RV Parking in Vancouver - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

RV Parking in Vancouver

Looking for RV parking in downtown Vancouver for the Olympics...any good leads?
MichelleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: RV Parking in Vancouver

Go to:

http://www.capilanorvpark.com/

But, lotsa luck. I'm sure it's already fully booked.

You could also Google RV Parks, Burnaby, B.C. and then Coquitlam, B.C. but that's as close as you're gonna get to downtown.

baglo
Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

Michelle, I infer from your question that you are unfamiliar with Vancouver. The western half of downtown Vancouver is one of the most densely populated places in North America. The eastern part is packed with commercial skyscrapers. During the Olympics, parking is going to be severely limited, street parking will be nearly impossible, and I won't be surprised to see lots charging $40 per day for cars.

The amazing thing is that the Capiliano park is so close to downtown. Surrey and Langley are farther out that the spots gbaglo mentioned, but are also worth a look. Be prepared to take transit buses downtown.

Do you have event tickets? For what events on what days?

And where are you located, btw?

Ron

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #4

We are in Seattle and do not of tickets yet. Also don't have a trailer yet, but are very close to calling Escape to place an order.

What do you guys think of this ad from craiglist:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/vac/1079883764.html

think it's legit? and what would you offer to pay them for a spot?

Thanks so much,
Michelle
MichelleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Welcome, Michelle,

I cannot say whether that is legit or not. I would not pay more than $50 in advance of arriving. That location is very convenient for hockey and medal ceremonies (downtown). Pretty good for curling (Main @ 30th). Not too bad for figure skating and short-track speed-skating (Renfrew @ Hastings), but you could do better. I'd say it is a poor choice for long-track speed-skating (Richmond), very poor for free-style alpine events (West Vancouver) and unacceptable for other mountain events (Whistler). I think that covers the events and locations - others will correct me.

There are very few event tickets left, and it is just stuff like preliminary rounds of curling. Canadian residents had first dibs, and bought up most of what was available in October. There was a second round in December. Right now, you cannot get tickets at all, but some will go on sale in the middle of the year. Visit http://vancouver2010.com , where I think you can get on a mailing list.

There are ticket brokers selling seats, but they may have come from seats allocated to International Olympic Committee members and event sponsors. If the organisers find out the tickets are from those sources, they will cancel the tickets. IOC and sponsors get about 1/3 of the seats, I believe.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with an Escape!

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #6

I've looked at Capilano - and if you are comfortable acting like a sardine then I would say go for it (assuming they have spots).

I think the best bet would be to stay further out (Fort Langley is very nice) and make the drive to the skytrain - thereby not taking your vehicle downtown at all.

My two cents
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitodirk
I've looked at Capilano - and if you are comfortable acting like a sardine then I would say go for it (assuming they have spots).

I think the best bet would be to stay further out (Fort Langley is very nice) and make the drive to the skytrain - thereby not taking your vehicle downtown at all.

My two cents
I would second that advise. Anyway, you won't be able to drive or park in the downtown area. If you did get a spot at Capilano, you wouldn't be able to go anywhere except by public transit. Personally, if I was you, I'd head as far in the opposite direction as I could get during Feb. 2010.
But, the newspaper wants all hands on deck so I can't leave town.

baglo