Private homes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
There's an app for that. Hipcamp.com. First thing I'd check before doing this would be my homeowner insurance situation.
We don't have what is called 'homeowners ins' but we would have to look at some sort of liability ins. Our Farmers agent could figure something out.

I seriously doubt it's gonna happen.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I think I am not going to do this...Kind of reconsidered potential pitfalls.... Still going to keep my eye out for suitable properties that may work for sites though
Old 08-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Is this not what harvest hosts is , on an urban/suburban landscape
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Red face Insurance

First am not an insurance agent. But I have learned a ton getting a new insurance policy for some property we have in Los Angeles. Great difficulty because were only ensuring the dirt. There is a business on it which is ongoing that has their own policies two and 5 million. In our carrier decided to get out of the business so we had to go out and I learned it's much easier to ensure a building or a business than just dirt. We finally did get a policy for one too 2 million. Your homeowners will not cover any business, if they can get away with it. Farmers recommended a specialty agency to us and that's who I finally went with. Be prepared to spend some time working on this issue.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #25

I think HH is overnight stays at a place that has something for sale. Farms, wineries museums etc. A great overnight stop for free with the expectations of you buying something from the vendors. No hookups, no running generators and no extended stay if I have their Biz model right.
I am looking for extended type sites that peeps can spend a winter or so in a resort community without being in a RV park, paying $900/month...
Old 08-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
First am not an insurance agent. But I have learned a ton getting a new insurance policy for some property we have in Los Angeles. Great difficulty because were only ensuring the dirt. There is a business on it which is ongoing that has their own policies two and 5 million. In our carrier decided to get out of the business so we had to go out and I learned it's much easier to ensure a building or a business than just dirt. We finally did get a policy for one too 2 million. Your homeowners will not cover any business, if they can get away with it. Farmers recommended a specialty agency to us and that's who I finally went with. Be prepared to spend some time working on this issue.
I agree with the Insurance issue.. Thats one of the reasons I stopped considering it at my home (among others). I also think I could cover that issue on a suitable piece of property in Florida, waaay easier than Los Angeles.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I agree with the Insurance issue.. Thats one of the reasons I stopped considering it at my home (among others). I also think I could cover that issue on a suitable piece of property in Florida, waaay easier than Los Angeles.
Has it ever been different? Cost you $2 to make $1.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Definitely would have to check your local zoning laws .
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
Definitely would have to check your local zoning laws .
No concerns there.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
There is actually an app for that
......HIPCAMP.....great app
Hope this helps
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB
You probably should QUIETLY search to see if your local governing body has ANY rules re the type of use you're contemplating. HOA's in particular can be BEARS about how property within their purview can be used. IF you're IN a HOA, I'd say you can just about forget it. Personally, if I were NOT present to "keep an eye" on what's going on, I would NEVER allow ANY strangers make use of my property. Eventually, you WILL be used by a scammer looking for a big payday at your expense. I understand that property transfers in FL can be VERY dicey. A slick operator could "sell" your property claiming that it's HIS property. LOTS of land mines here. If you decide to go forward, GOOD LUCK, I fear you'll need all the good luck you can find.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
You probably should QUIETLY search to see if your local governing body has ANY rules re the type of use you're contemplating. HOA's in particular can be BEARS about how property within their purview can be used. IF you're IN a HOA, I'd say you can just about forget it. Personally, if I were NOT present to "keep an eye" on what's going on, I would NEVER allow ANY strangers make use of my property. Eventually, you WILL be used by a scammer looking for a big payday at your expense. I understand that property transfers in FL can be VERY dicey. A slick operator could "sell" your property claiming that it's HIS property. LOTS of land mines here. If you decide to go forward, GOOD LUCK, I fear you'll need all the good luck you can find.
As I have stated earlier, I have decided not to pursue this.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape
We are in FL. No HOA. Located outside the incorporated city zone and in the unincorporated County zone. Still they have zoning restrictions on RV use. The home owner can use an RV, behind the property, for a maximum period of 2 weeks. Seems they are quite gun shy in FL about mobile homes just popping up on vacant undeveloped land or on developed land, without permits or sewer.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:58 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
First night

Spent the first night in the Escape. It’s still in the driveway for a few days. Birds singing and nice sunrise. Full hookups. We’ll have to boondock next.

We do belong to Boondockers Welcome, but with the Harvest Host changes, may drop it.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Spent the first night in the Escape. It’s still in the driveway for a few days. Birds singing and nice sunrise. Full hookups. We’ll have to boondock next.

We do belong to Boondockers Welcome, but with the Harvest Host changes, may drop it.
What Harvest Host changes?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #36

Lots of changes in how the host side seems to work for BW under the new owners.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Oh, okay, read that wrong, read it as changes in Harvest Hosts. I haven't done either but have friends who have hosted both.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #38

I can’t comment on the HH side. I’ve never had it, and for our travel plans, don’t see a need or value. It obviously works for some.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We joined Boondockers Welcome last April and stayed at a great private home on some acreage in Sherwood, OR while we had our Transit van upfitted over 5 days. It was great; the Host gets some kind of points for Hosting. Company that owns Harvest Hosts recently acquired BW.

I used to belong to Boondockers Welcome. So if I join Harvest Hosts now, the Boondockers sites, maybe have been rolled in? Harvest Hosts, ask you to buy something...... Well I don't drink, so all the wineries & breweries are out for me. Which look to be about 1/2!!
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #40

We were, until recently, BW hosts. Since HH bought them, it has been impossible for us to find BW sites to help in our travels, and accordingly have cancelled our membership even at no cost since hosts do take on some liability. The liability was not the main issue for us, but without any benefits for us, holding that liability made no sense. Before HH bought BW we had both great guest and host experiences.