Bug control? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #21

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
shaking out shoes

That also works for scorpions.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
That also works for scorpions.
Yes & no... I spent a couple of minutes trying to shake a scorpion off a camp chair. It really didn't want to leave. Ever since then I have wondered whether they would shake out of a boot. I keep mine inside the trailer!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #23
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have been using "Cedarside" products for years now . It works including for fleas on your pets . Flea products out there cut your dog's lifespan by 25% , it is poison going in their bloodstream . Texas cedar oil is a natural product .Pat
Please cite relevant scientific evidence in support of this claim. By which I mean peer-reviewed, double blind... not just anecdotal. Thank you. This should be educational.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have been using "Cedarside" products for years now . It works including for fleas on your pets . Flea products out there cut your dog's lifespan by 25% , it is poison going in their bloodstream . Texas cedar oil is a natural product .Pat
I agree. Any kind of pet medicine that is taken internally impacts liver, kidneys and other organs. Whereas topical treatment, particularly using natural ingredients are more gentle for both you and your pet. I have never used any internal preventative treatment for any of my 6 pets and Franklin is 15 years old....
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #25

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Move to Oregon. The most problems we have are slugs and they don't fly!
I've been at places along the PCT in Oregon that had enough mosquitos that it seemed my 220-pound body would levitate. Hikers were quitting the trail around Diamond Lake because of the mosquitos. While traveling across Oregon on my motorcycle I stopped at a rest stop along US97 and could not stay because the mosquitoes were so bad. So the biting bug problem in Oregon certainly varies from west to east. Growing up in eastern South Dakota, I am no stranger to mosquitoes but absence certainly has not made the heart grow fonder.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don’t have much of a phobia for insect or arachnid pests but I do not like ticks of any kind. I had a Certified pesticide applicators license in Iowa from 1975 through 2015 and sprayed a lot of chemicals from DDT on golf courses for Mosquitoes in 1970 to fungicides, herbicides and many different insecticides. For my money you couldn’t beat products with bifenthrin for insects and other ground crawling organisms. We used a lot of stuff that probably wasn’t good for our systems. It’s history now. I grow apples in my yard. They are wormy. I have about 100 knives capable of cleaning up an apple. I do not spray the apples but living in the country we are regularly visited by crop
dusters. I heard Dr. Paul Erlich at Iowa State University on the first earth day in 1970. I can still remember his question to the audience. “Would you buy a wormy Apple?”
We all make choices every day. Some days I eat wormy apples other days I eat a store bought or orchard grown apple. And know they are sprayed 14 times a season.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I've been at places along the PCT in Oregon that had enough mosquitos that it seemed my 220-pound body would levitate. Hikers were quitting the trail around Diamond Lake because of the mosquitos. While traveling across Oregon on my motorcycle I stopped at a rest stop along US97 and could not stay because the mosquitoes were so bad. So the biting bug problem in Oregon certainly varies from west to east. Growing up in eastern South Dakota, I am no stranger to mosquitoes but absence certainly has not made the heart grow fonder.
Yes, we certainly have mosquitoes big enough to haul off small dogs. The solution is wind. They don't fly when it's windy. So whether at the beach or inland, you want some breeze. If necessary turn on a fan! I have a 'clamp fan' that I attach to the awning arm and plug into the outlet by the wheel well. Then I can sit comfortably out on my patio.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t have much of a phobia for insect or arachnid pests but I do not like ticks of any kind. I had a Certified pesticide applicators license in Iowa from 1975 through 2015 and sprayed a lot of chemicals from DDT on golf courses for Mosquitoes in 1970 to fungicides, herbicides and many different insecticides. For my money you couldn’t beat products with bifenthrin for insects and other ground crawling organisms. We used a lot of stuff that probably wasn’t good for our systems. It’s history now. I grow apples in my yard. They are wormy. I have about 100 knives capable of cleaning up an apple. I do not spray the apples but living in the country we are regularly visited by crop
dusters. I heard Dr. Paul Erlich at Iowa State University on the first earth day in 1970. I can still remember his question to the audience. “Would you buy a wormy Apple?”
We all make choices every day. Some days I eat wormy apples other days I eat a store bought or orchard grown apple. And know they are sprayed 14 times a season.
Iowa Dave
This explains a lot......see you and Rita soon
Old 03-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Our inside-the-trailer fly notswatter is a Ryobi cordless hand vac...
What a great idea and I have a Makita 18v vacuum that is up for the task.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 Aliner & 2019 Escape 21 - Adventure Orange
For Upper Midwest wet summer year twilight mosquito assaults we run the vent fan blowing in to pressurize the camper and keep them out for a pleasant night sleep. This works for most flying insects (except no-see-ums/midges). For Upper Midwest dry summer black fly attacks cover any part of your body that is white with something dark or make sure someone who has hair more white than yours is setting close to you.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Here is the SE where the last two years we've had a lot of rain and heat the bugs of all kinds are BAD. I just got back from a trip to Little Talbot Island SP and pulled 3 ticks off me and as of yesterday nine off the dog. Mosquito's are a given and the further south you go add in those no see-ums and you are spending your day swatting.
We use to always go on a summer camping trip to the beach but have decided enough with the bugs already so going to skip that this year. We do the fan thing like crazy but they just get where the wind is not. I've always heard Avon skin so soft works for bug repellent, did not make a difference for me. My son in law works in the tree business and he says Deet is really only thing that works and we know how good that is for us.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
...we know how good that is for us.
I always have problems with enigmatic statements like this so I did a google search and found some mixed information. I think we all know how good Lyme disease is for us.
https://www.google.com/search?q=heat...hrome&ie=UTF-8