Tornado hits RV park in Foley, Alabama - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Tornado hits RV park in Foley, Alabama

A tornado hit an RV park in Foley, Alabama this afternoon, turning over several RVs. Fortunately no one was killed, but people had to be rescued from some of the tipped-over RVs.

BREAKING: Storm damage with injuries reported across WKRG viewing area - WKRG

I got the same line of thunderstorms but the high winds missed me. There was some damage in Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We are in the Tuscaloosa area (Deerlick Creek COE park) and had heavy rains and some brief winds but nothing serious. Hope all is well down south.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This RV Park at Pine Lake, Alberta in 2000 did not fair so well. My brother's secretary lost her husband there. I had done work for the two of them previously.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...le-were-killed
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
After a very long stretch of less than desirable camping weather in our neck of the woods, it appears the weather has turned to better times. Time to start paying more attention to the threats of storms, severe weather, hail and trees in poor condition in campgrounds and parking areas. It only takes a minute to stow the awning and other gear at bed time or when leaving the camp for a couple hours. To me it’s just smart camping. What’s the motto? Be Prepared.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Spring and Camping weather is here . The snow will be gone by the end of the this week , the ice will be off the lakes in about 2 weeks and temps are in the 50’s . The weatherman say spring will be only about 3 to 4 weeks long this year and then we will leap right into summer with all its’ thunderstorms and tornados
I am looking forward to the rhubarb season but not the 70 deg heat of summer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This RV Park at Pine Lake, Alberta in 2000 did not fair so well. My brother's secretary lost her husband there. I had done work for the two of them previously.

Pine Lake tornado: 16 years on, a look back at tragedy | Edmonton Journal
That's terrible.

I remember reading that although the South has fewer tornadoes than "Tornado Alley" (the plains states), the death toll in the South is higher because here the tornadoes tend to hit at night. We also don't have tornado sirens, at least locally, and rely upon broadcast for tornado warnings.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or maybe, it's because fewer people live in the plains states.
It's kinda like "bad accidents tend to happen in intersections" - so the less time you spend in an intersection, the safer you will be.
Ergo, speed up as you approach an intersection.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
That's terrible.

I remember reading that although the South has fewer tornadoes than "Tornado Alley" (the plains states), the death toll in the South is higher because here the tornadoes tend to hit at night. We also don't have tornado sirens, at least locally, and rely upon broadcast for tornado warnings.
We do not get that many tornadoes in Alberta. Just a few per year, though some have been quite bad.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Time to start paying more attention to the threats of storms, severe weather, hail and trees in poor condition in campgrounds and parking areas.
Trees can sometimes fool you as they look healthy and the problem is underground. Back in 2011 a man died when a tree fell on his tent while camping with his family at a NJ campground. Wife and three kids survived. This particular setting, Bull’s Island, is right along the Delaware River and routinely floods. Studies showed that the silting weakened the root systems over many, many years. Albeit a very rare circumstance be especially prudent when tucking in to waterfront spots along rivers that may experience flooding. This campground never reopened.

Somerset County man dies after tree falls on tent in Hunterdon County park | NJ.com
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19'
I'm currently staying on Lake Bistineau in Louisiana. A tornado came through last week just North of us ~10 miles and a 2 year old was killed in an RV when a tree fell on it. For two days the local news warned of tornadoes and I was awake and out of my trialer checking on the weather until the storm passed and the warning dropped. This family seemed to ignore the warnings and go to bed. The key is to stay informed and tuned in to local weather and not just ignore the warnings; very sad incident.
Wyo1 is offline   Reply With Quote