Are you doing your maintenance? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #61

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
The bolt heads without grease fittings will have a nylon type bushing they don't require grease the ones with grease fittings will have a brass or bronze bushing they need a shot of grease every trip out over 2000 ks or so .. You can get all pins that have grease fittings if you want . The grease able pins are best if in fact they are actually greased. The nylon bushings are cheap that's why they are there . All these moving parts are subject to ware and over time will need replaced. The trick is to keep an eye on them and replace just the bushings before the pins ware through the springs and hangers . If the axels track side to side more than when new, while parking and cornering That's an early sign the bushings are worn.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
The bolt heads without grease fittings will have a nylon type bushing they don't require grease the ones with grease fittings will have a brass or bronze bushing they need a shot of grease every trip out over 2000 ks or so .. You can get all pins that have grease fittings if you want . The grease able pins are best if in fact they are actually greased. The nylon bushings are cheap that's why they are there . All these moving parts are subject to ware and over time will need replaced. The trick is to keep an eye on them and replace just the bushings before the pins ware through the springs and hangers . If the axels track side to side more than when new, while parking and cornering That's an early sign the bushings are worn.
This may be a stupid question ? But is this something on all our trailers ? On our 19 ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #63

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My last trailer, single axle leaf springs, had the plastic bushings. While chasing down the cause of tire issues it was suggested to check the suspension. The bolts ended up elongating the holes in the mounting brackets and shackles. Had to have a welder come by and replace the brackets. The bushings were worn through in 1 side. I should probably check them as I have a lot more miles on the Escape then I had on the Starcraft, but I'm retired and have no time for such things. Tomorrow is bass fishing day.

Wet bolts were suggested as a possible preventative, I have yet to try such.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
This may be a stupid question ? But is this something on all our trailers ? On our 19 ? Pat
I believe it's for leaf spring suspension only, early 5.0TA's.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I believe it's for leaf spring suspension only, early 5.0TA's.
Thankyou Bob . Pat
Old 07-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
My last trailer, single axle leaf springs, had the plastic bushings. While chasing down the cause of tire issues it was suggested to check the suspension. The bolts ended up elongating the holes in the mounting brackets and shackles. Had to have a welder come by and replace the brackets. The bushings were worn through in 1 side. I should probably check them as I have a lot more miles on the Escape then I had on the Starcraft, but I'm retired and have no time for such things. Tomorrow is bass fishing day.

Wet bolts were suggested as a possible preventative, I have yet to try such.
Now I want a heavy duty suspension upgrade. Wonder if this is the kit?: https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Axle-K.../dp/B004RCRA6O
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Now I want a heavy duty suspension upgrade. Wonder if this is the kit?: https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Axle-K.../dp/B004RCRA6O
Close, assuming that the spring width is right (get out your ruler and check), but it includes a couple of substantial parts that you don't need, because you (presumably) have the E-Z Flex units:
Quote:
Equalizer x 2 (013-104-03)
It appears from the Dexter Axle suspension components page that you could probably use "K71-358-00: Heavy Duty Suspension Kit" (US$71.50 from Amazon.com) but it is for a single axle so you would need two of them... which cost more than the tandem kit with the surplus equalizer rockers. I suppose you can just give away the equalizers, or use them as paperweights.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 AM   #68

That's a nice upgrade . But be sure the pin centers are the same and pin diameter is ok.
You may need a suspension shop to do the install . The springs are usually removed to do the bushing install with a press . It can get involved if heat is needed to remove frozen bolts.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #69

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Okay, Richard, you are very ambitious! Just to mention that most of us have 50 psi on the tires but I understand that that has changed on new Escapes.

For 30 gallons of fresh water, you need 1/2 cup bleach. It is 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. Contact we were last told here by a "water sanitation expert" is at least 4 hours.

The other item that I would mention is that a locksmith once told me never to use WD40 on locks or it will mess them up. Believe he said to use something such as Tri-Flow.

Graphite on locks OK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Graphite on locks OK?

Yes, that person may not have mentioned it as he was talking Tri-Flow but I have seen graphite given a number of times as the best to use.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Graphite on locks OK?

The lock shop I had make an extra set of trailer keys suggested Lock-Ease, it's "graphited". Got to be a little careful, the graphite running down from the lock leaves a streak, black fingers too.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #72

Quote:
The lock shop I had make an extra set of trailer keys suggested Lock-Ease, it's "graphited". Got to be a little careful, the graphite running down from the lock leaves a streak, black fingers too.

Yeah, those black fingers make me look like I've been working hard!

After causing mess with my car locks once-upon-a with WD-40, a tiny puff of graphite works great.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Not to derail the thread about trailer maintenance....but I see a lot of folks broken down alongside the road with TV problems. Mostly blown water hoses or transmission issues probably.

I'd highly suggest following the regular maintenance schedule suggested for your vehicle for all of your fluids, hoses, belts, filters, brakes, etc. I travel from Seattle WA to Bend OR multiple times a month for taking care of my mom. And I can safely say I see at least one to four TV's on the side of the road with the hood up and something dripping badly beneath them. Nothing kills a vacation quicker than a dead TV on the road side.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
And some of that comes from towing a too heavy trailer with an inadequate tow.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #75

Ya like towing a 19 or a 21 with a Tacoma or a150 with a itty bitty 2.5 Ha !...
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #76

I know what you mean. My tug's a 2011 RAV with a 6. Just ok for a 17 but didn't want to buy a Tundra.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
...after every trip throughly clean trailer , refrigerator , stove , floors , wax the wood , basically detail the inside trailer . Trailer still smells new .Have wheel sensors so I can check tires even in the house for air pressure.
Will repair anything that needs attention . I think that is it. Pat
May I ask what you use to wax your interior wood? I've not done that, but I think it might be a great idea for longevity. I say that this is the only trailer we are ever using :-)

~Jackie
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:57 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
May I ask what you use to wax your interior wood? I've not done that, but I think it might be a great idea for longevity. I say that this is the only trailer we are ever using :-)

~Jackie
Yes and furniture wax , polish . We have tge oak interior . Would also with the new birch . Not the white though . Pat
Old 03-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #79

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post

~Jackie
I'm curious what "interior wood" y'all are 'waxing'?

Maybe different in older Escapes, but in my 2021 all of the exposed 'wood' is actually 'wood-grained vinyl film' bonded to the paneling and trim pieces?
Old 03-20-2022, 09:43 PM   #80
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'm curious what "interior wood" y'all are 'waxing'?

Maybe different in older Escapes, but in my 2021 all of the exposed 'wood' is actually 'wood-grained vinyl film' bonded to the paneling and trim pieces?
All the cabinet doors are actual wood. At least with the oak interior...

I'd use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean and polish the doors.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote