What do people think about staying at Nk'Mip - when there is no rally - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
What do people think about staying at Nk'Mip - when there is no rally

We are getting excited about the hatching of our 17b. The orientation is scheduled for August 14th. We are going to use a weekend or so learning how to tow the thing. We may use a professional driving school to make sure we are roadworthy. We are leaning towards staying at Nk'Mip Campground, Osoyos, BC for 6 nights. This will be our "maiden voyage" as we figure out how to back the thing up and how all the bells and whistles on the 17b work (solar, fridge and all that). All this learning in-between wine-tours of course. We may move on to another area if the spirit moves but are planning for a low stress time away to get acquainted with our trailer.

This leads us to reach out to Forum members for opinions about Nk'Mip RV campground. The 2014 Escape Gathering pictures show Nk'Mip as a nice enough campground. However, TripAdvisor Reviews are decidedly mixed (Nk'Mip Campground & RV Resort - Campground Reviews, Deals - Osoyoos, British Columbia - TripAdvisor).

Has anyone stayed there alone apart from the big gathering? Some reviewers had negative things to say about cleanliness, cramped sites, disinterested campground staff and loud campers. We realize that TripAdvisor reviews need to be read with some skepticism but there does appear to be some negative themes that emerge when reading through multiple posts. Of course there are some rave reviews also.

NK'MIP RV Park | Camping Osoyoos

Thanks for any info, Larry S
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd go back in a heartbeat, very clean and beautiful location.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I think your approach is wise when reading these reviews. When people don't like a product or place, they're quick to write a negative review, but when they are happy, it doesn't even occur to them to contribute. That being said, usually there is some merit to a disproportionate number of negative reviews. A few years ago when remodeling my kitchen, I replaced a 30-year-old Jenn-Air range without giving it much thought as the old one was wonderful. I spent $3000 on a piece of junk. Later I read the reviews and they were almost all negative. Wish I'd read them first.

Now back to Nk'Mip...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A lot of people who attend the rally stay on for several days. They are likely to move from the open area where the rally core is down to a lakefront site.

Getting a response to emails is hit and miss so I'd backup communication with a phone call.

Place is clean, services work. I've used sites like TripAdvisor for reviews, but I disregard many of the reviews. You get a sense. Or scents of the person posting.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The area used for the Escape rally is quite different in style from the lakeside sites... you may prefer one or the other, but I suggest checking out the park map and keeping in mind the location of site used by any reviewer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Here's my two cents worth. The lake front is simply gong show in the summer. Lots of partying, stereos and boat noise and everybody crammed together. We did not have a good experience there when we camped there in August 2012 . We will not stay in that area of the campground again. The area where the rally was held is quieter and more spread out. Normally, we would not stay in this type of campground and only do so at rally time because of the folks we meet. Other then that, we stick to the Provincial Parks or Forest Service sites. But there again, everyone's needs, likes and dislikes are different.

Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: LarryandLiz... Have you ever recommended a restaurant to a friend...then lived to regret it? I find reviews are like that!!!
We recommended a campground we really liked to some friends and while pulling out he cut the corner too close and smashed the door and step of his 5.0 on a hidden tree stump. YIKES Not my fault... but I felt really bad about it.
We enjoyed our stay at NK'Mip even though they put us in solitary confinement. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
20140607_150054.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Here's my two cents worth. The lake front is simply gong show in the summer. Lots of partying, stereos and boat noise and everybody crammed together.
Scott
That is Osoyoos in the summer. We rented a motel room on the lake many summers ago and I swear a drag boat was going to race through our unit. It seems some have boats to make as much noise as possible.
I too prefer forest service sites and provincial camp grounds.
If you don't mind rustic, and want to camp ( not park ), there are lots of places around Keromeos. We've enjoyed camping along the Ashnola river. Several forest service sites and private sites run by the local band.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I thought it was perfect for the Escape rally. Would I spend several days there? As others have said, it's a big, packed with people place, with all the attendant potential for lots of noise etc. It wouldn't be high on my list as a place to spend extra days.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #10

Thanks for all the comments. Our sense was that camping with a group like the Escape Rally is one experience and going as a one unit camper would be quite different. We've started researching the Keromeos area and look at what Liz found: Campground | The Grist Mill and Gardens at Keremeos. Check out the 2 classic eggs trailers along with their classic tugs! It has a tea room and hosts concerts from time to time.

We'll keep checking/reviews and such but we like the name of the place: The Grist Mill and Gardens - perhaps we are showing our age

Larry
Old 07-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
We attended the Escape Rally at Nk'Mip 2011, 2012 and 2013 but not this year. Instead we spent days at Okanagan Lake Provincial Park and Haynes Point Provincial Park which we prefer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_...7644689565940/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_...7645102704124/
What we like about these:
1. much quieter and closer to nature and more spacious
2. lake front and lake view campsites available
3. clean and well managed
4. reservable online

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Our favorite camp ground is Okanagan Lake Provincial Park (North) for the very reasons you've stated. Arguably the hardest camp site we've ever tried to book however. This year, using the booking system Provincial Parks now employ, it took 4 computers and 3 tries (days) to book 2 sites for 2 weeks.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

We totally appreciate all these ideas. Being inexperienced to towing we figured Nk'Mip could work for us (we know the road to Osoyoos, can probably back into an Nk'Mip site without to much drama). However, this morning we booked a 3-hour training session at Valley Driving ($90 per hour). So we feel more confident about choosing where to go for our "maiden voyage" and are researching other campgrounds. We want water and electricity for our first trip while we sort out all the trailer's technology and will probably wait till next year before we venture into provincial campgrounds.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #14

That narrows things down some ( elec. and water ).
Take a look at Moonshadow in Merritt. Moon Shadows RV Park and Campground - Merritt BC, Canada
We enjoyed a stay there two or three years ago. Water, septic and electric sites near the Coldwater River. Not jammed with motorhomes when we were there.
A few minutes drive to downtown for groceries, a latte and beer.
It appeared to have become run down after owner had a heart attack, but last I heard it was back in shape.
There are drive through sites, and, if you want to try boon docking, you could just move further back, away from the "crowds" ( and closer to the river ).
Couple hours on the road and you can be at the Grist Mill in Keremeos. Best check availability. There is a foodie event taking place there sometime soon and they only have limited sites.

Clayburn RV Park is also in Merritt, if you like the sounds of a lumber mill running 24/7. It has a free sani-dump and there is another free dump at Canadian Tire.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #15

Some Moonshadow pix. We first stayed there in 2007. How time flies.
Attached Thumbnails
Moonshadow 1.jpg   Moonshadow2.jpg   Moonshadow 3.jpg   Moonshadow 4.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #16

Wherever you choose to stay. Make sure you have a pressure reduction valve for your fresh water hose. Moonshadow water pressure was quite high.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
baglo, is live bait legal?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Is that bait? I thought that is what he caught!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #19

Is is what I caught.
I'm a fly fisherman. I'm Not a bait fisher!
Fly was larger than the fish.
Catch and release, I say.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I'm here at Moon Shadows now. Shower house etc is very clean. Sites are a bit in even but we got a level site. $35.00 for full service!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote