Battery Monitor - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #81

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I confirm today on my trailer the break away switch will work with the battery switch in the off position.
Good to know. The breakaway wiring always hot is a good idea and I hope they are applying it consistently.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #82

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Snowstorm going on right now, my rig is under cover and I will await good weather and do the testing then. It may be awhile. The next week calls for below 0F temperatures. Yikes!
It's supposed to be -17 F at our condo in Lanesboro,MN. That is move-in day for one of our residents.

OTOH, it will be in the 70's for us in Chiricahua National Monument on Sunday. Are you still working, or do you like the winter weather in balmy southern Wisconsin?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #83

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
It's supposed to be -17 F at our condo in Lanesboro,MN. That is move-in day for one of our residents.

OTOH, it will be in the 70's for us in Chiricahua National Monument on Sunday. Are you still working, or do you like the winter weather in balmy southern Wisconsin?

Enjoy,

Perry

We've been retired for 12 years, but have dealt with elderly parents and an ill sibling. That is resolved so now we can travel.....and then the pandemic.
We do usually get away mid-winter for a few weeks....flying. Last trip we were in your intended area..... the Coronado National Forest’s Sunny Flat campground just outside of Portal, Arizona ranks as one of the very best sights.

Also in that area are the Kartchner Cavens. Finally stopped in there and was impressed with the Caverns.

https://azstateparks.com/KartchnerYosemite of Arizona.

bon voyage,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:32 AM   #84

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Last trip we were in your intended area..... the Coronado National Forest’s Sunny Flat campground just outside of Portal, Arizona ranks as one of the very best sights.

Also in that area are the Kartchner Cavens. Finally stopped in there and was impressed with the Caverns.

https://azstateparks.com/KartchnerYosemite of Arizona.
We've hiked Cave Creek Canyon (Yosemite of Arizona) the past two winters, staying at Rusty's, since our friends won't stay at the canyon's campground with their Airstream. We've also stayed on the other side at Chiricahua NM three times. We'll cross over to Cave Creek to hike twice this next week. Both sides are gorgeous, but very different.

We've also been at Kartchner the past two years, but not this year. The caves are a very interesting, but hiking is limited. We try to stay a week minimum, so there are long drives to find hiking when at Kartchner.

Currently using my phone at a laundromat at Las Cruces, then heading for Chiricahua NM for a week.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #85

OK. Nothing new...you knew

Interesting part of AZ.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Stayed at that very Cracker Barrel, Perry. It's our go to stop when we go between Phoenix and Ft Worth for the family trips. Stayed about 3-4 nights at the Las Cruces CB over the last two years and love the breakfast a short walk out the trailer in the morning.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #87

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
I've still been pondering this observation. I looked in what manuals I have and have not found anything.

So if I plug in to electric, is the converter charging the battery whether the battery disconnect switch is active or off? Or is the converter ONLY charging when the battery switch is ON and active?

I see the 14.5V-ish at plug-in in either ON or OFF condition at the battery switch. Does the converter at start-up send a bulk 14.5V charge into the system even if the battery is disconnected from the system?

And someone lately brought up this and got me pondering more. Will the break-away switch and brakes work, if needed, whether the battery switch is On or Off?

Got a notion?
I know our 2016 classic 19 will not charge the battery’s without the battery switch turned on when plugged in. I leave an interior light on when in storage with power. That way you know when you are charging. Unplug then turn the switch off. Try checking the voltage at your batteries with the switch off then turn it on and check your voltage at the batteries.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #88

Yes

All these tests will have to await better weather. Below 0F now, too dang cold to be messing about.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm not sure whether I should find a different thread (or start a new one) for this, but since this thread is where I started (https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post368555) I decided to catch up the results.

I found the batteries dropping at a faster rate than expected even when charged to 100%. Called Battleborn & they asked me to top off the batteries, then remove them from the trailer and each other. I did, and the 3 day drop is less than .1 volts on each battery. The conclusion is that there was at least a one amp hour draw with the battery disconnect switch open. No idea why it doesn't show on the 712 battery monitor, but the possibilities include the battery monitor itself, the "keep settings" connection to the radio, and the Victron solar controller (the solar panels were disconnected, but the controller still connected to the batteries). I'll explore the wiring to check if there is anything else that might have caused the problem, but it doesn't seem to be a battery problem.
Following up on my lithium self discharge quest, the batteries were at 13.67V & 13.69V on January 28th. As of today February 20th, the batteries are at 13.32V & 13.34V.