Bathroom vent leaking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Bathroom vent leaking

Last night it rained hard in Thomson and even after closing the vent water leaked in. Checked it this morning before leaving and it seems to be tight. There is a foam seal in the vent that is dry and broken. Can it be replaced? Where can I find the part? The sealant used appears to have been placed before the vent and cleaned up after. Any tip and clues are appreciated. TIA.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Last night it rained hard in Thomson and even after closing the vent water leaked in. Checked it this morning before leaving and it seems to be tight. There is a foam seal in the vent that is dry and broken. Can it be replaced? Where can I find the part? The sealant used appears to have been placed before the vent and cleaned up after. Any tip and clues are appreciated. TIA.
You can get some foam sealing material at any home improvement store to replace . Under our fan I found replacing the butyl stops leaks . Clean old material there and replace with new . I use plastic putty knives to clean on fiberglass . If needed Acetone and rags too. You want a clean surface before sealing . I also covered the screws with a little sealant . That should take care . Make sure the hood isn’t cracked anywhere too. If it is that would need to be replaced . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Someone mentioned this sealant on another thread.. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT64Z51...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 09-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Hi Steven
My bathroom vent on the 19 leaked once too. I used a plastic chisel from Harbor freight to clean off the original sealant and used butyl tape and foam. I sealed the screw heads with a drop or two of proflex. Since then I’ve gone to clear Lexel sealant for those tiny jobs. Hope you had a good time at Thomson, thought about you when I was picking poblanos in the garden yesterday.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Steven
My bathroom vent on the 19 leaked once too. I used a plastic chisel from Harbor freight to clean off the original sealant and used butyl tape and foam. I sealed the screw heads with a drop or two of proflex. Since then I’ve gone to clear Lexel sealant for those tiny jobs. Hope you had a good time at Thomson, thought about you when I was picking poblanos in the garden yesterday.
Iowa Dave
And you said what different ? Just curious unless you were agreeing with me Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Response

I know Steven. I added that I used a plastic chisel and where I bought it. I named two
Sealants that I have used with success. I missed camping around him last weekend like I have for the last three years on the corresponding weekend. I know he likes fresh vegetables as I gave him some last year. I did not disagree with anyone, was not confrontational and was sincere when I took this opportunity to correspond with him. I will continue to write what I want when I want and unless moderators find it offensive ( which they sometimes do) I’m not at all concerned if I duplicate, replicate or parrot previous answers or if someone does the same regarding any of my posts. I have yet to encounter anyone who can stop me. I’m not hard to find.
Iowa Dave