Now that you got a camper, You gotta see this! - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
What tour did u book

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #102

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
Hey Great Egg,
Sent you a PM

Got it - thanks for all the good info! But please don't tell anyone else!
Old 04-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #103

Trailer: 2019 E19
Great Egg,
Red Canyon Road is trailerable to the junction with Radium King Road BUT is dirt all the way. Narrow in places, and NOT a place for someone with a fear of heights. San Juan County has already done the grading for the year all the way to the junction. There are few places large enough to turn a trailer around.

Best boondocking view off Red Canyon Road: 37d 32'27" 110d 17' 22"
Best boondocking view off Radium King Rd: 37d 34'24" 110d 8' 52"

Google Earth can be your friend, but don't trust the accuracy of 6 year old images.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #104

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
Great Egg,
Red Canyon Road is trailerable to the junction with Radium King Road BUT is dirt all the way. Narrow in places, and NOT a place for someone with a fear of heights. San Juan County has already done the grading for the year all the way to the junction. There are few places large enough to turn a trailer around.

Best boondocking view off Red Canyon Road: 37d 32'27" 110d 17' 22"
Best boondocking view off Radium King Rd: 37d 34'24" 110d 8' 52"

Google Earth can be your friend, but don't trust the accuracy of 6 year old images.

Thanks for the additional info - appreciate it. Now hush up!
Old 04-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #105

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We used East Zion Experiences (https://www.eastzionexperiences.com/) ... the non-rappelling, UTV slot canyon tour (Note: Crazy ride and it's dusty ... ). There is also East Zion Adventures which has similar tours: https://www.eastzionadventures.com/.

Also, for anyone wanting to go into Zion, you must obtain a shuttle ticket if you want to get into the Valley. Details are here: https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...le-tickets.htm. There are usually walk-up tickets but they go fast and they won't let you board the shuttle until 2:00 pm with those tickets.

Note: If you want a low-key campground (no frills) that's close to Zion and Bryce, try the Mt Carmel Motel & RV Park. The Bryce-Zion Campground looked nice as well.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #106

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
The Mackinac Bridge

Did I mention you ladies and guys should really be thinking about Michigan!

Really. More Soon!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mackinac Bridge.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #107

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We’ve done several week long vacations in Michigan. Their state parks are a little pricey and the ones in the east side of the lake are a lot crowded. I prefer the UP. Would consider going again some day but avoiding the weekends in the middle of summer.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2021, 09:04 PM   #108

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Did I mention you ladies and guys should really be thinking about Michigan!

Really. More Soon!
Glad you liked it.
I suspect, since there is nothing to provide size perspective, that relatively few people viewing that picture would guess the bridge is about 5 miles long.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #109

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Hurricane ridge.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #110

It's late September and the elk are rutting. Rocky Mtn. N.P. is alive with bugling elk and warfare among the big bulls. Sara asked me to go with her this morning, and it was great.

Right now they are just getting started and only fight for a few minutes and then go back to chasing ladies. They look to be in great shape this year. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
T03_8820.jpg   T03_8831.jpg   T03_8849.jpg   T03_8860.jpg   T03_8866.jpg  

T03_8880.jpg   T03_8882.jpg   T03_8890 (1).jpg  
Old 09-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #111

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great stuff Tim. Are they still requiring reservations to drive through the park? This one's a few years old - pre Escape. Would love to pass through, jump out to get my shots, then drive out.
Attached Thumbnails
elkMoraine.jpg  
Old 09-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Great stuff Tim. Are they still requiring reservations to drive through the park? This one's a few years old - pre Escape. Would love to pass through, jump out to get my shots, then drive out.
Yes! You make reservations the previous day at 5 pm exactly (Recreation.gov). The cost is $2. The permits seem to be limited to 200 a day, per 2 hour time slot and were gone within a few minutes when we went. Get the full park pass. You can stay all day if you want.

Still worth it. Had a great day.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:45 AM   #113

The wine District in Grand Junction, Colorado

Hey Guys!
I want to share a little secret with you for next Autumn. You can thank me later.

This is how my family rolls. We like wine! I like it but the ladies LOVE IT! So once in a while we schedule a little wine tasting in some of the various wine districts.

Our favorite is Napa and Sonoma, domestically speaking. Yeah, we’re snobs.

Mostly me. I had a paying gig for a month to shoot wineries and vineyards in both islands of New Zealand one year. I drank wine on 19 of 26 nights with the four great wine masters of New Zealand. I took over 11,000 photographs in 26 days, each photo shoot lasting between 12 and 18 hours. That was a once in a lifetime event. Of course I am grateful.

So now I know wine. Really well.

Anyway this story is not about the Napa and Sonoma valleys, or the Willamette, my new favorite. It is about a little wine district in Palisade Colorado. We have our very own wine district and it is adorable. My wife and I took Zen, our camper, last March, on our way to Goblin Valley to climb slot canyons. We stayed at Sauvage Spectrum, and met the owners and had fun. We joined the wine club.

This year my older daughter, Katie, stumbled in town and loved every minute of it. So we took her younger sister there and introduced her to wine flights! I mean we introduced her to the finer aspects of wine tasting and social dining. Which was great!

It was Halloween and so there were parties! We hiked, we laughed, we drank wine and saw beautiful Fall colors. This trip we booked an AirB&B and it was very convenient. Zen stayed home. Wah!

There are several wineries and restaurants, this is in the very tip of the Grand Valley. Moab, UT is two hours down the road. You can ride bikes, hike, camp and all sorts of other things.

Bonus: On the way home, stop at Glenwood Springs and soak in the biggest hot springs in the world. Pure joy in a lovely town. Hint: Go to Frida’s Mexican restaurant. I think it is the best in the World. I really do! Just go, and love every minute.
Attached Thumbnails
palisades-co.jpg   the ladies.jpg   thefamily.jpg   the kids and me.jpg  
Old 02-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #114

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Hey Guys!
I want to share a little secret with you for next Autumn. You can thank me later.

This is how my family rolls. We like wine! I like it but the ladies LOVE IT! So once in a while we schedule a little wine tasting in some of the various wine districts.

Mostly me. I had a paying gig for a month to shoot wineries and vineyards in both islands of New Zealand one year. I drank wine on 19 of 26 nights with the four great wine masters of New Zealand. I took over 11,000 photographs in 26 days, each photo shoot lasting between 12 and 18 hours. That was a once in a lifetime event. Of course I am grateful.

Anyway this story is not about the Napa and Sonoma valleys, or the Willamette, my new favorite. It is about a little wine district in Palisade Colorado. We have our very own wine district and it is adorable. My wife and I took Zen, our camper, last March, on our way to Goblin Valley to climb slot canyons. We stayed at Sauvage Spectrum, and met the owners and had fun. We joined the wine club.

This year my older daughter, Katie, stumbled in town and loved every minute of it. So we took her younger sister there and introduced her to wine flights! I mean we introduced her to the finer aspects of wine tasting and social dining. Which was great!

It was Halloween and so there were parties! We hiked, we laughed, we drank wine and saw beautiful Fall colors. This trip we booked an AirB&B and it was very convenient. Zen stayed home. Wah!

There are several wineries and restaurants, this is in the very tip of the Grand Valley. Moab, UT is two hours down the road. You can ride bikes, hike, camp and all sorts of other things.

Bonus: On the way home, stop at Glenwood Springs and soak in the biggest hot springs in the world. Pure joy in a lovely town. Hint: Go to Frida’s Mexican restaurant. I think it is the best in the World. I really do! Just go, and love every minute.

There are several wine tours in the Palisade area. The one locals recommend and we very much enjoyed was:

https://jrscarriage.com/

An enjoyable and fun horse drawn several hour tour.
GJ and Palisade are secret retirement communities. Palisade is a very unique town. Wineries, gardens and small farms within the town. Great area for fruit stands when in season.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #115

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Hey Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
What tour did u book

David

If you are asking me, we took the one that starts at the Wine Country Inn, also a super place to stay.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #116

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Western Colorado

The comments about the area I grew up makes me want to take another trip even if the last was last October. We used to ride bicycles as kids over the Monument and camp up there when in scouts. Before school would start we would work for a few weeks in the peach harvest to earn school money. If the harvest was late then school would start late, the kids were important to the peach harvest. My dad worked heavy construction on many of the roads in the 40's and 50's and sometimes we would spend part of the summer in the small towns near the construction sites.
All good memories, but as they say you can't go back.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #117

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
It's late September and the elk are rutting. Rocky Mtn. N.P. is alive with bugling elk and warfare among the big bulls. Sara asked me to go with her this morning, and it was great.

Right now they are just getting started and only fight for a few minutes and then go back to chasing ladies. They look to be in great shape this year. Enjoy!
It is easy to become complacent with the wildlife in the parks as they seem so unafraid of humans, but in they end they are still wild and potentially dangerous. You do have to be especially careful about how close you approach the elk, particularly in rutting season. I recall seeing an article about a parks canada vehicle being attached by an unruly elk in Jasper national park. Left some damage on the side of the truck as well.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #118

Trailer: 21
My sister in law lives in grand junction. We get up there twice a yr beautiful country up there she’s friends with several of the winery’s there they do make good wines and the scenery up there is a bonus
Old 02-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #119

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
We enjoy wine riding we go to Yakama "Cherrywood" its a lovely place- lux teepees and a great breakfast and ride our horses from winery to winery. We tie up taste a bit and ride to the next winery -the horses stay sober so they get us home safely.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #120

Ain't no campground, but I found this little guy skunking around the rabbits in the side yard this morning.

Followed him for half a block before he finally turned around as if to say WHAT?. He certainly wasn't scared of me.

About 25 pounds, healthy.

Bobcat! Well, here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
T03_9436.jpg