Avoiding Winterizing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Windshield wiper fluid usually contains methanol. Both are toxic. As little as one tablespoon of ethylene glycol can cause kidney failure or death. Even smaller amounts of methanol, one teaspoon, can cause blindness or death.
Antifreeze and Windshield Wiper Fluid › Connecticut Poison ...

poisoncontrol.uchc.edu/about_poisons/garage/.../antifreeze_english.html
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is only being used to flush the toilet with, not flush the water lines. Sorry for the confusion about flushing....
Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #23

Jim,

Maybe fix your original post?

baglo
Old 11-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Jim,

Maybe fix your original post?

baglo
Done, sorry about the confusion over flushing the toilet vs flushing the water lines....
Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #25

Now we need to deal with posts suggesting using Coca Cola to remove bugs and tar, wax, silicone, for shining mag wheels and lubing wheel bearing.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is only being used to flush the toilet with, not flush the water lines. Sorry for the confusion about flushing....
I understood it, thought you were clear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #27

I make a point of saying "RV antifreeze ( pink stuff )" because there are new people joining forums all the time and they might not understand correctly.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
And toilet flushing is such an anal subject.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I will so miss the low-point drain on my 2009 19. That was so nice and easy to use. Nothing to do but open the drain and valves.
Reace told us that they removed it because the toilet valve changed and draining won't remove the water from it due to a check valve, and he had to replace a lot of toilets.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Reace told us that they removed it because the toilet valve changed and draining won't remove the water from it due to a check valve, and he had to replace a lot of toilets.
I had heard this. I sure wish there was a valve that drained back and cleared. Oh well, blowing or lines is not too tough.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 E19
Rather than make a new thread, I'll post in this old one. I want to avoid winterizing for now. Currently my fresh tank is half full, the black and gray are empty (I dumped yesterday on my way out of the CG). A cold front came in and the low temps will be around 25*F for about 3 nights (highs in the 40s) but then it should turn normal again (lows in the 40s and 50s!) for a few more weeks. I intend to run an electric cube heater in the 19' and I think I probably should turn on the water heater, too. My question: if I drain the fresh tank, that shouldn't siphon the water out of the water heater, right? I don't want to burn the thing out.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:23 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Once water goes into the hot water tank it doesn’t come out unless it’s pumped out, pressured out by incoming city water and replaced or Drained out by pulling the anode.
That’s been my experience on our 2013 21.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:25 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Rather than make a new thread, I'll post in this old one. I want to avoid winterizing for now. Currently my fresh tank is half full, the black and gray are empty (I dumped yesterday on my way out of the CG). A cold front came in and the low temps will be around 25*F for about 3 nights (highs in the 40s) but then it should turn normal again (lows in the 40s and 50s!) for a few more weeks. I intend to run an electric cube heater in the 19' and I think I probably should turn on the water heater, too. My question: if I drain the fresh tank, that shouldn't siphon the water out of the water heater, right? I don't want to burn the thing out.
  • Water should never siphon back into a storage tank.
  • To be 100% safe, don't apply power to the water heater until turning on the pump (or connecting to city water).
  • The most vulnerable part of the system is the dump valves. Pour some "pink stuff" down the toilet and sink(s) to protect the valves.
  • If the temps are slightly below freezing at night and above freezing during the day then large volumes of water (like the 6 gallons in your insulated water heater) will settle to a temperature above freezing.
  • Running both a cube heater and the hot water tank simultaneously would exceed the power limit of a single ordinary household circuit.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
We're getting the same winter blast here in NM you are. Personally, I would drain the hot water heater. Hate to waste 6 gallons of water but I don't want to deal with a ruined HWH either. To answer your question, your fresh tank will not pull the water out of the hot water heater.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I don't mind blowing out the lines. Gave me a good excuse to buy a little compressor.
beebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Same weather here, I went ahead and did the winterizing, figured I could use the practice.
I’m guessing with a heater in the camper and the seat propped up it won’t freeze up.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:24 PM   #37

Thanks, all.

My water heater is gas, so no problem with the electric draw.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:25 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
One thing about living in Iowa. No doubt about winterizing. You just do it because it can dip too low pretty fast especially if your camper is not in a building
Iowa Dave
Old 10-29-2023, 06:51 PM   #39

I suppose I might have emptied the water heater if it hadn't been raining practically nonstop since I got back home from the campground yesterday. I figure, why stand in the rain long enough to pull the anode when I have an easier way.

Dave, I'm glad I don't live any farther north. I grew up in Michigan, and yup the camping season is much shorter up north. But here I have no doubt I'll be able to get another week or two during November, and maybe even in December. Heh, I remember one year we were walking around in short sleeves in late December, looking at the nearby Christmas lights.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
I don't mind blowing out the lines. Gave me a good excuse to buy a little compressor.
I carry a 1 gallon ryobi compressor in the trailer with a quick release adapter fitting to connect to the city water connection. I can drain and blow the lines in about 15 minutes. I’ve done it one the road when we hit a couple of days of cold temps when traveling in the mountains.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote