RV Parks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking to purchase
RV Parks

Is there a particular resource that recommends RV parks? I found Good Sam website. Maybe a particular book? Is there a magazine I should subscribe to so I can begin learning?

I don't have my TT yet, still researching. The kind of RV Park that we would be interested in finding would be one with mountains, streams, rivers, lakes---but full-hook ups. We love nature, the woods, trails, etc..., and don't care about pools etc...but would like Wi-Fi, and TV access.

Thanks for info!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 17
You have a smart phone? folks have listed some good apps here, handy while traveling.
campgroundreviews.com is a popular site
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks!
Dwain
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
You have a smart phone? folks have listed some good apps here, handy while traveling.
campgroundreviews.com is a popular site
And they have an iPhone app too, if that appeals to you. As does Good Sam.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Is there a particular resource that recommends RV parks? I found Good Sam website. Maybe a particular book? Is there a magazine I should subscribe to so I can begin learning?

I don't have my TT yet, still researching. The kind of RV Park that we would be interested in finding would be one with mountains, streams, rivers, lakes---but full-hook ups. We love nature, the woods, trails, etc..., and don't care about pools etc...but would like Wi-Fi, and TV access.

Thanks for info!
Dwain
I like the Allstays Camp and RV app.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

Thank you.
Dwain
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
What I have done is browse the various RV forums, (here, fgrv, camping world etc etc). They almost all have a "resort/camping review" section. Pick your area of choice.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

Thanks so much.
Dwain
Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
The kind of RV Park that we would be interested in finding would be one with mountains, streams, rivers, lakes---but full-hook ups. We love nature, the woods, trails, etc..., and don't care about pools etc...but would like Wi-Fi, and TV access. [/FONT][/COLOR]

The best natural areas are not compatible with WiFi and TV reception not to mention phone.

All you can do to be closest to those areas is to use state or national parks or Army Corps which will almost never have full hookups or such reception, and go to some private campgrounds on the way in or out. The private campgrounds will have all of that and laundry, and will cost for it, and you will often be right next to another RV. Or two or six.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Once we get expereince, I may venture into the State Parks. So, you are saying that for the the woods, privacy, and nature feel, the State Parks will be the best camp grounds?
Dwain
Old 05-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Once we get expereince, I may venture into the State Parks. So, you are saying that for the the woods, privacy, and nature feel, the State Parks will be the best camp grounds?
Dwain
Yes, state parks are generally very good that we have visited. No reason to wait on that. I assure you that you can manage just fine with no previous experience. There are often hosts and there are other campers around if you have a question.

For anyone older, the federal Senior Pass is a must and can be used at Army Corps sites. There is a book of their campgrounds with GPS info.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
[QUOTE=float5;198122]
Quote:
The kind of RV Park that we would be interested in finding would be one with mountains, streams, rivers, lakes---but full-hook ups. We love nature, the woods, trails, etc..., and don't care about pools etc...but would like Wi-Fi, and TV access. [/FONT][/COLOR]

The best natural areas are not compatible with WiFi and TV reception not to mention phone.

All you can do to be closest to those areas is to use state or national parks or Army Corps which will almost never have full hookups or such reception, and go to some private campgrounds on the way in or out. The private campgrounds will have all of that and laundry, and will cost for it, and you will often be right next to another RV.
There are exceptions to this. Some BLM campgrounds (Fishersman's Bend in Oregon is an example) have full hookup sites. Some Corps of Engineers campgrounds, for example, Maumelle Corps of Engineers Campground, Little Rock, AR have some full hookup sites, and most have at least water & electric, particularly those built on rivers & dams. As to state parks, they are some of my favorites. In the south, at least electric, and usually water is the norm, although dry camping prevails in the northeast.

While I have had fairly good luck with an external antenna & amplifier getting cell coverage (from Verizon) in most locations, I don't have TV so I can't help with that. Few federal campgrounds have WiFi unless operated by a concession, although a surprising number of State Parks have added it. The problem is once you get away from civilization, it is likely that the WiFi internet connection will be satellite based - slow & limited bandwidth. OK for reading mail, but that is about it.

It is worth spending some time on apps such as Allstays Camp & RV, etc to see what is available & what services they offer. The map view will give you an idea of closeness to rivers, lakes, etc...
Old 05-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I stumbled onto something called RV Parky. They also have a mobile app. It includes everything in RVParkreviews plus other search engines and reviews such as those posted on google. If you have location activated, it will show what's around you or you can search be geographic areas.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I've been in Walmart parking lots that had more of an outdoor feel / charm than many KOA's. When I go camping I want to see trees , water , birds , wildlife ,blue skies etc . If I want to see / play with a computer ,TV or talk on my cell phone, I stay home . State Parks in our area have camp sites with only one option , with or without electricity. The sites do not have water , sewer , WiFi , or cable TV. Works well for us.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've never found one resource that gave me everything I want. That's why I (and several others on the forum) use a multitude of tools to find sites. I use the Good Sam directory, (liked Woodalls better), Passport America, RV Parky, Free RV Campgrounds, Park Advisor, and a few others. Even just Google maps of RV parks and then individual websites sometimes. If there's one single resource that lists everything I need in one place, I am not aware of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks!
Dwain
Hi: Dwainkitchens... We were blown away by the Salt Springs CG. in Ocala Nat. Forest. Full hook ups 30+ TV channels and trees, paths, and of course the springs. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
20160201_130431.jpg   P1040292.jpg   P1040295.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #17

Thanks everyone!
Dwain
Old 05-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Dwain
My favorite campgrounds have nothing in common as for ownership. My short list includes one run by a city, one county, one state and one national park. In fact, I am hitting just about all of those this trip. And some have partial hookup, some have full hookups and some have no hookups. What they do share in common is awesome locations.

I have found to get a hookup of any kind at one of the more popular national parks takes reservations made months in advance. A hookup at Zion (electric only) takes a reservation six months in advance. The state parks in the Florida Keys are booked a year in advance! Meanwhile primitive sites at Zion are usually available weekdays if you arrive early.

If phone and Internet service is important to you, then on my short list only the city run campground qualifies. Many privately owned campgrounds have wifi, but they also tend to be crowded, noisy, tiny sites, and expensive. Oh yeah and the wifi if they have it is usually crappy!

My favorite city run CG? Clear Creek RV park, Golden, CO. Just a handful of sites, downtown Golden, walk to everything, always booked in advance. To get theee nights there this trip I had to arrive on a Sunday night and change sites on the second day.

The availability of wifi or cell phone coverage has never entered into my criteria.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Hi Dwain!
We use Allstays app. I think it is $9.99 but it is well worth the lettuce!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #20

Thank you.
Dwain