spectacle of yourself, I doubt anyone would do a thing about a beer, wine, or other drink consumed in a generic container, or inside one's camper.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I was at Franklin Mountain Texas State Park this past weekend. It was also posted alcoholic beverages were not allowed. Been in several parks with that rule but never had an issue with drinking out of the proverbial red Solo cup. One quirk about this park is they locked that gates at 6pm!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
I know from first hand experience, in some COE campgrounds (perhaps all?), alcohol is not permitted. As I am a non-drinker, not a big deal for me but the wife likes a glass of wine or two in the evening. She uses the don't ask, don't tell approach mentioned by others. She uses a red plastic cup for the vino. If the camp host asks, I can truthfully say I won't have any alcoholic drinks at the campsite.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Virginia has the same rule as Texas. Camouflaged adult beverages are ignored but if you flaunt your drink or get rowdy out you go.
edlynnrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlynnrich View Post
Virginia has the same rule as Texas. Camouflaged adult beverages are ignored but if you flaunt your drink or get rowdy out you go.

This seems to be the general point of these rules, it allows the park officials deal with rowdy drunks.

In MI the vast majority of public campgrounds allow alcohol in sites, but the very busy ones with a history of parties and problem ban it. And everyone knows that what the ban really means is that you may drink so long as you do so in a way that is non-obvious, and don't get rowdy / drunk / obnoxious.

Basically, don't give them a problem and they won't give you a problem. I have never observed MI DNR officials actively looking for people drinking in the parks with bans.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote