Private homes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Private homes

Just curious if anyone has rented a spot in a resort town that isn't an RV park? Like a private property situation type scenario. I live in a Florida resort town and have a 30amp elec hookup and water but no Blackwater/grey tank capabilities yet. I have had people ask me to stay in my driveway in the past.. Wasn't really interested at the time. I may be open now on a limited basis. I;m gone every other Month for work, and would be only interested in guests when i'm away. ... The good: garage access with washer and dryer, kayaks, across the street from ICW in a residential neighborhood close to town. Plenty of parking for TV and backyard for dogs/cats. Front paver patio that faces ICW... Planning stages only and would only offer to Escape peeps unless a friend asked.. Not sure this is viable or not...Escape Air B and B type scenario, I guess
Old 08-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Interesting

Sounds like you're trying to set up like an air B&B for RVs. Very interesting concept. I would recommend you do some Internet research there may already be a site set up to do something like this.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #3

your right Craiger...I have had income properties and still do. Really not sure if I want to offer my home Driveway as another income stream yet... Still in initial planning stage. I have had inquiries without asking,so it got my wheels turning..
Old 08-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We joined Boondockers Welcome last April and stayed at a great private home on some acreage in Sherwood, OR while we had our Transit van upfitted over 5 days. It was great; the Host gets some kind of points for Hosting. Company that owns Harvest Hosts recently acquired BW.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
"ICW" is an acronym for what?
Old 08-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Just curious if anyone has rented a spot in a resort town that isn't an RV park? Like a private property situation type scenario. I live in a Florida resort town and have a 30amp elec hookup and water but no Blackwater/grey tank capabilities yet. I have had people ask me to stay in my driveway in the past.. Wasn't really interested at the time. I may be open now on a limited basis. I;m gone every other Month for work, and would be only interested in guests when i'm away. ... The good: garage access with washer and dryer, kayaks, across the street from ICW in a residential neighborhood close to town. Plenty of parking for TV and backyard for dogs/cats. Front paver patio that faces ICW... Planning stages only and would only offer to Escape peeps unless a friend asked.. Not sure this is viable or not...Escape Air B and B type scenario, I guess
I suppose you could install a ring floodlight to keep an eye on things while you’re away.

I’ve lived in the same neighborhood and even street as some of my rentals, easy to play sheriff that way.

Now I’m in a different neighborhood, it’s close by, I prefer a little distance.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I remember when I was pouring a pad, adding a 30 amp circuit and finally a steel RV cover for our trailer that three of my friends living up and down the west coast brought to my attention that they had added the same capability to their homes and none of them owned RVs.

They each said the same thing, “Just in case”.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Inter Coastal Waterway. Runs from FL to NY
Old 08-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I remember when I was pouring a pad, adding a 30 amp circuit and finally a steel RV cover for our trailer that three of my friends living up and down the west coast brought to my attention that they had added the same capability to their homes and none of them owned RVs.

They each said the same thing, “Just in case”.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Intracoastal Waterway
In this case, it's a portion of the Atlantic part of the ICW.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks.......
Old 08-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
I think that would be very splendid of you to do that, sofmerc. It's not always easy to find campsites in FL these days, and some Escape owners might find your place very handy indeed. Be sure your homeowner's insurance will cover accidents suffered by invitees, though; it is always best to cover the bases just in case.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #13

Sorry for the ICW abbreviation. Intracoastal Waterway runs from Brownsville, Texas to Norfolk, VA and other inland parts up thought the Chesapeake Bay,Delaware Bay and NJ coast. This was an important part of the United States history. It was used to move ammunition on the Atlantic seaboard during WW 2 . German Subs couldn't get to these barge transport loads and sink them as was done on coastal runs. It remains a vibrant waterway on both the Gulf coast (GIWW) and Atlantic (AIWW)) for private yachts and limited commercial traffic
Old 08-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
If your municipality is like ours (and all the ones around us), they will have regulatory governance: restrictions, approvals, etc.

Check first, and avoid the hassles later.

We have a 30 Amp-120V circuit outside the garage, serving the RV pad next to the garage. City says: park the RV there, but don't live in it or rent it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Inter coastal waterway from New York to Brownsville, texas.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Inter coastal waterway from New York to Brownsville, texas.
NJ ICW ends at Sandy hook... Lower NY bay. ....
Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
If your municipality is like ours (and all the ones around us), they will have regulatory governance: restrictions, approvals, etc.

Check first, and avoid the hassles later.

We have a 30 Amp-120V circuit outside the garage, serving the RV pad next to the garage. City says: park the RV there, but don't live in it or rent it.
Hey Don! My neighbor- recently retired State Employee paid $30,000 to do a new engineered septic leach field. All inspected. I did same several years back using a contractor I've known for years and he did a leach pit for $1200- no inspections. YMMV- as CPA Dude sez: :We're from the Gov't and are here to help".
Old 08-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
It has crossed my mind a few times the past few years to do this but nothing ever came of it. We have 6 spots (water and elec) we used for transient workers for a long time but we no longer have temp workers. All of our harvest work is contracted and a lot of other stuff. Equipment is ungodly expensive!

I don't know that anyone would be interested if we did. This is certainly not a destination spot. We are 50 mi from Kingsville and absolutely nothing to do here, except fishing (salt water, Residential area is 200 meters from the coast).

Three gates to go thru from the main highway (US77) and they are closed at 9pm.
Roads not open to the public in any case but a tag would be worked out if we did this. My sons decision now and he ain't so hot for it.

If I were still running the place, I don't know what I would do.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2011 17B; Prior-2009 Escape-13B
You could sign up with hipcamp.com as a provider. It's like AirBnB for camp sites. I've stayed at 3 in WA; it's national.
One was a full hook up at somebody's house.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:22 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape
There's an app for that. Hipcamp.com. First thing I'd check before doing this would be my homeowner insurance situation.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote