Air conditioner in Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
Air conditioner in Escape

Hello,

If you have factory installed AC, how has it fared? Any leaks or problems to be aware of?

Thank you!
BlueIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Other then how loud the thing is, my 2014 works fine. Occasionally the compressor won't shut off, gets a bit chilly when it get down to 62 or so. Cycling the digital thermometer clears it so I've not brought it in for service. The newer Escapes have a different thermometer, may be a moot point if that is the cause of the issue.

Reading one of the big RV forums back in 2008 or so it was found the screws for the rooftop A/C's needed to be snugged once in a while to prevent leaks. I had done so with my Starcraft but have yet to check the Escape.

If you want A/C, I'd say go for it, I'm glad I did.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have it in the 19'.. used it exactly two times.. first time to see if it works and another time when I was doing work inside the trailer when parked next to the house... for us it is way too loud to be useful... we also don't have hookups most of the time (I'd say 90% of the time so far). probably would go without one if we are getting an escape today.

no problem with the unit itself.. no leak. it does reduce the inside clearance a little (under the unit) so might have to watch your head if you are taller or in my case when I'm using a step stool to get to the top of the kitchen cabinet.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:44 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not to argue as we all have different views, but on one of our 1st trips was to Utah in the fall, it hit 100. Being a New Englander, I wouldn't be able to sleep in such temps, you folks are Californians, might not be a big deal. To me the A/C paid for itself the 2 nights I needed it that trip. I don't care for the noise level either, but I'll suffer with that over the high heat. Don't use it much but I'm sure glad I have it when I need it. Guess finding a hotel would work too. As it was we left Hovenweep and drove to Bluff just to find hookups.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Used ours in the California Desert last year when the temp hit 90. Worked great not too loud. You don’t need it until you need it.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Reading one of the big RV forums back in 2008 or so it was found the screws for the rooftop A/C's needed to be snugged once in a while to prevent leaks.
Maybe, but this would presumably vary by air conditioner brand (and fastener size and design) and RV builder (and corresponding assembly work). I went eight years and tens of thousands of kilometres with the air conditioners (two of the stupid things) on my motorhome without touching those screws, and when I removed one of the dying Carrier units to replace it the bolts were still plenty tight, and the gasket well compressed, with no signs of a leak. The motorhome is always left outside.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My Escape is a 2014. I have been very satisfied with my AC. I feel the noise level is reasonable - much quieter than other people’s generators. The thermostat works well keeping the temperature where I want it.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
No leaks, no problems in 4 years of service. Unless you call it sounding like a jet engine turbine one foot away from your ears a 'problem'. [emoji23]

Still, when it's hot and humid, it's better than melting. We do find however that we avoid camping in those conditions most of the time, so the AC doesn't get used on most trips.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Both of ours have woorked well with no problems. We used it the first night we picked up the 19 and knew the noise level was somewhat elevated but doesn’t really bother either of us. On the 19, I had it on once inside our building to cool the trailer down for loading. The trailer was absolutely level. Some water appeared on the floor. I snuggled up the gasket/mounting bolts, no additional problems that year. The next year I removed the cover just to look things over. Where the wiring is routed through the sheet metal framework there is a soft puttylike caulk. The heat that the roof had experienced caused the caulk to sag leaving a couple holes through the tin. This allowed the condensate water to be blown to the “wrong” side and no doubt caused the leak. I pushed the caulk/ putty back in place. Never had another problem. When I use the 21 in hot weather, I leave the front of the trailer very slightly elevated so condensate water can run off the backside. These are operational procedures for me and in no way any any criticism of the two units we have had. An 85 or 90 degree day with 90% humidity and hookups, the noise is nothing compared to a comfortable night’s sleep for me.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When I use the 21 in hot weather, I leave the front of the trailer very slightly elevated so condensate water can run off the backside.

I laughed over this. Last summer I was using the a/c a lot due to all the hot weather I was experiencing in the Midwest. Since I hadn't really used the a/c back home in the PNW, I didn't realize this would happen. As I was raising the front of the trailer to hitch up, I heard this gushing and thudding noise and wondered WTF? Turns out it was a bunch of water coming off the back end of the trailer from the a/c and hitting the ground. I didn't hear any yelping, so fortunately there weren't any dog walkers behind the trailer at the time checking out the cat decals.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Three angles in life
Dead
Dead Level
Slightly tilted.
I’ve always been slightly tilted so the water runs off my Neandrathal skull. And I have been known to tilt at windmills.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19'
I think camping style matters... and camping style might also change after obtaining the trailer.. this is our first trailer with 4 walls and a roof.. we wanted the AC because we thought we could make use of the hook up sites.. or the power requirement (battery) will justify carrying a generator with us to be able to run the AC as well.. turns out neither was the case.. I'm sure if we get stuck in 90F+ or high humidity weather more we'll not care about the noise either.

Also we tend to camp in mild weather (I call that not being able to go too far from CA), having the trailer extended our camping days but that seems to call for more cold days (furnace) than hot days (AC).
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Last year was the first time we really needed the AC. During the day the noise was tolerable but not at night when we were tring to sleep and that's because the unit is almost directly over the bed. We ended up getting those soft ear plugs you roll up tight and then put in your ear. That worked great and we were able to get a decent night's sleep.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Last year was the first time we really needed the AC. During the day the noise was tolerable but not at night when we were tring to sleep and that's because the unit is almost directly over the bed. We ended up getting those soft ear plugs you roll up tight and then put in your ear. That worked great and we were able to get a decent night's sleep.
We do the same thing. Mack's ear plugs are very soft and comfortable, and allow us to sleep soundly on the rare occasions where we have to run the AC all night. The only thing I don't care for is, they make you unaware of sounds you might actually need to hear in case of an emergency. But, I wear them anyway. Fortunately since we don't camp normally where and when it's hot, that isn't very often.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
So, these posts got me to test out the A/C in our new E-21. As others have noted, it cools and in the process also produces much noise. Noise level reminds me of a kerosene shop heater. Same type of "jet engine"noise. Glad it works as 100 degree days in the Southwest are not too far away. For tonight though, have to turn the thermostat back to heat mode so the furnace will come on as needed.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Just out of curiosity , which Escape trailer sizes and model years have the Air conditioners with the noise issues ? . The A/C on our 2018 -21 FT is very quiet and we can barely hear it run .
Casita had a A/C noise issue after they changed air conditioner models
The new model from Coleman had a poorly designed fan blade
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps some of the noise is caused by the a/c being on high fan vs low fan. If you lower the fan speed via the thermostat it is more quiet. The instructions for the thermostat gives you the details.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Just out of curiosity , which Escape trailer sizes and model years have the Air conditioners with the noise issues ? . The A/C on our 2018 -21 FT is very quiet and we can barely hear it run .
I'm assuming the AC noise would be more bothersome in a 19' or a 17' with the rear bed in use as in those two configurations the AC unit is closer to the bed. With the 21' and 5.0 TA the bed is further away so may not be as bad.

I can't speak to the variations of models year to year. It was pretty loud in our 19' the couple of times we used it but was also a welcome relief from the heat.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On the 21, the A/C is in the middle of the trailer with the bed "headboard" at the end of the trailer. That is not the case in the other models and could be the reason that some feel that the A/C is loud. If it's right over your head, it's going to sound louder.

I agree - the A/C in my trailer is fairly quiet unless I'm standing directly under it.

p.s. I still miss the Coleman Polar Cub I had in the Casita - great A/C.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I still miss the Coleman Polar Cub I had in the Casita - great A/C.
Here here! A friend with a Casita SD has the Polar Cub. Remarkably quieter than ours. The Penguin II may be "low profile" but it's certainly not low noise.