Brakes - do I need to replace the full assembly - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, previously 2006 17B
Brakes - do I need to replace the full assembly

We have put on about 30,000 Km on our 2006 17B and when I last repacked the wheel bearings in Dec 08, one of the brake shoes had about 1/8" wear remaining, since that time we have put on an additional 10,000 Km.

We are planning a cross-Canada trip in 2 months and I have been quoted $450-$650 by the Victoria RV dealers and a brake shop for a bearing repack and brake shoe replacement. They all insist it is best to replace the entire brake assembly- their quotes did not include replacement of any bearings if needed or bearing seals. I had no idea trailer brakes were that costly to replace.

Looking at the Dexter Axle website they now have "Never-adjust" brake assemblies for the 10" x 2 1/4" electric brakes - the web price is only $US8.00 more per side than the regular assembly our axles use. None of the "pros" were aware that this was an option.

I also plan to install a second battery and crawling under the trailer and doing the work myself appears to be a best option so I can afford the battery project. Not having to adjust the brakes might also be the way to go, no more bruised knuckles.

Prior to ordering parts I wonder what others in the Escape community have done when their brakes needed replacement?

Gerry W
"The Escapist"

Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, previously 2006 17B
Re: Brakes - good news

So I guess I was in a worry mode when I wrote the above. I pulled the wheels, repacked the bearings and cleaned and adjusted the brakes - there was no discernable brake wear since the last time I checked the brakes.

Cost, under $12.00 for new seals and a can of Gunk brake cleaner, I had the wheel bearing grease from the previouos job and if that cost me $5.00 I would be suprised.

I also found that the JB Group a local auto parts dealer had Dexter Axle parts, l obtained a quote for the Never-Adjust brake assembly at $70.00 a side.

Now, to build the battery box under the dinette.

Gerry W
The Escapist
Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Re: Brakes - do I need to replace the full assembly

Wow! Very expensive quote for the brake work. You can purchase a complete assembled brake assembly (Dexter) for $65-$70 per side from Escape. Since you are capable of repacking the bearings, you can easily do the brake job. Four bolts and re-attach brake wires and that's it! I haven't priced out the auto adjust setup....sounds like you add another $10 each.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote