What's up with Provincial Parks these days? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: '07 17B
What's up with Provincial Parks these days?

We just got back from 4 days camping at Little Qualicum falls (beautiful spot!). We had an entire road loop all to ourselves the whole time!! When we left yesterday, we drove around the campground & it was only 1/2 full! This is the last long weekend of the summer when things are supposed to be packed isn't it? There was a campfire ban on, but i don't think that could be the only reason for such low numbers. Any ideas?
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #2

Re: What's up with Provincial Parks these days?

--goofey reservation system and having to pay higher rate even when park is not full. all things that just tick people off.
--negative publicity all summer media saying not to go in the woods.
--I have found vacanceys all summer around resorts etc. just drop in without reservation and most seem to have room.
--Maybe people just sticking close to home. I'd usually be camping this weekend not on line, its feeling like late fall here already.
skaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: '07 17B

Yes, i think the reservation system leaves a lot to be desired! I liked the first-come-first-served idea. Also, without getting into politics, back when they had park interpreters, there was a lot more for kids to do.......
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I do think that their should be a part of each campground that you can reserve, and part where it is first come. I always hated the politics of getting a site, in that you had to go around to find out who was going to leave, and if you could have that site. I hated bugging people, almost as much as I hated being bugged by 20 different people that saw I was leaving by the posting on the site number post.

We used to use the BC PP's lots when our kids were young, and really enjoyed the evening activities they had at them. They were both informative and fun for all of us. Have they stopped doing this with the privatization of the services?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #5

--I agree, I don't have a problem with a portion of the site being available for reserve, especially if you had a larger group of several responsible campers like escapee's that wanted to camp together.

--I have camped in my camper outside the gate at little qualicum beside the sign that says no overnight parking. Got over on a late ferry and didn't feel like safe to drive further when I was tired.

--Oh yah did I mention that there were empty reserved sites. If you have enough money paying for a night that you don't use is an option. I could be more forgiving and say maybe they just missed the last ferry and had intended to be there.
skaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

We stayed at Kettle River Provincial Park and were asked to participate in a survey of camper satisfaction. It appears that they are attempting to improve campers' experience, asking what works for them. I don't know if there is a separate survey for the general public, but I suspect that if you go to the BC Parks site and send your concerns to the contact, you will get a response.

baglo