Battery Disconnect Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Battery Disconnect Question

Hi Group,
I performed a search first before asking this question but could not find a definitive answer or perhaps I just did not understand other threads so I wanted to ask for clarity here:

When the label under the seat cushion says “ battery disconnect on, except when in storage”
If the disconnect is on, doesn’t that mean the battery is disconnected? So when it’s in storage, why would you connect the battery? Seems backwards to me…..

Here is my situation, when one winterizes BUT keeps the trailer plugged in at home all winter do you still leave the battery disconnect switch on or battery disconnect switch turn off? Currently I am plugged in, plan to stay plugged in all winter while the trailer is not in use as recommended to me (unless someone tells me this is a bad idea). Not sure where the switch should be based on what the label says.

Thanks all! Sorry if this has been beat to death. I’m probably over thinking it. My disconnect switch is “on” right now. Plugged in to shore power and stored for winter,
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leave it the way you have it. ON. Your battery will stay charged via your converter and all of your 12 volt lights and outlets will remain hot. If you turn it to off, your 12 volt system components are without power till you flip it to on again.

Every once in a while we are using 12 volt captains lights or ceiling lights while not connected to shore power and one of the grandkids is “worming around” at the table and trying to slide out underneath the table and they run across the switch. Lights out till the switch is flipped back to on.

If you’re not on shore power and you want to eliminate battery draining “parasitic draw or loads” in the winter you would make sure your battery is fully charged and then flip the switch to OFF.
Hope this helps and hope to see you at the Wine Escape next fall.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #3

Thanks Dave, would I only turn the battery disconnect to off when changing batteries when needed some day? And since I have solar, any precautions there for changing the two 6v lead acids?
Old 01-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #4

You’re right on the switch. I’ve not changed my batteries but I believe those who have changed batteries usually cover the panels with something to block any light. Someone else will weigh in on this.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Open and Closed might be better nomenclature for the battery disconnect switch since off & on can be confusing. In any case, as Escape labels it, on is closed, and off is open.

As to disconnecting the batteries, if you use the disconnect switch, the solar controller is still connected to the battery side of the switch. If you are going to physically disconnect the terminals to the battery, be sure to also disconnect the solar panels from the controller. Solar panels powering the controller without a battery connection can damage the controller.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #6

Great info! Just what I needed, thanks Dave and Jon.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #7

Thanks Jon.
I appreciate your information. I have 4 1/2 years on the lead acid batteries in the 21 so it probably won’t be that long. Not sure what we will get next. I have been conscientious about water levels and keeping the trailer on shore power when parked at home. Enjoying your daily report from the desert Southwest.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
When the label under the seat cushion says “ battery disconnect on, except when in storage”
If the disconnect is on, doesn’t that mean the battery is disconnected? So when it’s in storage, why would you connect the battery? Seems backwards to me…..
That's why a switch like this is routinely labelled "Use" and "Store"... no "on" or "off" and no confusion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E19'
My little pea-brain gets hopelessly befuddled with all this ON / OFF / OPENED / CLOSED / CONNECTED / DISCONNECTED business. I just remember that (at least in my 2015 E19) the switch UP turns the 12 volt stuff ON, and switch DOWN turns 12 volt stuff OFF - just like a 120 volt wall switch in a house. Easy to remember. But I suppose it's possible that other peoples' trailers might have the switch oriented differently.

I just leave the switch DOWN during storage (unplugged) and let the solar panel work its photon magic to keep the batteries charged up.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
My little pea-brain
I better have a look inside my skull - since I have the same problem. I will report back if I find a similar size organ.

But in the meantime, this is my trick to overcome the UP/DOWN uncertainty: When getting ready to leave the trailer in storage (no shore power available unfortunately), I turn on a couple of bright lights, then just before heading out the door flip the switch. If the lights go off (and they usually do) then I know I have disconnected the battery from the 12V system. The only reason I go through this routine is to prevent any accidental drain from discharging the batteries behind my back. (I actually do have one tiny red LED nightlight in the bathroom that runs 24/7 - no switch).

Like many others I leave the solar running to keep the batteries charged. Winter solar, with its low sun, frequent clouds and occasional snow cover, provides much less power than summer so I don't worry about overcharge.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Every once in a while we are using 12 volt captains lights or ceiling lights while not connected to shore power and one of the grandkids is “worming around” at the table and trying to slide out underneath the table and they run across the switch. Lights out till the switch is flipped back to on.
who needs grandkids? I've done this while lounging in the U dinette, and its why I'm replacing that $#@$#$% toggle switch with a rotary marine style battery switch.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
who needs grandkids? I've done this while lounging in the U dinette, and its why I'm replacing that $#@$#$% toggle switch with a rotary marine style battery switch.
That was my very first 'mod'
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #13

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Batteries

We left our E21 up in Northern Illinois for the Winter Used RV antifreeze in sinks toilet and emptied all our tanks . We left the batteries switch on but we have 160 watt solar and we made sure batteries were filled and fully charged back in November Will the Solar keep the batteries fully charged We will be back in June Hopefully with no problems Jim W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We left our E21 up in Northern Illinois for the Winter Used RV antifreeze in sinks toilet and emptied all our tanks . We left the batteries switch on but we have 160 watt solar and we made sure batteries were filled and fully charged back in November Will the Solar keep the batteries fully charged We will be back in June Hopefully with no problems Jim W
yeah, it should keep it fine, as long as its not under a carport (or a foot of snow).
Old 02-12-2022, 11:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 5.0
Iowa Dave.
FYI... I have an 2016 5.0 ta with original batteries. Solar panel and plugged in over the winter. Hope to get another year(s) out of them... Cheers, Joe
JumpinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:45 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJoe View Post
Iowa Dave.
FYI... I have an 2016 5.0 ta with original batteries. Solar panel and plugged in over the winter. Hope to get another year(s) out of them... Cheers, Joe
yeah, you can find a pair of GC2 batts almost anywhere if they fail on you on the road.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
On my last year 21C the Battery Disconnect only says Off And On. When switch is turned to On all 12 volt systems are on. When turned to Off, all systems are off.

So, if you read it as battery disconnect is on, you would think the disconnect is on, meaning it is disconnected. Not the case.

It appears there is no uniformity within the disconnect switches between trailers of various ages.

Perhaps It’s should just say “Battery Switch”. Leave the word disconnect out. Easy, batteries are On and batteries are Off.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
On my last year 21C the Battery Disconnect only says Off And On. When switch is turned to On all 12 volt systems are on. When turned to Off, all systems are off.

So, if you read it as battery disconnect is on, you would think the disconnect is on, meaning it is disconnected. Not the case.

It appears there is no uniformity within the disconnect switches between trailers of various ages.

Perhaps It’s should just say “Battery Switch”. Leave the word disconnect out. Easy, batteries are On and batteries are Off.
Had I not changed the switch to a rotary, I would be confused now. Of course, confusing me is no challenge.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:59 AM   #19

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Had I not changed the switch to a rotary, I would be confused now. Of course, confusing me is no challenge.
Lol. I hear about those that have switches in the cockpit and those that have them in the lockers. Mine is in the aft locker with a large handle. Hey why they do not use a rotary marine type switch is beyond me. Guess the same reason they do not put locking type doors on the city/gravity fill outlets. Costs an extra 15-30 bucks per unit.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Guess the same reason they do not put locking type doors on the city/gravity fill outlets. Costs an extra 15-30 bucks per unit.
Or maybe because, for security purposes, they are totally ineffective.
Attached Thumbnails
fresh water 2.jpg