Now that you got a camper, You gotta see this! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #61

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Tim
Well my continued study of my ancestry via my brother in Fort Collins continues to expand our history. I truly have but one middle name but literary license prevails.

Growing up 25 miles from the University of Iowa. As kids, we learned all the chants. Notably “P.U Purdue”. I’m not that much into sports but have been to about half of the big ten stadiums for games.

I was proud of my Alma Mater, Iowa State last night when they beat Oklahoma. After losing at home to them for the last 60 year, 24 straight times it felt like a nice rain at the end of a drought.
Iowa Dave
Glad we could do you a good turn and warm your heart, Dave. I’m not a college football fan so I can say that with all sincerity. My son might be feeling otherwise about now, though.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #62

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Edmund Fitzgerald sank 45 years ago

I posted about the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a while back and referenced this tragedy. The local residents are celebrating the legend of the Edmund Fitzgerald which sank 45 years ago this week.

It is worthwhile to remember this event. It shaped the lives of so many Michaganders in 1975.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/edmund-fi...202909811.html
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #63

The Eagles of St. Vrain S.P..

Sara and I decided to start this year off right and go camping over the New Year break. I knew of a small state park that we would never visit in the warmer months, due to it's proximity to I-25, but it is quite beautiful otherwise and full of birds. So a quick Winter visit seemed nice. The name of the park is Saint Vrain State Park.

The eastern plains of Colorado sport a multitude of lakes, creeks, rivers and wetlands and the area holds a sizable population of bald eagles, and other big birds, throughout the Winter months.

About a third of the population are native eagles that live here year round. The other two thirds come down from the northern and middle Rockies to spend the Winter in this warmer climate. They eat mostly prairie dogs and some fish, when the lakes are not frozen.

We took Zen out to find a nice dry spot and within 30 minutes of home, I was connecting the 30 amp power service. Sara arrived a little bit later, since she is a princess. She drove her little CRV, 'Mountainairre'. We found a nice site.

The bird life is everywhere and within a few hours we had full grown bald eagles cruising right overhead. At times they would cruise the campground about ten feet off the ground and swoop up into a big cottonwood tree. They have no fear of anyone, and one time I thought a big baldie was going to hit a photographer, with a giant lens, in the back of the head. He was so close!!! The guy never saw him. Of course I had a slight chuckle over that (I was actually LMAO).

Do I recommend St. Vrain S.P.? No! I don't, and will probably only visit during the Winter months. The presence of the interstate cannot be avoided. And we have so many great choices, with the mountains so close. However, for you weary travelers that are leaving, or coming into Denver and want to stop just off the interstate, then this is a very good option. Lots of people stay here and then visit their kids who live in Denver. Others visit R.M.N.P. and come back here at night. Not me, but maybe you.

Here are some photos I hope you enjoy. Mostly of a nested pair of bald eagles that hung out with us the two days we were there. There were also ducks, geese, herons and other species too. Temperatures were in the 50's in the daytime and single digits at night, and the skies were sunny. Cost: $37 a night with power, no water. $9 a day entrance fee. Showers are nice and are on throughout the year! There are limited full hookups available too. This is not a big park.

I hope you like bald eagles! There will be two entries so I can show you some additional photography.
Attached Thumbnails
T03_6512.jpg   T03_6513.jpg   T03_6530.jpg   T03_6536.jpg   T03_6549.jpg  

T03_6565.jpg   T03_6566.jpg   T03_6567.jpg  
Old 01-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #64

The Eagles of St. Vrain S.P..

Here are a few more shots of The Eagles of St. Vrain S.P..

Sara said she has her eagle face on!

God bless Jim Norman.
Attached Thumbnails
T03_6568.jpg   T03_6569.jpg   T03_6575.jpg   T03_6610.jpg   T03_6615.jpg  

T03_6639.jpg  
Old 01-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Wow, I haven’t been to St. Vrain SP in 30 years.
Thanks for posting this Tim, great memories.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #66

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Thanks for the great photos. Just beautiful!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
What is that elegant contraption in the fire ring? Is that also river equipment?
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
What is that elegant contraption in the fire ring? Is that also river equipment?

It's my Solo stove. A wood burner, but I had the best fire both days. Plus it really is smoke free. A truly great stove.

I love it.
https://www.solostove.com/ranger-backyard-bundle/
Attached Thumbnails
Solo Stove 1.jpg   Solo Stove 2.jpg   Solo Stove 3.jpg   Solo Stove 4.jpg  
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #69

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Here are some photos I hope you enjoy. Mostly of a nested pair of bald eagles that hung out with us the two days we were there.
Wow! Fascinating photography. I just made one of the shots with the two eagles my desktop background.

We live just off the Delaware River and have been seeing many more bald eagles in recent years while on the river and inland. The other day I watched one come down across the road and go after a rabbit in a field that had just been harvested. I couldn't believe how big it was and the speed and agility used to catch that rabbit. It got scared by the farmers truck and flew back over my truck with the rabbit hanging from his talons.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #70

You are welcome to use them as backgrounds.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Now I know where to go for great eagle shots. Really nice.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Nice photos for sure. We have numerous opportunities for eagle photography here in Iowa .I was about 20 years old before I saw my first bald Eagle. My good friend DD Weymiller and I were taking a tow boat from New Albin downriver to Lansing before it got frozen in for the winter. DD casually pointed to the East and said “There’s a Bald Eagle”. I could not believe I was seeing this bird over the Mississippi River on a cold December day with a bright blue sky as the background. I never forgot the scene. It heartens me greatly now to be able to take a 20 mile drive and see one or more Eagles. And I’m casual about it just as my friend was 50 years ago. We have many things to be thankful for in our Country and the return of the Bald Eagles ranks right up there with the best. Saw this one on the Iowa River a couple weeks ago east of the little town of Chelsea, Iowa. The first photo is ust the river, then the eagle which was perched in a tree flew up the river. I hadn’t noticed him till then.
Have the best day you can
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
3EF9BC9E-1747-4467-BC9D-B9348B5CE6B6.jpg   A43146B3-2998-42B2-A06A-9F0FAC95B032.jpg  
Old 01-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Very nice Tim and thanks for the info on the park as my son lives in Boulder I might stay there next summer. Also the solo stove interests me.
oldwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #74

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thank you for this -- it's inspiring!
Old 01-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
Dave: Is that Nessie sticking its head out of the water?
Attached Thumbnails
nessie.jpg  
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jack
How have you been? Or should I say Jak se mas? Nope, that’s not Nessie but instead just some stuck in the mud driftwood that comes down the Iowa river either at ice out or in high water after a prolonged rain event in summer. I did have Nessie on my catfish rig a couple times in this area but she broke me off.

This bridge is at the site of the 345 foot long iron Chambers Ford Bridge built in 1902 and removed a few years ago. I’ve fished and hunted this area since I was but a yute. My mother was born in nearby Chelsea on Jan. 2, 1919. I take a parade route in this area a few times a year just for the heck of it. The land to the east is pretty flat to gently rolling. However the hills to the west are steep and timbered. Immigrants, including my ancestors from Bohemia settled this area in the late1860s or so. The landform and climate closely resembled that of their native Bohemia. From the time I grew up and before, this is the area known as the Bohemian Alps. That reference brings a smile, a swelling of ancestral pride and more than a few stories of sliding off a steep grade and into a ditch.

Locations are described by ancient landowner farms ( the old Cerveny place), the one room schoolhouses ( just south of Salt Creek number 3) or a landform ( Model T hill) for example.
The old purebred Bohemies are mostly gone but the Czech pride lives on.
Hoping everything is good with Nancy and you. Sure hope this pandemic is gone sooner than later. When it does, we will be back in Canada for some great camping.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
50C09274-2BB3-43D5-89DC-D89548F7D31F.jpg   ECC39874-7F47-4F51-A1EC-83DB1093B40D.jpg   D1ED36C6-9AE7-44B1-B453-8F270D20E23B.jpg   0C51308A-5E69-4DBF-B6AF-9AABE2BD1DB8a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:14 PM   #77

Goblin Valley State Park

Okay just a quick little post to kick off Spring camping season. Sara and I went to Goblin Valley State Park in Utah to hike a few slot canyons. Great chance to get some Sun and the canyons are great. They look hard, but they're not. The ones next door, Ding and Dang are! Don't do them without a lot of experience and a team and a very long rope (with harness). But these are tame!

Outside of the state park are two slot canyons that are totally fun! REALLY NARROW and very high, they are a real treat. About 8.5 miles for the loop. Yes you get to hike a loop! Little Wild Horse Canyon and Bell Canyon. A GREAT way to introduce yourself to slots! I love these hikes. Don't go when it's raining! No!
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:14 PM   #78

Just a few more.
Attached Thumbnails
9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #79

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Nice Pics! Glad somebody can get out of Dodge.

In the final picture, on the table top.....is that a 5 gallon secondary beer fermenter with airlock, bubbling away? Brewing while you're cruising?

Salud!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #80

It should be!

No just water in case things freeze up at night. Our neighbor's RV fresh water froze up the night before, so nothing came out. We just set the thermostat to 58° for the night and things were fine.

I love this trailer. I also love Pilsner beer. That is Stella in the carton down there. Happy camping!