Aerospace 303 vs Poliglow - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I seem to recall that BTS and Aerospace 303 are manufactured by the same company?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I seem to recall that BTS and Aerospace 303 are manufactured by the same company?
Nope. BTS is still made by the original company (Dynovatech is what they call themselves legally). 303 was made by 303 Industries, but was recently bought out by Eagle. The labeling has changed for 303 since they merged with Eagle, and some people claim they've since changed the formula, making it an inferior product. I have some of the "new" 303 and some with the original label, and there's no difference.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I don't know how waxes protect from UV but apparently they do. I thought that most do not have a UV inhibitor but a couple do. Reace has said that they biggest enemy of fiberglass trailers is UV. That is the only reason we use 303: it is a UV inhibitor.

We wash the trailer first ourselves because we found that others use pressure hoses that are said to damage gel coat, and they can damage everything else, too. So we just do it ourselves once or twice a year with the 303. We may use pressure hoses sometimes but we are careful with them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Hi, very interesting to us, as we are about to pick up our new 5.0TA. It will be our 5th and last I'm sure trailer, and we are delighted in the Escape experience so far. I joined this thread because on our previous trailers we used ProtectAll, with excellent results. As an example, when we traded in a 10yr old trailer, it looked like new, with no graphics fade, and we got a compliment from the dealer, instead of the usual trailer trashing so they can low-ball you. Does anyone have experience with ProtectAll? Look forward to your comments.
traveller1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The last three years the Meguiars Premium Marine wax http://amzn.to/1OTOKzE I've been using is amazing and does have UV protection. I try and apply it twice a year, but if you miss one no big deal, because it lasts.
I use the 303 on the decals when I wax.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The last three years the Meguiars Premium Marine wax http://amzn.to/1OTOKzE I've been using is amazing and does have UV protection. I try and apply it twice a year, but if you miss one no big deal, because it lasts.
I use the 303 on the decals when I wax.
Hi Greg, we have a new trailer and want to protect the gelcoat now so bugs & dirt are easier to clean, and to minimize sun damage. Ideally we would repeat applications annually maybe twice a year if it isn't a big effort (ex hand apply and hand buff on a 21 would be a big effort).

Do you think this wax would do the job regarding bugs, dirt and UV? It sounds like this wax is easy to buff out so that's good!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #27

I've had nothing but positive experiences with it in ease of application, removal and protection. All done very easily by hand, no mechanical buffer needed as that can add swirls. Everyone that has ended up trying this product has the same feedback as I've experienced and the boat people speak very highly of it.
I won't put this on our new 19 till spring as I want the new gel coat to settle in a bit before I apply first wax, but then I'll do spring and fall schedule.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
If I had a new trailer I would make sure it is very clean first and then apply a quality carnauba wax that has no additives using clean towels to apply and buff. Some products have abrasive substances to remove oxidation which you will not need with a new trailer (amounts of abrasive substances varies by product and can be identified by reading the label for extent of oxidation it removes). I would try to keep a good coat of wax on the trailer all the time so you don't get oxidation and then have to start using abrasive waxes or wet sand the gel coat.

Carnauba waxes provide a deep shine, liquid forms are easier to apply but pastes give the best shine. Synthetic waxes provide good UV protection and are generally easy to apply but do not provide the shine that carnauba waxes provide.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We were just washing and waxing (NuFinish) our Escape, and noted again that the 303 has worked great for us on the awning. I bought the fabric version for it and our Sunsetter deck awning, but I think either type might work. It seems to help keep the vinyl of the awning very slippery to dirt and I think the UV protection should help the material last longer.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #30

Hey Eric,
Thanks for the 303 feedback on the awning. I put it on the awning when it was rolled up to protect the section that is exposed in storage. When I unrolled it camping it had a great looking section up by the roof where I applied it, so I wanted to do the whole awning with it. Looks kinda funky unrolled with the 1 foot protected section.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Hey Eric,
Thanks for the 303 feedback on the awning. I put it on the awning when it was rolled up to protect the section that is exposed in storage. When I unrolled it camping it had a great looking section up by the roof where I applied it, so I wanted to do the whole awning with it. Looks kinda funky unrolled with the 1 foot protected section.
Greg that exposed section probably should get extra coats every so often since it is always exposed the UV. Thanks for that reminder.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #32

Good idea, Eric. Probably about every month or so in AZ I'm thinking.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #33

As I was climbing up the ladder to put 303 on the vents and AC cover, then also applying and wiping the NuFinish, it made me consider when we get the new 21, just using 303 all over the roof and NuFinish on all the front, back and sides. I know the 303 does a great job of protecting the gel coat from UV and the only downsides seems to be that it needs to be applied more often than a good polymer polish like NuFinish or a good wax, and that is does not gives as much shine. But it sure would be easier to just spray onto everything on the top and give it a quick wipe and the shine isn't visible on the top to anyone anyway.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #34

Eric,
The Meguiar's Premium Marine wax was so easy on and off that I don't think I'd want to be doing the roof as often as 303 would require. If you only did the roof once a year the Meguiars would still be giving protection, where the 303 you'd probably have to do every 1-3 months.
Never used the NuFinish so I don't know much about it.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Eric, you can buy the 303 in 55 gallon drums. At that point you can choose to paint the entire trailer with a paint roller or use a tank sprayer to cover those areas you choose.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Eric, you can buy the 303 in 55 gallon drums. At that point you can choose to paint the entire trailer with a paint roller or use a tank sprayer to cover those areas you choose.
Maybe I can get a dip tank.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Eric,
The Meguiar's Premium Marine wax was so easy on and off that I don't think I'd want to be doing the roof as often as 303 would require. If you only did the roof once a year the Meguiars would still be giving protection, where the 303 you'd probably have to do every 1-3 months.
Never used the NuFinish so I don't know much about it.

NuFinish lasts us a year too. I'm just getting old and lazy I fear Just had my Medicare birthday

Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Sandra,
Over on SOI we have extensive posts on trailer waxing and prep. Just look in the maintenance table of contents for the posts. I use 3M Marine restorer/wax if there is chalking, and then finish with Meguiars Premium RV/Marine wax. Awesome stuff and easy to do.
Greg - what is SOI?

I want to restore the gelcoat on our trailer roof before I get a solar panel installed. We have lots of chalking and oxidation and black dots all over the roof. I have quotes from a few local auto detailers and they were in the $600 range so I am going to tackle this in my spare time

I have read through quite a few posts on the forum. I plan to use the 3M Marine Fibreglass Restorer and Wax on the roof and upper sides and 3M Marine Fibreglass Cleaner and Wax on the lower sides that are only lightly oxidized. I will follow-up with a RV/Marine wax probably Meguiars as suggested. I ordered a Porter Cable 6" Variable-Speed Polisher to help speed this job up.

I still need to figure out the best product to use to wash the trailer to remove the oxidation, bugs, dirt, etc. I also need to pick up some polishing and buffing pads for the polisher. Does anyone have any suggestions?
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #39

msweet -- Baglo's son-in-law is a pro at this stuff. Hopefully Glenn will have some suggestions about what he uses.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think Msweet is already well on the way to restoring shine with the products chosen.